31 or 124?

buckspotter7

I was lucky to win a raffle for a wy commissioners tag. I was hoping somebody with better first hand info could help me out. Here is what I've got it down to.
My original plan was to go with 31. I would bow hunt and hunt rifle season if I needed too.
Then I happened to draw a good NV elk tag. I haven't killed many elk and no big bulls. I have always hunted deer, never caught the elk bug. So the thought of choosing a deer tag did come up.
To avoid scheduling conflicts I started to lean towards hunting 124 elk sometime in mid-November.
The tag is also transferable, so I am thinking about giving it to my 14 year old son. He would probably choose an elk area as well.
Would you recommend 31-1 late Sept/early Oct., or 124-1 mid-November? My NV hunt is late October and my kid could only hunt in November. Thanks in advance, PM if you prefer.

Can you transferr the permit to a 50 year old Montana guy?

124 has bigger bulls but would likely take a lot more time.

I could transfer it for the right amount! I guess guys pay up to $20,000 for them at auction. I just bought a couple raffle tickets.
Wish it came in one of the years I was skunked in the draws though. I will be busy this fall

How good of a tag is your Nevada tag. You have a very special tag in your position with that commissioner tag. There are a ton of options and you have for sure picked 2 of the better ones, but there are many more. I would really think long and hard about focusing more on that tag and not trying to "work it in" around the Nevada tag unless of course that tag is also a oil type of tag.

The Nevada tag took me 18 bonus points to draw. Short rifle season though, 10/22-11/5. Good chance at a really nice bull. Some Wyoming elk hunts are surely better than my NV tag.

Not sure how you narrowed it down to those two units but of the two I would pick 124. Both are good hunts but 124 is better

The way I narrowed it down to these two units are the seasons work with my schedule. No deer hunts jump out at me that I haven't done already. Not interested in using this tag on an antelope. Not confident in trying a weather dependent elk hunt with limited NR access. Not going guided. Have never killed a big bull. I like the limited tags with fewer hunters. The option to bow hunt sounds good.

I would look at some of the Cody units. 30 days to bow hunt and some units you can rifle hunt for 60 days. Some huge bulls killed ever year!

Yes Cody bulls are way better on size. Also as the season goes on the bulls on 124 wind up on private...something to consider. 124 is a very low density elk herd and it can be hard at times to find the bigger bulls. Its a great unit, but if you can't go during archery or opening rifle it can be more difficult.

I was staying away from the Cody hunts due to the limited non-Wilderness land, the fact I'd be going solo, and the chance that the weather may not come to move elk down. I have deer hunted all over that area and seen some nice Bulls. Might be the way to go and keep my fingers crossed on weather.

The fact that 124 bulls move to private worries me though. Wanted to do 124 and give the tag to my kid. He can go for a week in November. Thought it was a unit he might kill a nice 6 pt. If I kept it for myself I could bow hunt and go back and rifle hunt in November.

I also could give it to my kid and do 128 deer. That would be a fun hunt for him. It's just to good of a chance to kill a nice elk.

Ya do the elk for sure...there's some absolute monsters there in 124. you get some elk in Colorado coming over the border too late so that might help you out considering that Colorado unit is the best in the state. I'd give 124 a shot...the bow hunting there in my opinion is the best for 330-360 bulls. And the last couple weeks of the season the best to catch a big 350 bull coming over from Colorado.

I knew about that option, but never really considered it. Took too long to draw that tag. Might need a bigger freezer and more wall space when it's all over.

>I knew about that option, but
>never really considered it. Took
>too long to draw that
>tag. Might need a bigger
>freezer and more wall space
>when it's all over.

Hell of a problem to have, LOL!

No kidding! I have been a mess for about a month trying to figure it out. Don't like asking for help, but glad I did. You all have been a great help. I'm a little closer to making a decision.

>You can turn your NV tag
>in if need be? No
>refund, but points reinstated and
>no mandatory wait.

+1. I'd focus on Wyoming

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-18 AT 06:54AM (MST)[p]I had the 124 tag in 2014. Killed my bull on Nov 18. Seems that plenty of bulls were still wandering around on public. That being said, I HIGHLY recommend the archery hunt (either unit). It will be like no other you've been on.

As said above, 124 probably has the bigger bulls, but not by much. Plenty of 310-330+ bulls in 31. 124 is desert, 31 is more mountainous. Bulls are pretty easy to find in 31. 124 is tougher, but still relatively easy to find bulls...

You have plenty of time to decide. I'm leaving on a fishing trip for a few days, but would be glad to answer a PM when I get back.

I know both units well....

I can't thank you guys enough! You have all helped ease my concerns. I feel much better about making a choice. I will definitely post my decision and hopefully some pics later this fall.
Thank You, Rich

I don't think you could go wrong with either unit, as nontypical said I would try and put some effort into the archery season!!We had the 124 tag several years ago and me and the wife got both are bulls in early November. The bull I ended up with we spotted the night before the oct 15 opener. Didn't find him opening morning and killed him nov 1 some 20 miles from where we scouted him by the map!!!

Hey guys, wanted to let you all know how it went. I decided on 124 and spent about all of my vacation time there over the last couple months.
I bow hunted the last week of September without finding an elk. There was very little water and I did not see or hear an elk. I then returned for the rifle opener, without luck again. I did see a small herd from a very long distance. I also jumped a couple of Bulls and just got a quick glimpse. I went to NV and whiffed on a really good elk tag. Then returned to Wyoming to give it one last try. I had my 14 year old son with me. We found a small bull(5 pt.) and made a long stalk. He presented a really nice 200 yard shot and I took it. My boy had a blast on the hunt, packing out the bull and watching some big rutting bucks. It turned out great and thank you all for the help. As you might see, some of you gave me really good advice that I did not take. Some of you gave me great tips on the 124 tag. Thank you all again!

Glad you were able to get a bull with your son. I have max NR points and keep putting in for 124 hoping to beat the slim odds. Seen a lot of pictures of great bulls from years past from there.
Hope it still has the opportunity for a great bull when I do finally draw.
Bill

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom