300wsm load advice

NiceRack

I am going to load up 300wsm rounds. I have 180gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped Bullets. Any powder / load recommendations?
PB

Seems like I've shot everything but FTBTs out of my 300WSM, so I can't speak specifically to those. But for the 180ish-grain bullets I've tried, I've settled on RL-17 for powder because it gives me an additional 90 fps muzzle velocity while giving up only 1/8" accuracy (still sub MOA overall). My next hunt being moose, I'd rather have the additional energy. I always limit my powder to one full grain below the recommended max for a particular bullet, so with my current LSX load, that ended being 64.4. Out of the Federal, Nosler, Winchester, Hornady, and Norma brass that I've tried, I've settled on Norma. Between the CCI and Winchester primers I've tried, I've settled on CCI.

With the endless possibilities, I'm always tinkering, always looking to get better, so if you come up with something that works for you, I'd love to hear it.

I was looking at RL-17, it is the recommended powder by Federal.
I think I will start at 61 grains and work up to 64 grains. Federal says 65 is max. I'm not getting accuracy with factory ammo. Very erratic groups with Barnes 165 grain TSX. One three shot group will be 3/4 inch the next 2 inches at 100 yards. I have no doubt I will still be able to bring down a Bull but my comfort level would greatly improve with consistent tighter groups.
My rifle is a Win. Mod 70 Featherweight with a Swarovski scope and this is my primary Elk rifle. Several months ago I planned on using my 375 H&H and still might. The weight of that rifle is a serious consideration as it is about 3.5 pounds heavier than the Winchester. The good news about the 375 is I am consistent with 1 inch groups using Hornady 270 grain GMX factory ammo.
PB

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-17 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-17 AT 01:29?PM (MST)

Have not used those bullets but my gun really likes IMR4350 and 180accubonds.

Nosler brass
180 AB
WLRM primer
63.5gr IMR 4350

This load is pushing 3000 fps out of a 24" barrel and is near max charge so obviously start low and work up. Reloader powders were a dud for me in my rifle along with HV100. 4831SC was decent but lower velocity.

*i stand corrected. According to hodgdon the H and AA 4350 were both made to copy the burn rate and curve of the original IMR powder and once Hodgdon bought IMR they decided to keep the orginal 4350 in production. Same goes for 4831. So while they are a very close copy there is a slight variance. My apologies. And just for reference hodgdon maximum load for H4350 is 63.7 and IMR is 64.0

>63.5gr IMR 4350 (H4350 is same
>formula nowadays)
>

Beware since it's not true. The burn rate is different so no one should interchange powders lest one wants issues.

Zeke

#livelikezac

>
>>63.5gr IMR 4350 (H4350 is same
>>formula nowadays)
>>
>
>
>Beware since it's not true. The
>burn rate is different so
>no one should interchange powders
>lest one wants issues.
>
>Zeke
>
>#livelikezac
Scary when folks think they can interchange just by number. mtmuley

I have had good luck with H4350 and 180 grain Sierra sbt. 66 grains is a max load, I believe, but it shoots good for me. ce61

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom