300 Win Mag factory loads

excaliber

I'm getting ready for some factory loads for my 300. I've always shot Federals for everything but I noticed everyone loads their 180 grain to around 2960 FPS including Federal.

I see Double Tap offers the Accubond 180 grain in a loading that achieves 3050 FPS. I don't see a TTSX on their site.

Hornady does the same with their Heavy Magnum. Since I don't reload I'm looking for something with a bit more pop right off the bat. Does that extra 100 FPS make that big of a difference? How's the Double tap compare to Federal?

What factory loads do you shoot through your 300?

100 fps isnt anything to worry about.

but from experience, factory velocity claims are more often than not very optimistic.

In fact, the reason I started loading years ago, is because I shot my 270 win over a guys chronograph. the factory 150's clocked 2550 fps!

I mostly agree with the Dog above unless you are looking at extended range shooting at big game, say 4-500 yds or more. At those distances, you want all the velocity and BC that a bullet can provide for hard hitting energy transfer to the animal and flatter trajectories.

If you're talking "normal" shots at game, 300yds and under, bullet selections and the rounds beginning velocity are not near as important with the possible exception of the core-lokt SP round nose bullets which, IMO, aren't fit for fishing sinkers. Good luck!!

Joey

I just bought a 300 win mag this summer. I hated the Hornady rounds. They kicked my but and my gun couldn't get any tighter than 6" at 100 yards. The cheap core lokt from remington grouped well and were milder in recoil, about an inch at 100, but I haven't had good luck with remington ammo for hunting. I've only had about half the bullets pass through. Having said that I haven't lost anything yet either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom