30mm vs 1"

C

canyonman

I'm shopping for a scope to put on top of a .270 winchester model 70. I'm seeing 30mm tubes and alot of 1" tubes. Whats the pro's and con's of the two different styles. I am also wondering if anybody has any info on objective lenses,50mm vs 40mm I know the 50mm will let in more light, but I've heard people complain that the scope will sit to high off the rifle, causing sight problems. I'm upgrading from a old simmons 3x9x32. Any insight into these questions will help a bunch, Thanks, Ryan

Ryan, the 30mm tube is also going to gather more light than the 1" tube. Typically the 30mm tubes are much more expensive than the 1" tubes. One other draw back again is that you are going to be even slightly higher now since the tube is bigger. One big draw back with the 50mm objective is that your gun may no longer fit in most scaberts and gun cases. This may be an issue if you plan to hunt on horses. I have found that this is the case with my Leupold 4.5x14x50mm. Other than that I love the scope. It is only a 1" tube but it draws plenty of light even past legal shooting hours. I just put a pad on the stock of the gun to raise your cheek up so you can see throught the scope without having your head floating around. I even put the pads on my guns that have 40mm scopes. I like to be able to put my head right on the gun and have everything line up. They make the pads in all different sizes. If you are interested in a great deal on the Leupold Vari-X III's either 40mm or 50mm let me know. I know were you can get them here in UT for dirt cheap.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

NvrEnuf

Thanks a ton for the advice!! The idea about pads on the stock is great and sounds like it solves the height problem. I would diffenatly be interested in a deal on the Vari-x III, they are first choice on my shopping list, but I'm in Colorado. Still interested though. Let me know. Thanks again!
Ryan

I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship it from UT to CO. Probably pretty cheap ($15-$20 ????). I'm know you would want to insure the package and I'm not sure how much that would be either (around $5 ????). The place that I bought my scope from sells them for:

4.5x14x50mm $479
6.5x20x50mm $499

If you really want to get one send me a personal e-mail. I could probably run up to the dealer and grab one for you. Then I could just ship it to if you want. I looked all over and the next best price I found on the 4.5x14x50mm was $569. Even if the freight was to cost you $20.00 you would still be $70 ahead. I am going to be heading up that way in a day or so to try on some new boots. Let me know if you would like to do it and I will try to help.

NvrEnuf

Thanks a bunch for the offer! I think I will pass, just not ready to buy, though that is a great price. But I do really appreciate it. This Web page is the best! Everybody is so helpful! Thanks again for shedding some light on the scopes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom