300 Win Mag Handloads

excaliber

What are you guys loading the 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Accubonds up to? I see the Federal factory loadings are 2960 FPS with the 180 grain Accubond.

I was looking at Double Taps website and they load it to 3050 FPS.

Is this a really hot load or is there still some room to go? I'm just wondering what some of you are loading.

Why are you so concerned about speed?...Just load it for accuracy and call it good..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>Why settle when you can have
>both? Isn't that the
>reason to handload in the
>first place?

Yes but worrying about small increases in speed is like chasing your tail...Don't hold much faith in reading claimed speed...Many companies test their bullets in long tubes so they get people believing they can get the same..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 07:50AM (MST)[p]+1 Snort And in most cases you'll notice that best accuracy isn't usually noted at the top end of the pressure range. Not always true but it is more often than not.

I haven't tried accubonds but with 180 Partitions loaded with a fed 215 in WW brass and 77.5 gr RE22 I'm getting 3170 fps. same everything and a 180 TSX I'm getting 3220 fps.

These loads are max hot but safe in my gun, 24" barrel. I've found several powders that will get me in the 3200 fps range but RE22 has been the best and accuracy is exellent.

i load 180g accubonds exclusively for my 300wm.

i have tested every power charge from 72-83 of h1000. the best accuracy i can find is with 75g. i shot 4 inch groups at 400y yards this morning.

i could care less how fast they are. they hit where i point them every time.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-10 AT 06:20PM (MST)[p]If you don't care how fast they are shoot a 30 carbine it kicks less and uses a lot less powder.

I want all the velocity I can get and still be safe and accurate, RE-22 has been the best so far for me.

im sure you knew that im meant i dont care how fast my reloads are vs what the book says vs what a manufacture claims. they are all with in 100fps or so. with no noticeable differences between these spread of velocity.the target tells the tail. 300wm is fast, accurate and hits hard plain and simple. i dont think a 30cal car has the a$$ to knock down a deer past 100y

if rl 22 works for you stick with it.

you could shot 10 deer with 10 different calibers at the end of the day you still have 10 dead deer.

Remington Model 700 24" barrel

I use TSX and TTSX 180gr with 75.0gr of RL-22 and 73.0gr RL-19. With each of these loads I have marked a 1 1/2" - 2" pattern at 200yds. My crony says the pill moves between 2,850 and 2,950.

Browning X Bolt 26" Barrel

I use 180gr Nosler Partitions with 75.0gr RL-22. Still breaking it in and I had a loose screw problem so I have not achieved any consistant accuracy yet, but the crony says 3,050 to 3,100. The extra barrel length certainly adds to the speed.

Unlike the Remington, the X Bold does not seem to like RL-19 powder. The best accuracy I have achieve so far has been with RL-22.

With all that info, I tend to agree with the previous posts. The 300WM is a great round so load it up with what your rifle shoots accruatly and cart it into the woods with your tag. It will not let you down.

My 0.02

i have handled but never shot a browning x bolt with the 26, oh my is that a sweet shouldering and smooth actioned rifle. the one i seen had beautiful wood also.

Yup, it's a purdy stock and I really do like the action. The drop out circular magazine is a treat too. I think I have found the load for it, but I need to run some more rounds through it to dial it in. If another elk is in the cards for me, I aim to use the Browning on it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom