300 RUM

muzzhunter

Just curious if anyone here shoots a 300 RUM without a muzzlebreak? If so is it tolerable to shoot several rounds at a time? For those with muzzlebreaks, what kind do you use and how does it perform? I am looking into buying a Sako in this caliber.
Thanks,
Dave

Dude you have picked an awesome round! I have been shooting these bad boys since they first came out and I am sold on them for life! None of my 300 RUMs' have had muzzle brakes but they are very tolerable to shoot. I put Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads on my guns and they work awesome. Limb Saver recoil pads work good too. My Sendero in 300 RUM shoots like the glory of god with 150 grain Swift Scirocco factory Remington loads(really!) I had a lightweight BDL in this caliber and it kicked pretty good before I put that Pachmayr pad on it. I would advise against a muzzle brake though. The noise produced by a 300 RUM with a muzzle brake is like nothing I have ever experienced. Our hunter on the Kaibab last year shot a braked 300 RUM. He had to shoot quick and that gun went off about three feet from my face. Ever get sucker punched really hard? That's what it felt like. That sideways muzzle blast nearly took the hat off my head and my ears were ringing like a motherf----r. To each his own but those things are just not worth the noise to me. Anyways, congrats on picking a great caliber and happy shooting!

Muzz Hunter
I purchased my 300 RUM two years ago from Hill Country Rifles. They are a custom rifle maker. When I was having my gun built I had the same question for them. They make a nice break too. They talked me into not getting the break. Glad I did not get it.
My 300 RUM has the Packmyer pad on it and it is definetly tolerable to shoot.
Now I will tell you that when I am at the range working on different loads, I wear a shooting pad on my shoulder. Simply because of the amount of shooting I will do at the range. I also concentrate on not flinching. If I am with a buddy we will take turns loading each others rifles with out the other looking. So when you bear down and pull the triger and there is no round there you can see if you are flinching.
As you already know, when in a hunting situation, you can pull that triger as many times as you want and you aint gonna feel a thing.
My uncle and a friend of his have 300 RUM's with breaks on them. They like them. For one these guys are mostly benchrest shooters pluss they are up there in years and the break helps their old bones. The bad thing is you do not want to be around when they shoot. We are talking LOUD.
Thats my two cents.
George

"We must HUNT"

>Just curious if anyone here shoots
>a 300 RUM without a
>muzzlebreak? If so is
>it tolerable to shoot several
>rounds at a time?
>For those with muzzlebreaks, what
>kind do you use and
>how does it perform?
>I am looking into buying
>a Sako in this caliber.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

The .300RUM is an awesome round. I think it is better, if you reload. Not sure how much factory ammo is around for that round now. But, reloading is a breeze.
If I didnt reload, I would probably opt for the 'ol reliable .300 Win mag. Lot's more options as far as factory ammo goes. Not a lot of differance in terminal performance. But, some I admit.

My Sendero .300RUM was braked. Felt like a .308 as far as recoil.
Unbelieveablely easy to load for. And superb accuracy.

Are you looking at the Sako 75?? I have one, SS in .300 Win mag and couldnt be happier. good luck....

I love my 300 RUM. I shoot 180 Nosler Partitions without a muzzle break. When you pull the trigger you know something is going to happen on the other end. As far as muzzleloaders go I shoot an Omega in 50 caliber.

Thanks for all of your input. I decided to go ahead and buy the 300 RUM in a Sako 75. I will shoot it without a muzzlebreak, as long as it isn't too bad. I have a 375 H&H, so as long as it isn't a whole lot worse than that I'll be fine.

Great choice!! I dont think the .300RUM is as bad as .300 Weatherby Mag.

Congrats!! Whats the barrel twist for that rifle?? 1:11??

Yeah, that's exactly right Rangercon! I got the rifle, now I have got to save up for a nice piece of glass. Thanks again for all the responses!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-04 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]muzzhunter,
when your looking for that peice of glass,
look for something you can zoom up to at least 18 power.
not that you'll hunt with it at that stage but it gives you a good opertunity to check things out at long range. and most importantly zoon in at the range while setting it up.
Even though you have your spotting scope sitting right next to you.
My glass has a built in range finder good to 400 yds.
and its a blessing,
go with premimun mounts, leapold are the best i've found, but there are options.
with out the mounts the glass is useless,
stay away from anything that has plastic locknuts.
a couple of shots and they're shot worthless peices of junk.
I shoot a 300 win. mag. load my own bullets
and keep my loads / formulas listed on each box.
i lock in 1" high at 250 yds.
and can consistantly hit golf balls at that range.
well maybe not exactly "consistantly",
but good enough for the girls i go with.

ELKMASTER: I agree 100% on the higher powered scopes....and i like to get the biggest objective available.......When you crank say an 8x32x60 or 6x24 to the max....you can see your heart beating in the scope....this makes you hold still ...I use a 8x32x60 burris for hunting...I first thought that even set on 8x would limit my afternoon hunts.....NOPE:just the opposite...I can still see better on 8x than on a lessor 3x9x40 scope at dusk on 3x ! !

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-04 AT 01:45PM (MST)[p]Elkmaster, Whitetail3, Iam on the other side of the world from you guys. No offense meant. We all have our needs.

I like a maximum of 10x and a maximum of a 44mm objective for hunting. And thats only because Iam sooo high on my Zeiss Conquest that I use a 44mm. objective.

I did have a 3-12x42mm Schmidt and Bender, L7 lit reticle that I loved.
But, a 3-9x40 is all the scope I really need. A fixed 6x S&B is nice too where I hunt.

Big objectives means higher rings, more weight, more money.

Even with my tac. scopes, I try to keep my objective size down to 50mm, 40mm if I can.

Elkmaster, what scope brand do you hunt with???

I have to agree with RANGERCON. 4-12 Leupold with 40mm objective for me. On a .300 Ultra mag. Higher power than this generally is only a benefit at the bench. mtmuley

"Great choice!! I dont think the .300RUM is as bad as .300 Weatherby Mag."

The 300 RUM is about 150fps faster and 300lbs stronger than the 300 weatherby with 180 gr bullets from the same manifacture. I have 2 RUM's I have the rem sendero (my baby) and I have the rem lss. both shoot like champions they will flat put a bull elk on his nose quick. they are bad medicine for elk. neither of them have brakes on them, recoil is not bad unless you lay down and shoot it, other than that it is fun to shoot, just watch ther barrel temp lots of powder the barrel gets hot about the 4 shot she might need a brake for a while, Now Glass, IMHO go with a leupold vari X III I shoot a 4x14x50 and a 6x20x40 and I love them. It is fun shooting milk jugs @ 400 and 500 yards.

FEAR NOT FOR I AM WITH YOU! Walk soft and carry a 300 RUM,

PR300UM4 Premier Ultra Mag 180 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt? Ultra 9 1/2 M 0.382
R300WB1 Remington Express 180 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt? 9 1/2 M 0.383

VELOCITY (ft/sec)
Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
Premier Ultra Mag 180 PSP CLU 3250 2988 2742 2508 2287 2076
Remington Express 180 PSP CL 3120 2866 2626 2398 2181 1976

ENERGY (ft-lbs)
Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
Premier Ultra Mag 180 PSP CLU 4221 3568 3003 2513 2088 1721
Remington Express 180 PSP CL 3890 3282 2755 2298 1902 1561

SHORT-RANGE? TRAJECTORY*
Cartridge Type Bullet 50 100 150 200 250 300
Premier Ultra Mag 180 PSP CLU 0 0.4 zero -1.5 -4.2 -8.1
Remington Express 180 PSP CL 0 0.5 zero -1.7 -4.6 -9

LONG-RANGE? TRAJECTORY*
Cartridge Type Bullet 100 150 200 250 300 400 500
Premier Ultra Mag 180 PSP CLU 2.1 2.5 1.8 zero -3.1 -13.6 -30.7
Remington Express 180 PSP CL 1.4 1.3 zero -2.5 -6.4 -18.9 -38.7

Both are strong guns but this chart shows the RUM to be a little stronger and faster,
FEAR NOT FOR I AM WITH YOU! Walk soft and carry a 300 RUM,

I will agree the RUM is a little hotter, but it should be with about 10% more powder... Both are awsome rounds however.

Elkslayer, I should have specified my response better. I meant the recoil from the .300 RUM is less "painful" than a .300 Weatherby or some .300 Winnie's. I'ts more of a thud versus the sharp jolt like a few Weatherbys and Winnies I have shoot.

I think the .300 RUM is an awesome round, especially for the reloader. .300 Win mag for the non-reloader.

Handloading is where the RUM can really get interesting. mtmuley

I'll say!! All you need is a 180gr. bullet and RL25 and you are shooting very small groups!! LOL

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-04 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]RANGERCON, Step up to 200 gr. with RL-25 and have some real fun. mtmuley

I shoot a remington, african plains in 300rum. It does not have a brake on it. I would say that the recoil is very close to a 338 win. mag. Very managable. It is more of a push than a crack. Nothing like a 416 rigby or 505 gibbs, that in my opinion require either a mercury reducer or a brake. If a 7mag or 300 mag bother you i would say look for something else. If not, go for it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom