300 rum ballistics

elk_crazy

I have been looking at remingtons ballistics on their web site for this caliber. my questions is that most ballistics are done with a 24' inch barrel i have 26'inch barrel how much more velocity am i going to be getting or losing.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-04 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]50 fps per inch. Or so the experts say. What load are you using? And I don't think Ultras come with a 24 inch barrel. mtmuley

Agreed...50 fps, per inch. That's what I've always been told as well. My Rem 700 is a 26 barrel inch also, I love it.

Its immaterial. If you have ballistics software, you'll see the the difference for real world purposes is negligible. If you reload, you can make up any perceived difference in length. I'm shooting a 180 grn Hornady Interbond at 3450 fps through a 24" barrel with a .75" moa. Only took me about 30 load combinations and three days at the range to find it.

You're lucky Triple BB...I had to fight for quite sometime before I found a couple accurate loads for mine. Lots of powder and primers to finally get a couple good loads.

TripleBB, What rifle are you shooting that has a 24 inch barrel chambered for the .300 Ultra? And what powder are you using to tweak that kind of velocity from a barrel two inches shorter than my rifle, and still besting my loads by 100 fps. Just curious, because I'd like to buy some. mtmuley

I have also never heard of a .300 RUM coming with anything less than a 26" pipe.Mine was built by Rocky Mountian Rifles and gets 3350fps from a 180 grain Nosler Partition and just a hair under 3200fps from the 200 grain Nosler Accubond.These are hand loads from a 26"pipe with a RMR custom brake.I think Remington claims to get 3300fps from the factory Scirocco but I have never seen one chronoed.I would be surprized to see 3250 especially from a 24"pipe.

>TripleBB, What rifle are you shooting
>that has a 24 inch
>barrel chambered for the .300
>Ultra? And what powder are
>you using to tweak that
>kind of velocity from a
>barrel two inches shorter than
>my rifle, and still besting
>my loads by 100 fps.
>Just curious, because I'd like
>to buy some. mtmuley
MM, I stand corrected, mine is a 26" barrel. I was thinking of one of my other rifles. I'm shooting Retumbo at 100.1 grns with Federal 215 primers. She's a bit warm with flattened primers, so load at your own risk. My compressed Retumbo loads didn't shoot worth a hoot, so I'd skip those bullets with a high BC if you're going after max velocities. You might check out Longrangehunting.com and Loadyourown.com for some good stuff on the 300 RUM.

Breakin in my buddies 300 rum trying to find a load.I have chroned the factory 180 sciroccos with the lowest at 3340 and the high at 3410fps.Factory ran about 3350 to 3300 out of my sendaro and both guns have 26" pipes.I think there website had them around 3250fps. MULEYZ

Mr. Sisk, just recently did a comparision on a bunch of cartrages comparing barrle lenght vs. velocity over at 24hour... the end result... roughly 25fps per inch. Balistic charts are just that... shoot over a chrony if you want accurate info, then shoot your gun at the range you plan on shooting too...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom