31 coues

6chukar

So I drew my first coues deer tag and having never spent any time in the unit I just have a couple questions. Not so much about finding deer but I’m trying to figure out what gear/camping equipment to bring. I have no problem doing 3-5 mile hikes one way daily so I was thinking of just bringing my truck and a kodiak canvas tent so I can move if need be. How are the roads? Should I also bring a quad? It opens the day after thanksgiving what are the daily highs and lows? I appreciate any responses. Thanks

From AGFD:

White-tailed Deer

Overview:
These deer are found throughout the mountainous areas of the unit and in the lower elevations north of the Aravaipa Canyon and NE of Klondyke. The rough, limited access areas of the Santa Teresa’s Mts. and Pinaleno Mts. offer some remote hunting opportunities. Early season hunting is possible in the cool timbered areas along Hwy. 366 (Swift Trail) for those hunter skilled in hunting the timber types. This area is very steep and the 8000’+ elevation makes hiking difficult but provides a lightly hunted deer resource. Still-hunting and glassing are the most successful hunting techniques for all units.

Areas:
Tripp Canyon – Take SR 70 to west of Safford between Pima and Ft. Thomas. Go southwest on Klondyke road to FS 351, follow FS 351 and hunt side canyons and upper reaches.

The Eureka Springs Ranch was sold and several new roads have been placed throughout the ranch. Several of these roads are located on private property and are not accessible to the public. If you have hunted this area in the past it is recommended to do some pre-season scouting.

Klondyke Area – Take SR 70 to Klondyke road between Pima and Ft. Thomas. Follow to intersection of Bonita road. Go North towards Aravaipa Canyon Area. Access changes from year to year. If you plan to hunt these areas it is recommended that you visit the area prior to you hunt opening.

Pre-season scouting and good pair of optics are essential to success when hunting whitetail. Also, obtaining a Coronado National Forest map for the Safford district would be very beneficial. This map will provide you with access points and land status throughout the Unit.

OW's copy-paste is where any new-to-AZ hunters should start. AZGFD unit information is 2nd to none from a state agency perspective.

Lows might brush the upper 30s, highs will probably touch upper 60s/low 70s mid-afternoon --- give or take of course. Should be much more seasonable than the early hunt dates.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom