300 Norma Improved build

marley

Very Active Member
I’m having Ty Shaw with Flatline Precision do a new build for me. 300 Norma Improved. Some may think I’m nuts but I’m having him do a 22” Proof Research barrel to run it suppressed. Should still get a 230 grain berger going 2950ish with N565. Impact NBK action, Manners LRH stock, Triggertech trigger, and thinking of going with a Kahles 5-25 scope. Should be right around 9 lbs. Ty is going to cut down an old barrel to use for fire forming and test some velocities. Can’t say enough good about Ty and his perfectionism. I’ll keep you guys updated on it. Should be a fun one.

Last edited:
M,
I don’t think you’re nuts at all.
As we speak, I’m looking at a 22” and 24” proof sitting here at my place and debating on which to use for a 28 N build.
Ya, that’s nuts but I have looooong rifles already.
Z

I just sold a sweet 28 Nosler to build this 300. I’d go with the 22” if you hunt with a suppressor.

I’ve actually got 22”, 24” and 28” barrels sitting here.
I should decide before Wednesday morning and I’ll report back.
I do know that I won’t be using the 28”. Suppressed, that thing would have a 39” long tube!!!! Dang sweet but not what I need right now.

I’ve actually got 22”, 24” and 28” barrels sitting here.
I should decide before Wednesday morning and I’ll report back.
I do know that I won’t be using the 28”. Suppressed, that thing would have a 39” long tube!!!! Dang sweet but not what I need right now.
A 22” barrel with a suppressor wouldn’t be that long. I have a 6.5 SST with a 20” barrel and it’s perfect but according to Thunderbeast the shortest I can go with the Norma is 22”

I’m having Ty Shaw with Flatline Precision do a new build for me. 300 Norma Improved. Some may think I’m nuts but I’m having him do a 22” Proof Research barrel to run it suppressed. Should still get a 230 grain berger going 2950ish with N565. Impact NBK action, Manners LRH stock, Triggertech trigger, and thinking of going with a Kahles 5-25 scope. Should be right around 9 lbs. Ty is going to cut down an old barrel to use for fire forming and test some velocities. Can’t say enough good about Ty and his perfectionism. I’ll keep you guys updated on it. Should be a fun one.
Don't know what that all means, but it sounds impressive. Correct me if I'm wrong, Marley--but don't you have a sh*tload of animals to your name already? Like you need a new, improved gun. ?

Don't know what that all means, but it sounds impressive. Correct me if I'm wrong, Marley--but don't you have a sh*tload of animals to your name already? Like you need a new, improved gun. ?
Haha always improving is a good thing right? Mostly I just get bored easily with gear and I’m constantly selling and replacing. Needed? No. Wanted? Yes.

Should be sweet dude! N570 shot great with 230's in a 300 NMI, but that stuff is DIRTY. I'll keep shooting it in the next one also though. It shoots great and consistent, just have to clean pretty often.

Looking to buy one
I'd be looking for something else personally. Kahles has great glass and a desirable feature set but they're notorious for not tracking correctly and loosing zero. Not something I'd spend $3k+ on.

I'd be taking a hard look at a NF ATACR or ZCO if you want to spend a little more.

Last edited:
I'd be looking for something else personally. Kahles has great glass and a desirable feature set but they're notorious for not tracking correctly and loosing zero. Not something I'd spend $3k+ on.

I'd bee taking a hard look at a NF ATACR or ZCO if you want to spend a little more.
Or March FX 4.5-28X52. But weiserbucks almost sold me on the ZCO also lol. When's TT coming out with a 4-20?!

That’s good to know about the Kahles. I love the Zero compromise but they are really heavy at 38 oz. I have a leupold VX5 HD on my 6.5 and I love it. Maybe I’ll try the Mark 5. I have a Nightforce NSX I could put on it too.

Sounds all good except for that proof barrel. Not a fan but hopefully you got a good one. Their QC has gone way down hill

30B3E3AB-87B5-4C63-85FC-074CA871F9D9.jpeg

I only have experience with one proof barrel but I would say it shoots alright ?. That’s a five shot group.

What carbon barrel do you prefer?
I actually don’t bother with any of them anymore. I’ve shot proof and CA, I know benchmark has a pretty good one now but the reality is they dont do a thing steel doesn’t do including cooling down. Ive got one left that’s a 1000 yard gun all day long and I still think there a gimmick. They look cool, that’s about it. And when your shoot them out all you gained was a barrel that’s twice as much to replace as steel

Decided to go with a NF NX8 4x32x50 F1. Not as heavy as the others. I love the ZCO but it’s so heavy.
NF is almost never a bad choice, but the ZCO is worth the weight. I have one and I never even consider the weight because it does everything so well. I even got @Huntnful on board.

NF is almost never a bad choice, but the ZCO is worth the weight. I have one and I never even consider the weight because it does everything so well. I even got @Huntnful on board.
By "on board" he means "bankrupted me" hahaha. But yeah that ZCO 420 is pretty magical to get behind. But I still don't think I would put one on a lighter weight build. But for the 300 NMI, it'll be so damn nice.

Two things that get me with ZCO…..the weight and no option for MOA, only mils and I’m too lazy to relearn a new system.

Two things that get me with ZCO…..the weight and no option for MOA, only mils and I’m too lazy to relearn a new system.
It is heavy, but they do offer MOA now also. If you consider it again in the future!!

My action is taking a while to get DLC coated and back to Ty for him to finish up my 300 NMI. I can't wait though!

I've been done with proof for awhile. On the same build got 2 bad barrels in a row. Proof refunded my money but I lost the gunsmith cost on both use benchmark carbon now...no regrets.

Kahles 5-25 is one of the top scopes for PRS and only one of a few to pass Ryan Pierces jig test for scope movement under recoil...have one on my 300 norma...can't go wrong with 4-20 ATACR either for that build.

Kahles 5-25 is one of the top scopes for PRS and only one of a few to pass Ryan Pierces jig test for scope movement under recoil...have one on my 300 norma...can't go wrong with 4-20 ATACR either for that build.

I'd be taking a hard look at a NF ATACR or ZCO if you want to spend a little more.
This is good advice. Hard pass on Swaro/Khales.

Sorry, sorta, to hijack your thread, but I figured all the smart folks here can answer this....... .300 Norma, .300 NI, .300 Sherman.....are there any differences giving one a clear advantage?

Sorry, sorta, to hijack your thread, but I figured all the smart folks here can answer this....... .300 Norma, .300 NI, .300 Sherman.....are there any differences giving one a clear advantage?
The 300 Sherman will launch a 943 grain bullet at 4581 FPS with zero pressure signs. Just ask Richard Sherman and the members of his cult.

300 NM is an awesome cartridge, 300 NMI offers more speed and less case growth than a standard NM. The only reason not to go straight to a NM/NMI is if your existing action has a standard magnum bolt face, they require a Lapua bolt face action. If you're in the market for a new action there's more than enough options out there to suit any need.

just curious....I've fire formed a fair amount of brass and never loaded them even close to hot........how many pieces of brass would you have to fire form to worry about shooting out the barrel to do it??....

Seems like making things up to worry about...

just curious....I've fire formed a fair amount of brass and never loaded them even close to hot........how many pieces of brass would you have to fire form to worry about shooting out the barrel to do it??....

Seems like making things up to worry about...
I would think it’s more for just being able to form them fast. Back to back shooting. The last 100 pieces I formed with my 300 NMI I did 3 minutes between shots, swapping an ice water towel on the barrel.

It’s more about being able to fireform a bunch real quickly. Don’t have to worry about heating up the barrel. Brass on the 300 NMI should get 10+ reloads so I don’t need to fireform that many.

Years and years ago (and before I knew better), I damaged a 257AI barrel by fire forming too quickly.
Pound 'em hot and pay the price!
Live and learn!

I absolutely love having a sacrificial fire-form barrel for the race-horse cartridges, if it's an option and the barrel is free, of course.

At my age, I'm sure that 600-700 round count out of a hunting rifle is plenty to get me to my end of days. ?

Zeke

How many have you burned out?

Burned out is a relative term. Rate of fire, powder, etc. From comp guys I've talked say that's about when accuracy starts to fall off with full power loads with a hot powder. Not as bad as 28 Nosler though that's for sure...you can burn those out in 50 rounds which is incredible.

The one 300 Norma barrel that I smoked shot great until 1300 rounds and then completely crapped the bed. H1000 goes a long way towards not killing them prematurely, N570 is pretty hard on them but the performance is undeniable.

Talking to comp shooters about burning up barrels is like talking to drag racers about fuel mileage.

Shoot them often, when the barrel is hot, and almost anything will go away in somewhat of a hurry!!!! Yep, fast and furious does it in relatively short order.

I can think of 5 or 6, off the top of my head, that I've burned out. Damn prairie dogs anyway!!! I take more rifles nowadays.

Note: I've never had a 300 Norma so my experience with burned out barrels is confined to 22-250, 220 Swift and 243 mostly.

Zeke

Damn, slow your roll buddy! 3 shot strings max and let cool. On a 5+ shot string that 5th shot does more damage than the previous 4 combined!
Ya, sure, there used to be those days at the range but that’s more than a few decades ago. I wasn’t talking paper targets! Haha

When I’m on a roll, those prairie dogs are the death of a few good barrels for me and I loved every minute of it!!!!!

Nowadays I have slightly more control but I also take at least 3 different rifles. Shoot 3 or 4 shots and switch rifles.

I’ve never “shot out” a true big game rifle. I have seen a few “cleaned out” by others from improper cleaning. That’s actually what happens to “most” big game rifles that I’ve seen. Not all but most.

Zeke

I’m having Ty Shaw with Flatline Precision do a new build for me. 300 Norma Improved. Some may think I’m nuts but I’m having him do a 22” Proof Research barrel to run it suppressed. Should still get a 230 grain berger going 2950ish with N565. Impact NBK action, Manners LRH stock, Triggertech trigger, and thinking of going with a Kahles 5-25 scope. Should be right around 9 lbs. Ty is going to cut down an old barrel to use for fire forming and test some velocities. Can’t say enough good about Ty and his perfectionism. I’ll keep you guys updated on it. Should be a fun one
Definitely not nuts. Running a 22” 300 prc with the 225 eldm @2820fps. Shoots lights out. Just got my GWerks 8ight suppressor. 20-22” barrels are the only way to go.

Other than some laser work being done in the magazine face it’s done!! Just under 9 lbs with the scope. Now to work up some loads.

B2C6B3CF-567F-47BF-819D-C846750AA265.jpeg

Great looking rifle and I agree that 22 inch won't hurt a thing. My theory is once you get the big bergers moving they're like a freight train headed down hill. They don't slow down.

I'm building a 30-28 Nos now with a 24 inch barrel on an AN-TI that will finish out at just over 8 scoped. I'll be adding that TS ARCA rail to mine. Thanks for the tip.

Next you're going to tell us that you are Thor! :ROFLMAO:

That, I cannot believe so don't even try. :cool:

Zeke

No I'm hoping that I can climb to the top of the mountain without my rifle and then when I need it, I can summon it by extending my arm and opening my hand.
Sounds totally awesome to me!

I wish I could summon a rifle like that too! Some of mine are heavy beasts.

Zeke

I need a little help. I'm having Ty build me a 6mm but the flux capacitor on the overdrive valve is 1/16" out of shim. I'm wondering if I overhaul the weaver rail mount with a toothpick, then increase my penile adapter if that might work as well as the cam shaft bungsucker? If the bungsucker is out of alignment it might cause uneven wear on the scrotal valve though right?

Lastly the only thing I understood in this thread was "candy bar" you're all a bunch of nerds!

I need a little help. I'm having Ty build me a 6mm but the flux capacitor on the overdrive valve is 1/16" out of shim. I'm wondering if I overhaul the weaver rail mount with a toothpick, then increase my penile adapter if that might work as well as the cam shaft bungsucker? If the bungsucker is out of alignment it might cause uneven wear on the scrotal valve though right?

Lastly the only thing I understood in this thread was "candy bar" you're all a bunch of nerds!
Maybe just sticks and strings for you....and candy bars. :oops:

IMG_1949.jpeg

Completely finished! I loaded up 80 fire forming rounds with 150 grain junk bullets with 80 grains of retumbo and banged them out today. I used Ty’s fire forming junk barrel and had that thing almost flaming red. Even with the shot out barrel and junk bullets all 80 shots were in an inch and an half hole. After fire forming all the brass I loaded up 4 with 245 grain bergers and 86 grains of N565. We chronographed them at 2900 FPS and all 4 were just one ragged hole. She’s a shooter!

View attachment 109654
Completely finished! I loaded up 80 fire forming rounds with 150 grain junk bullets with 80 grains of retumbo and banged them out today. I used Ty’s fire forming junk barrel and had that thing almost flaming red. Even with the shot out barrel and junk bullets all 80 shots were in an inch and an half hole. After fire forming all the brass I loaded up 4 with 245 grain bergers and 86 grains of N565. We chronographed them at 2900 FPS and all 4 were just one ragged hole. She’s a shooter!
It's always a fun time to finally test a new rifle. I think you live a charmed life to always have them shoot one ragged hole!
Now what are we chasing with it?

I have way more Points than what both of those tags have traditionally needed to draw so they should both be guaranteed tags this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom