.338 RUM

D

Dirtysteve

Anybody own one? I need/want one pretty bad. Is the recoil bad enough I will have to brake it?
I was thinking about having a custom .338 RUM barrel built for my Encore but I can't decide if want it in a single shot.
Anyway tell me about your likes and dislikes about the caliber.

i have a .338 win mag, but seldom shoot it. not that it isn't a great gun, just don't get to hunt stuff that requires it too often. don't see too much reason for the ultra mag really. i sorta like the fact that it ain't a belted case but if i was gonna go with a cannon like that i'd go all the way and get the .338/.378 weatherby. super ballistics. any bullet lighter that 200 grains is a waste in any .338, also. that much i do know. i'd stay with the 225's or 250's. no sense in having a gun with big of a hole in the barrel and shooting light bullets out of it. any of the .338's made today are capable cartridges. .338 win, .340 weatherby, ultra mag, .338/.378. but it's a lot of money to spend on something that is gonna kick the hell out of ya. one friend has the weatherby, and even with a good muzzlebreak, it's pretty ferocious.

LAST EDITED ON May-21-03 AT 11:20PM (MST)[p]I have a 338 RUM, it is a nice gun shoots real tight groups. I don't think you need any bigger gun than a 338 RUM for any North America hunting.
My gun is a REM. 700 KS custom shop it has Tally rings and mounts, Swarovski 3x9 scope. It has been Mag Na Ported, No brake for me, too much muzzel blast. I have shot 338 RUMS with no brake at all. Its not that bad. You just get use to the thump.
Shoots 250gr. Hornady interlock the best.
If you feel the need to have one of these killing machines go out and get you one.
It is my own personal opinion that this cartridge should be in a bolt action, but then I'm a bolt action kinda guy...
Good Luck in your quest!
cf

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom