.300 Win Mag vs .308 Win - Do you need one or BOTH?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
What's your opinion? Vortex posted this video and I thought it would be interesting to hear what some of you gun experts think.

It’s .300 Win vs. .308 Win. Both have “win” in their name, but when it comes down to brass tacks — or cases more accurately — which comes out on top? Ryan Muckenhirn and Mark Boardman hit the range, shoot some gel, crunch numbers, and answer this very question. It’s another battle of the great 30 Cals.

I've used them both for a long long time and currently own neither.

Interesting "test" and it can be skewed either way by the criteria of the tester as to what make which one "better".

Whitetail out of an elevated stand with shots out to 200-300 or target shooting, 308 is fine. For everything else (the list would be vast) I'll take a 30 cal mag every time.

With all that said, a guy needs to be able to shoot a rifle well without flinching so choose wisely. But again, if this is the case, and the shooter is being honest about recoil sensitivity, I'd pick neither of them.

Fun to watch. Thanks.

Zeke

All of my big game shots have been less than 400 yards. My opinion is the 308 over the magnum. I don’t have the 300 Winchester mag but have the 300 Weatherby mag and I find I don’t carry it as much as the others. I stick with the 270 or 280 AI. There are a few advantages to the 308 like cheaper to shoot and all sorts of factory ammo for those that don’t reload. I would choose the magnum if I was going after something real large like a moose or Africa game. I think I might like it in a target rifle but not a light weight sporter.

Have both and prefer the .300 WM. With muzzle brake there is hardly any kick on it. The .308 Tikka with brake actually kicks alot more since it is so much lighter than the Sendero. Both tack drivers. Just got my email from the gov that my suppressors are approved so will be playing with those once my leg heals.

All are good comments and completely true according to us as individual and independent hunters.

I love choices! That's why I mostly shoot the 6.5 x 280 AI and the 280 AI.... but not always.

Zeke

If you really wanted to exploit the strengths and weaknesses of both cartridges - you would need to shoot them 10 times in a row in less than 3 minutes. The magnum produces 3 times the barrel heat in just 3 shots. That heat increases muzzle velocities (and opens up shot groups) at a much higher rate than the .308. For longer distance (inside 1000 yards) probability of multiple “hits” the .308 will do it better. That’s for shooting and I’ve seen the old .308 do this to many magnums multiple times.

For hunting I have witnessed hunters that have shot the whole box of ammo at animals across canyons -that do not understand the internal components as described above.

With that being said - I own both. I have a very heavy custom barreled .300 win that shoots berger 230 hybrids decently well out to 2 miles- where 10 shots were required in 3 minutes. I have packed that heavy monster hunting - and theirs no denying what that .300 mag will do when it lifts an elk of its feet and drops it in its tracks.
Verdict -I’m keeping both.

Own both, have gone from shooting .300 win more to it collecting dust. Vast majority of my shots are 400 and in. My suppressed 308 kicks like a .223 and carries lethal bullets at or above adequate velocities to cause bullet disruption out to about 550 which is all I could ask for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom