300 RUM reloading question

tsbret

I really have a few questions here, I drew a late season elk hunt in WY and wanted to use a 300 RUM that I had put a little lighter stock, a Timney trigger and muzzle brake on several years ago and sort of put in the safe. Just before I did so, I shot a couple larger management whitetails on some ranches down here in S Texas, both at 300 - 400 yds. Easily these deer are about 1/4 the size and structure of an elk, the ammo performed very well as they hit the ground without a quiver. I've hunted elk enough with a bow to know there is no comparison between these two animals in size or toughness.
With so many options today in powders and bullets I'm wondering if I should try to develop some loads and take advantage in the development available today in ammo and reloading components for the 300 RUM.
I have 8-10 boxes of 300 RUM Rem Core-Lokt Ammo remaining that is probably 10 yrs old in 185 Partition rounds that I used years ago and about 5-6 boxes of once fired cases. I'm really interested in developing and shooting the 200 gr Accubond using Hogden's Retumbo.
Question 1) do you guys see a significant difference in going the route of reloading the 200 gr Accubond's or sticking with the 185 gr Partition (Factory Loads), I've not been able find this powder or bullets in Texas and haven't been able to find them on-line over the last several of months. I have found and bought some IMR 7828 SSC but not the bullets.
Question 2) I've read that the 7828 SSC powder is "somewhat temperature sensitive", I'm not sure what that means, hotter burn rate or does it mean environmental temps like how it may react in the desert SW as opposed to high country freezing temps? Is it worth continuing looking around for the Retumbo?
Question 3) Thoughts on just sticking with Core-Lokt with the Partitions, it sounds like opportunities might be a 400-450 yd shot on this hunt. Quite a bit more room for error when you start shooting those distances even if you can get a rock steady rest so I'm not looking to be one those highly capable TV guys who shoot and kill animals at 600 -800 yds. But I do want to use the combination that gives the best performance. I'd love to hear thoughts.
I've read several of the older posts on this site about the 300 Rum and I've read that a couple of you really use the 300 Rum caliber as your preference.
I hope these aren't dumb questions if so please be easy on me! :unsure:

I think it really depends on what you are looking to accomplish and how much you enjoy reloading. Trying to be a long range Louie and smash one at 800 yards? Just wanting a “better” bullet?

You will probably not be able to find any retumbo right now. Other similar powders will work and might be easier to find. H1000, n570, 7828 as you mentioned. The whole temp stable thing will only matter if you are shooting way out there beyond 500-600 yards. In which case your load may be 50fps lower in velocity during November in WYO vs what you see in the summer Texas heat. That will not cause you to miss 500 yards and in.

Personally I do not believe elk are some mythical bulletproof creature that will soak up lead. If you shoot them in the lungs, they will die. If you make a bad shot, they might run off. 200gr accubond is a good bullet no doubt, personally I like a more frangible bullet that destroys tissue and doesn’t exit. To each their own.

My favorite load for two of the 300 RUMs I shoot is the 200 gr Accubond using Retumbo powder. My preference is shooting heavy bullets in big magnums, and especially at the speeds a RUM will produce. With 200 gr Accubonds my loads average 3200 fps and 3257 fps depending on the rifle.

Retumbo has been tough to find the last few years and unless you get lucky or pay a premium for it, you may not be able to find some/enough in time to do load development before your hunt. I have used H1000 in my RUM before, which is a good temp stable powder, but it will not get the level of velocity that Retumbo will produce.

With your hunt just a few months away, rather than chase one bullet and powder combo (which you may not be able to find) I would pick a premium bullet that you can get now (i.e. your partitions), use a powder (temp stable preferred) that you can get a few pounds of and spend the rest of your summer getting your rifle load dialed in and then focus your time practicing shooting.

If your rifle shoots the Partitions well, and you have them on hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use them if your expected shots are in the 400-500 yard range.

I think it really depends on what you are looking to accomplish and how much you enjoy reloading. Trying to be a long range Louie and smash one at 800 yards? Just wanting a “better” bullet?

You will probably not be able to find any retumbo right now. Other similar powders will work and might be easier to find. H1000, n570, 7828 as you mentioned. The whole temp stable thing will only matter if you are shooting way out there beyond 500-600 yards. In which case your load may be 50fps lower in velocity during November in WYO vs what you see in the summer Texas heat. That will not cause you to miss 500 yards and in.

Personally I do not believe elk are some mythical bulletproof creature that will soak up lead. If you shoot them in the lungs, they will die. If you make a bad shot, they might run off. 200gr accubond is a good bullet no doubt, personally I like a more frangible bullet that destroys tissue and doesn’t exit. To each their own.
Thanks for your input.
I'd rather try to find a way to get closer on opportunity 800 yds out than to risk a poor shot. I hunted in NM unit 13 probably 20 years ago with a Muzzy and was really confident out to 150 yds. The guy I hunted with brought along a Rem Ultimate 50 cal, which I shot some the prior day and he convinced me to take it along instead of my Muzzy; major mistake. We found a very good bull @ 375 yds and I took a shot with the Ultimate hitting him further back, more in the paunch twice, rather than in the lungs. It got late finding blood so we marked it well and it snowed about 2 foot that night. We never found that bull and spent the last three days of the season looking for ravens or some sign as the snow melted. Never found that bull, it still bugs me. With a decent rest I feel good shooting 400-500 yds with this RUM and the 185 Partitions and would rather hot foot it to cut the distance than cripple or lose an animal due to my irresponsibility.
So I'm feeling like if I cant find any Retumbo or and Accubonds and then have time to work on a load, I'm going to dance with the girl I have. It's been 100 to 107 degrees with heat indexes at 112+ the last 2wks, and the long range forecast says there's little change coming unless something brews up in the Gulf; so messing with temp sensitive powder and scratching around to find Accubond bullets doesn't sound like a good use of time and energy.
You made great points and your comments were helpful, thanks. Have a great summer and better hunting season. (y)

My favorite load for two of the 300 RUMs I shoot is the 200 gr Accubond using Retumbo powder. My preference is shooting heavy bullets in big magnums, and especially at the speeds a RUM will produce. With 200 gr Accubonds my loads average 3200 fps and 3257 fps depending on the rifle.

Retumbo has been tough to find the last few years and unless you get lucky or pay a premium for it, you may not be able to find some/enough in time to do load development before your hunt. I have used H1000 in my RUM before, which is a good temp stable powder, but it will not get the level of velocity that Retumbo will produce.

With your hunt just a few months away, rather than chase one bullet and powder combo (which you may not be able to find) I would pick a premium bullet that you can get now (i.e. your partitions), use a powder (temp stable preferred) that you can get a few pounds of and spend the rest of your summer getting your rifle load dialed in and then focus your time practicing shooting.

If your rifle shoots the Partitions well, and you have them on hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use them if your expected shots are in the 400-500 yard range.
Sandbagger,
Thanks for your thoughts, you also focused me on what I've got handy and just shoot this summer. I will will still look for the components mentioned here as I'd like to take some time in working up a load with the Accubonds. You're right in your comments and I'm comfortable in the rifle and the Partitions and in shooting an established system I've used in the past.

Thanks for your comments and help, stay cool and I hope you have a great hunting season!
Bret

As stated above, depends on the type of hunt. Is this foothills/steppe terrain or lodgepole forest? I like copper solids for timber elk hunting, lung shots are great, but inside 100 yards so is a bullet thru the front shoulder. If you're out in the open lobbing shots 700-800 yards look for high BC frangible. If you don't know it's hard to beat the partitions you already have.

The 200 grain Accubond is a fantastic bullet in the RUM. At 3200 plus no bullet kills better. Don't be afraid to push a lightweight mono at warp speed either. I've been shooting RUMs since 2000 and killed a lot of elk with one. mtmuley

As stated above, depends on the type of hunt. Is this foothills/steppe terrain or lodgepole forest? I like copper solids for timber elk hunting, lung shots are great, but inside 100 yards so is a bullet thru the front shoulder. If you're out in the open lobbing shots 700-800 yards look for high BC frangible. If you don't know it's hard to beat the partitions you already have.
Thanks for your response, yeah I love the Partitions and this late in the game I'm probably going to run with them. This hunt is mid November so probably some snow and moving elk. Have some access to some private so I don't expect timber terrain probably. I'm probably going to try to stick to a 500 yd limit unless I get some time to shoot some longer distances around here this summer. I do want to try some other bullets and and powders moving forward. Take car and good luck this fall!

The 200 grain Accubond is a fantastic bullet in the RUM. At 3200 plus no bullet kills better. Don't be afraid to push a lightweight mono at warp speed either. I've been shooting RUMs since 2000 and killed a lot of elk with one. mtmuley
Before I posted this thread I had read several of your previous post on the 300RUM and was wondering if you were going to get a chance to chime in. I've hunted with several 270's through the years mostly mule deer, whitetail deer and was blessed to hunt a stone sheep on a last minute cancellation hunt and can't complain about the caliber. I met a young fellow going in a gun shop with 700 LSS in a 300 Rum, he needed some money quick and was offered $200 for the gun by the gun shop. He said it kicked too hard and had only shot half a box through it, I offered him $300 when the guy behind the counter stepped away. He was so happy, he had just found out his new bride was pregnant and was upset he spent money on a rifle, so it was a win win. That was easily 20 yrs ago and I'd never really gotten too serious about the caliber just shot it occasionally to blow the dust out of it and hunted a few management bucks down in this country fattened on protein feeders. Mostly wanting to see what it would do on a 200lb buck. Man it was lights out like a lightning bolt hit them with the Partitions I had. So I really love hearing how people have listed this caliber as their go to rifle, so I will be trying new things and reading other forums to learn more about the rifle. I've seen where Zeke has written some good things about the RUM. Thanks for posting Mt Muley I appreciate it.

Bret

Thanks for your response, yeah I love the Partitions and this late in the game I'm probably going to run with them. This hunt is mid November so probably some snow and moving elk. Have some access to some private so I don't expect timber terrain probably. I'm probably going to try to stick to a 500 yd limit unless I get some time to shoot some longer distances around here this summer. I do want to try some other bullets and and powders moving forward. Take car and good luck this fall!
Don't overthink it. The kill zone on an elk is a 2 foot circle. One MOA at 500 yards is 5 inches. Have fun and good luck.

Don't overthink it. The kill zone on an elk is a 2 foot circle. One MOA at 500 yards is 5 inches. Have fun and good luck.
Thanks man I appreciate, I'm all in with what I have for now! Wish these 100+ degree days would let up, hate shooting having to let the barrel cool off before a second shot or third shot.

tsbret - I know you mentioned Retumbo in your post. If you are still seriously considering reloading for your RUM, 1lb canisters are in stock right now: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon-retumbo/
Hi BroadHead, I went right to the website, put in my cart and figured in my mind that shipping with Haz Mat might be an additional $10 -$12; I got a schooling real fast on Haz Mat shipping...the powder was $55 and the shipping and tax was $61. I'll probably hold off for a while and see if I can find it here later down the road. Thanks for the heads-up though!

Hi BroadHead, I went right to the website, put in my cart and figured in my mind that shipping with Haz Mat might be an additional $10 -$12; I got a schooling real fast on Haz Mat shipping...the powder was $55 and the shipping and tax was $61. I'll probably hold off for a while and see if I can find it here later down the road. Thanks for the heads-up though!
You're welcome. Just wanted to point out the opportunity as this is only the second time this year I've seen them in stock.

Prices are insane for sure. Keep us posted on your adventures with that RUM!

You're welcome. Just wanted to point out the opportunity as this is only the second time this year I've seen them in stock.

Prices are insane for sure. Keep us posted on your adventures with that RUM!
Will do my friend, I did find some 212 eldx this afternoon and ordered some, I haven't much on this bullet but might fool with it some

Will do my friend, I did find some 212 eldx this afternoon and ordered some, I haven't much on this bullet but might fool with it some
I shoot the ELDXs in my 28 Nosler because it shoots them so well. They will perform very similar to a Berger or other cup/core VLD type bullet, meaning they usually penetrate a few inches before expanding rapidly until they come apart. I'd recommend putting these types of bullets behind the front shoulder on an elk. I shot a big-bodied old bull last year at 46 yards low and tight behind the front shoulder and he fell instantly and died before he was able to get back up.
Good luck on your hunt. I like the advice given above, elk are not invincible and if you put any 30 cal bullet in the right spot at reasonable range, they will die very quickly. -----SS

Good points Sparks, saying that they penetrate, expand and then begin fragmenting, have you shot the ELD-X enough to say if they still retain a significant amount of mass and continue leaving a reasonable wound channel? Thanks fot the coaching above also!

Elk aren't invincible. But I like to use a bullet up to the task of any shot scenario. Frangible bullets are a no go for me. Not only in my RUM, but several other rifles as well. mtmuley

Lots of good info in this thread. Here's my opinion and that's really all it's worth but...

I'm a long-range guy and like heavy high BC bullets. I'm shooting the 230 Bergers at 3k from a 30 Nosler. I can do 6 inches or better from field positions at 850 and 5 inches from the bench at 1k with a lightweight rifle.

If you're looking at 500 max the 185 Partition will get you there and despite it's age old non flashy design it will get it done all day long. From a terminal perspective it's one of the better designs out there and has enough accuracy and BC to get you to 5-600 yards.

The 200 accubond is a fantastic bullet and one of the best all-around elk bullets every made IMO...but it's been scarcer than hen's teeth for way too long to make me want to develop a load with it.

It sounds like you have a factory rifle which means a 10 twist at best. That will limit you just a bit should you decide to load the higher BC VLDs. There's many good alternatives out there.

As for powders Retumbo and H1000 are go to for the RUM when it comes to accuracy and temp resistance. Both hard to find but they're popping up often enough these days that if you know where to look you'll gather some up.

IMO, of high importance is a good range finder and ballistic app as drop past 300 will get you with that bullet. Get out on a long sendero and practice practice practice.

Best of luck to ya.

Elk aren't invincible. But I like to use a bullet up to the task of any shot scenario. Frangible bullets are a no go for me. Not only in my RUM, but several other rifles as well. mtmuley
Thanks Mt Muley, yeah thats sort of why I asked the question. I shot 130 gr soft point Sierra bullets in a 270 in the early 70's as I started reloading and was not impressed. I switched to Partitions sometime in those days and never looked back. I won't go as far as saying that a more frangible bullet does not produce a terminal end effect. I'm concerned more of how long it takes to do so. Dropping an animal in its tracks or super quick is a great feeling. If a good wound channel or blood trail isn't evident or doesn't exist it doesn't really give a quick clean kill...I'd rather listen to someobe else's story about a tracking job around a campfire.
When it comes down to it, quick clean and efficient kills is really my goal when I pull the trigger. Soild base bullets in IHMO are the ticket I believe.
108 degrees and heat index of 116 again today, if this is what Hell is like I'm going work harder on my behavior! ?

Thanks Mt Muley, yeah thats sort of why I asked the question. I shot 130 gr soft point Sierra bullets in a 270 in the early 70's as I started reloading and was not impressed. I switched to Partitions sometime in those days and never looked back. I won't go as far as saying that a more frangible bullet does not produce a terminal end effect. I'm concerned more of how long it takes to do so. Dropping an animal in its tracks or super quick is a great feeling. If a good wound channel or blood trail isn't evident or doesn't exist it doesn't really give a quick clean kill...I'd rather listen to someobe else's story about a tracking job around a campfire.
When it comes down to it, quick clean and efficient kills is really my goal when I pull the trigger. Soild base bullets in IHMO are the ticket I believe.
108 degrees and heat index of 116 again today, if this is what Hell is like I'm going work harder on my behavior! ?
PM me and I will let you know how I have my RUM set up. 22 years and counting. mtmuley

Lots of good info in this thread. Here's my opinion and that's really all it's worth but...

I'm a long-range guy and like heavy high BC bullets. I'm shooting the 230 Bergers at 3k from a 30 Nosler. I can do 6 inches or better from field positions at 850 and 5 inches from the bench at 1k with a lightweight rifle.

If you're looking at 500 max the 185 Partition will get you there and despite it's age old non flashy design it will get it done all day long. From a terminal perspective it's one of the better designs out there and has enough accuracy and BC to get you to 5-600 yards.

The 200 accubond is a fantastic bullet and one of the best all-around elk bullets every made IMO...but it's been scarcer than hen's teeth for way too long to make me want to develop a load with it.

It sounds like you have a factory rifle which means a 10 twist at best. That will limit you just a bit should you decide to load the higher BC VLDs. There's many good alternatives out there.

As for powders Retumbo and H1000 are go to for the RUM when it comes to accuracy and temp resistance. Both hard to find but they're popping up often enough these days that if you know where to look you'll gather some up.

IMO, of high importance is a good range finder and ballistic app as drop past 300 will get you with that bullet. Get out on a long sendero and practice practice practice.

Best of luck to ya.
Thanks for your thoughts Slick 8, I enjoy hearing you guy's experiences and ideas on shooting and hunting in general. I ordered some 212 eldx bullets with the idea of sticking with the Partitions for this hunt. So I'm really just messing around and was thinking of developing a load and shooting at some longer ranges. I haven't reloaded in some time and I had given my old reloader, bench and accessories to hunting buddy to use. He seemed to have gotten comfortable with the set up so I gave it all to him a few years ago (RCBS jr. manual scale; single powder drop etc) and started picking up a new reloader, some dies, manuals etc over the last year or so. His wife called me a couple of weeks ago and told me he's been admitted to and advanced Alzheimer care center and did I want that stuff back. About a year ago I started piddling on the loading bench and shooting bench.
Man the shooting world has really evolved and changed in the last 30 yrs and during that time if I drew a tag in a western state I'd shoot some stockpiled premium factory ammo. Living in ranch country in S Texas, coyotes, hogs, and jack rabbits have always been plentiful, that and community turkey shoots kept my shooting sharp.
With all that said, over the last year I've realized certain powders, bullets, and even primers are tough to find. I'm now not sure of the wisdom in burning powder and bullets not to mention reducing the lifespan of 300 RUM brass just to shoot. We're almost in July so unless I can find some Retumbo or H1000 in Texas or maybe NM, I'll be shooting the factory Partitions I've had squirreled away. Broadhead, on this thread turned me on to some Retumbo but Haz-Mat, shipping and taxes added up to $10 more than the 1lb of powder. If I can find it in Texas or NM, I'll load up Momma and make a drive of it and take her out to eat!
If you run across AB 200 gr bullets or powder down this way please PM me.
Man you've got that 30 Nosler with the Bergers dialed in! Hope you've got a hunt or two planned this year! Thanks again Slick 8

Thanks for your thoughts Slick 8, I enjoy hearing you guy's experiences and ideas on shooting and hunting in general. I ordered some 212 eldx bullets with the idea of sticking with the Partitions for this hunt. So I'm really just messing around and was thinking of developing a load and shooting at some longer ranges. I haven't reloaded in some time and I had given my old reloader, bench and accessories to hunting buddy to use. He seemed to have gotten comfortable with the set up so I gave it all to him a few years ago (RCBS jr. manual scale; single powder drop etc) and started picking up a new reloader, some dies, manuals etc over the last year or so. His wife called me a couple of weeks ago and told me he's been admitted to and advanced Alzheimer care center and did I want that stuff back. About a year ago I started piddling on the loading bench and shooting bench.
Man the shooting world has really evolved and changed in the last 30 yrs and during that time if I drew a tag in a western state I'd shoot some stockpiled premium factory ammo. Living in ranch country in S Texas, coyotes, hogs, and jack rabbits have always been plentiful, that and community turkey shoots kept my shooting sharp.
With all that said, over the last year I've realized certain powders, bullets, and even primers are tough to find. I'm now not sure of the wisdom in burning powder and bullets not to mention reducing the lifespan of 300 RUM brass just to shoot. We're almost in July so unless I can find some Retumbo or H1000 in Texas or maybe NM, I'll be shooting the factory Partitions I've had squirreled away. Broadhead, on this thread turned me on to some Retumbo but Haz-Mat, shipping and taxes added up to $10 more than the 1lb of powder. If I can find it in Texas or NM, I'll load up Momma and make a drive of it and take her out to eat!
If you run across AB 200 gr bullets or powder down this way please PM me.
Man you've got that 30 Nosler with the Bergers dialed in! Hope you've got a hunt or two planned this year! Thanks again Slick 8

I do have a mulie hunt in NM this fall.

I'll keep an eye out on supplies. The retumbo and H1k pop up from time to time but I can't remember the last time I saw 200 ABs, they're apparently made from unatanium.

Good points Sparks, saying that they penetrate, expand and then begin fragmenting, have you shot the ELD-X enough to say if they still retain a significant amount of mass and continue leaving a reasonable wound channel? Thanks fot the coaching above also!
I've taken a handful of deer and antelope and 4 elk with my 28 Nosler loaded with 162 ELD-X bullets. I made the mistake of trying them out when the rifle was new and they shot so good that I have always stayed with them. I don't like how they perform on game and have always been wary about the shots I take. On smaller animals its because I like to recover as much venison as possible and on bigger animals I always worry about penetration and a clean kill. With that caution, I typically place my shots in the lungs behind the shoulder. All shots have resulted in a one-shot, clean kill with exit wounds on the far side. In most cases, I recover the jacket empty of any lead somewhere around the exit wound. They work for sure but are far from ideal for 'normal' hunting situations which I consider ranges under 500 yards in a rifle that shoots 3000+fps.

The slower the impact the better they perform, just like the Bergers and other VLD cup/core bullets. ---SS

Powder Valley has H1k.

Watch this store as it goes fast but will come back.

Thanks Slick. I actually ordered some bullets from these guys last week while I was snooping around the web. I've got friends or family in NM & Louisiana and all over Texas with feelers out in local shops around thier part of the country I rather make a road trip than pay those ridiculous Haz-Mat fees. I've found some a couple of places now and the fees and taxes are more than the price of the powder. Hard-headed Dutchman in me I guess. Thanks for keeping and eye out though. If I connect and find some I'll PM you.

I hear ya.

I'm sure there's a couple shops in SA that can help you out.

Put R&M Firearms in El Campo on your call list.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom