300 wsm Vs 270wsm vs 300saum

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
whic of these shoots the flattest, and most accurate in your minds? i am thinkin of gettn one just for the hell ofit, parents are gonna kill me but o well.
casey

Hi Casey

I would not consider the 270 caliber at all due to more bullet choices in 30 Cal.

That being said I recall you saying you didn't reload. If thats the case I believe it was suggested that you go with 300 Win Mag for ammo diversity and availability. Nothing at all wrong with that round.

Moving on, If you are worried about flat only look at 6.5 x 285 type or even 257 wtby mag or STW rounds. Super flat but way less energy. Probably perfect for Antelope up to deer.

Going the other way if you are still wanting Horsepower just get a 300 Rem Ultra Mag. All the folks shooting them are getting great speeds and accuracy.

The short mags are accurate but the Ultra is accurate and has to top end HP if you want it.

Jeff

Rangercon

The shortmags have a niche to fill. Excellent target rounds. And I suppose that if I was to head on a mountain goat type hunt I'd be looking around for a titanium(something light) on a short mag.

Actually I'd probably pick a light single shot with a longer tube for a bit more MV. But thats just me. Second shots are extremely rare. And rarely needed.

Not dissing the post but there is a role for them, they are just overhyped at the moment. In fact I've been trying to order a 300 RUM in a savage for a friend most of the summer and all they must be making is short mags.

Jeff

Jeff,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

The only "niche" that has been filled, is the gun manufacturers having everybody run around buying new rifles. Supposed superior calibers. It's a marketing ploy, to the 10th power.

I do like the .300 RUM. But this short mag and that short mag has really gotten off course.
Of course, I realize that this is my opinion and your milage may vary. I say all this respectfully to any and all, including the original poster.

Very true statement by RangerCon and Jeff both. 300 WSM does not do anything more then the 300 Win. mag, except to come in a shorter case. Same thing can be said about 300 RUM over the 300 Weatherby. Some of these new calibers will be with us 10 years from now, some of them will go by the wayside and factory ammo, and brass will be harder to get.
Now you just have to guess which ones will last the long stay when you buy that new rifle-new caliber.
I am not giving up my 300 Win. mag. and my son plans to stay with his 300 Weatherby.
But it does make for a good reason to bullcrap the wife into believing that you need a new rifle in that new caliber in order to not be undergunned for your next deer hunt.

RELH

RELH,
as usual, a timley post. Well said.

I think the 7mm short mags will go by the way side first.

I know of a couple people, real honest to goodness shooters, and these guys really seem to favor the .300 WSM.
These guys are both avid reloaders and claim that the short cased .300 is a real dream to reload for.

I'll stick with my 'ol tried and true .300 Win mag and .308.

RangerCon;

I believe you are right about the 7mm going the way of the Dodo bird, and possibly the 270 and 25 caliber, but I think the 300 will make it in the long run. If the rifle companies come out with lighter short action frame rifles to match the 300WSM case, they should sell enought to stay in the game for many years. There are too many 300 mag fans out there that will buy it to give it a try, and end up loving it as they did the 300 Win. mag. when it first came out.

RELH

Rangercon

You and I aren't far off!

You have to remember I strayed from hunting for a long time to do tons of target shooting. I just finally realized that I just don't quite have the time to dedicate to go that last 1% and win the national championships. Sure its possible on the right day at the right time, but since it would be somewhat of a fluke, I'm getting back to the hunting.

So you have to always take my comments for what they are worth.

And in this case the short fat cases are so damn forgiving its not even funny. Take the 6.5 Grendel. Just about anything you stick in it shoots so well at 600.

And thats my point about the short mags. They can be used for some good.

But I digress. For hunting uses, the only thing I could see is a lightweight mountain gun, using a shorter action. Which can actually end up using a Win Mag type round anyway(as long as you don't have to eject a loaded round and that is covered by the bolt release, much the same way the AMU at Ft. Benning uses 308 action lengths for their 300 Win Mag 1000 yard guns)

Enough of this though. Much other work to be done. But maybe you and I just don't believe that much in 7mm for anything larger than deer anyway.

Respectfully, Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom