338 VS. 325 wsm?

W

wildarrow

What's your thoughts? It will be strictly an elk gun. Pros and cons for both?

The 338 win mag is a awesome elk cartridge ! Period ! It does everything better then the 325. I dont think there is a comparision in my book.
If you hand load it with lighter bullets it become a great long range gun. I hand load my with 185 grain barnes at about 3300 fps.

i shoot a ruger .338 win mag it seems like if i shoot 225 grain it doesn't group as good as 180-210 iv'e killed 4 elk with it and i wouldn't trade it for the world as for the 325 i never have hunted with one.

I've shot the 338win now for 20 years. It is by far my favorite cartridge for big N.A. game. It packs a wallop. It has seemed to gotten more popular in the last decade. The 325wsm just isn't quite there in comparison or availability.

I briefly considered going to the 338 ultra but with 800 pieces of brass and 400 loaded rounds for the 338win I doubt I'll ever change, I'm to vested into the round already. I've shot animals as small as pronghorn and impala with it and it did fine. Works good on bigger animals too.

I don't know why but the 338 win has always been the close to my heart, feel good cartridge. Maybe old Elmer had something to do with it.

I picked up a 325 WSm earlier this year. While I'm still working on load development, I am surprised by its limitations. It is NOT even close to equivalent to the 338. The 325 provides decent velocity with 180 or 200 gr bullets. Anything heavier, and there just isn't the case capacity. I don't have anything against the 325, it just doesn't have much great to say about it. It does pretty much the same as a 300 Win mag, and will never equal a 338.
Bill

Oh and like you I bought my 338 as a elk hunting only cartridge. I have been shooting my 338 browning A bolt 26 inch barrel for about 20 years. Soon after getting it I started using it for deer and would hunt anything with it .
My son shot it this year and took a nice mule deer with it at 510 yards.
My brother in law use to shot a 7mm but has started shooting a 338 a few years ago after he lost a couple of elk. He shoots a browning bar semi atuo.
I did install a better recoil pad on it to help me in the head more then in the shoulder, if you know what I mean.
John

>My brother in law use to
>shot a 7mm but has
>started shooting a 338 a
>few years ago after he
>lost a couple of elk.

A bad shot is a bad shot. It was not the 7mm fault but the shooter. A bigger caliber will not make up for shooter error! Do not tell me, " He hit it right in the boiler man." "Cause a 7mm anywhere in the kill zone will put down the biggest bull.

I have no experience with the 325 but have owned a 338 Win mag for about 10 years and love it. It is an awesome elk bullet and even works for deer if you shoot a lighter bullet.

I have a Browning BAR that I really love but I would still like to get a good bolt action in the same caliber.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

>I have no experience with the
>325 but have owned a
>338 Win mag for about
>10 years and love it.
> It is an awesome
>elk bullet and even works
>for deer if you shoot
>a lighter bullet.
>
>I have a Browning BAR that
>I really love but I
>would still like to get
>a good bolt action in
>the same caliber.
>
>
> ?Life is like a ten
>speed bike. Most of us
>have gears we never use!?
>
>

I own both calibers, I have killed alot of elk with my .338 and bears too with the 200 grn ballistiic silver tips. I love this rifle, but I bought the .325 because it has better ballistics, it is made in a short action and lighter rifle. This was the purpose of this caliber. I do not believe in bad luck but I have never killed a animal with my .325wsm. I have alot of rifles and right now my .270wsm with 110grn tsx is killing everything I point it at.

Yes in the boiler room more than once .A spike knocked off its feet twice. We tracked it for 400 yards then the blood stopped. Stayed on the track until it got into the herd and couldn't follow any longer. We guessed the bullet at close range must of not expanded ?
Another time he shot a bull at 75 yards. The bullet came a part on the rib when entering. No exit wound found small piece every where. Luckly he hit it in the heart. Recovering the animal . A 7mm at 75 yards not exiting a elk ?
Yes it may be type off bullets he was using I know he tried several factory and hand loads.Before giving up and tring something different.
I know 7mm will kill and alot of people like'em . I like something with a little more bullet behind it .
I can give other acounts but I think you get my point. He liked what he saw when he saw my 338 hit a animal so that why he changed.

Thanks for all the input, after reading this and a few more articles and info I think the 338 will be my choice. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 325, it's just a little too unproven for me so far. Thanks again!

Wildarrow, It sounds like you have made your decision but I want to suggest another possibility. I bought a Weatherby 340 this last year and took it to Alaska. It has better ballistics than a 338 ultra mag and it pancaked a nice moose. It is an awesome gun. I know this wasn't your question but it might be something to consider.

Objection your honor just for instance 340 wby 180 gr imr 4350 3395 fps bc 372 fpe 3890 338 ultra 180 aa 3100 3544 bc 372 fpe 4120 it has better ballistics um i think not 150 fps slower and 230 fpe less knockdown care to explain your al gore math!!!!!

A my whimpy little regular 338 win mag will do just fine thanks. I don't want to be in the same canyon when you pull the trigger on that 338 ultra or 340 Weatherby, let alone behind the scope.

Ultra7 I think you might be confused. The 338 ultra does outperform the 340wby. Maybe you're thinking of the 338-378wby which does outperform the 338ultra.

That's why it's good to use several different comparisons when checking ballistics if you don't know what you're talking about. It's all good though because now you know better thanks to shortshooter338. Reloadersnest.com is a good place to find load data or any ammo/component manufacturer website usually has data to compare.

Sorry Kody I couldn't resist the shortshitter comment.

The bullet weights are differnt on you chart then the ones longhunter338 posted. Plus his numbers are a little higher because he handloads his own cases.
I hand load my 338 win mag with 185 grain barnes mrx bullets and it is coming out of my 26 inch barrel at 3300 fps.
The nice thing about handloading is bullet choice. A few years ago the smallest bullet for a 338 win was 225 grains and sometimes you could find 210 grains. So by dropping bullet weight and loading hot( not past book specs ) you can do a lot to improve performance.

"The nice thing about handloading is bullet choice. A few years ago the smallest bullet for a 338 win was 225 grains"

John, the winchester 200 grain power point was an original factory loading when the 338 win mag came out in 1958. Barnes was making a 175 grain bullet in the early 90's.

While the .338 is better than the .325, there is yet another reason to shoo the winchester offering instead of any of the other new versions. If you're in an out of the way place, like Alaska, and need to get some ammo, lots of places carry .338 wing mag, but don't carry those other chamberings.

I've been hunting with a .338 win mag since 1985, and it is one of my favorite rifles.

>Yes in the boiler room more
>than once .A spike knocked
>off its feet twice. We
>tracked it for 400 yards
>then the blood stopped. Stayed
>on the track until it
>got into the herd and
>couldn't follow any longer. We
>guessed the bullet at close
>range must of not expanded
>?
>Another time he shot a bull
>at 75 yards. The bullet
>came a part on the
>rib when entering. No exit
>wound found small piece every
>where. Luckly he hit it
>in the heart. Recovering the
>animal . A 7mm at
>75 yards not exiting a
>elk ?
>Yes it may be type off
>bullets he was using I
>know he tried several factory
>and hand loads.Before giving up
>and tring something different.
>I know 7mm will kill and
>alot of people like'em .
>I like something with a
>little more bullet behind it
>.
>I can give other acounts but
>I think you get my
>point. He liked what he
>saw when he saw my
>338 hit a animal so
>that why he changed.

If Your Brother in law did not Recover the Spike or other Elk, then How in the World Can you say that he hit it Twice right in the Boiler room.... I am sorry (no I'm Not) but I'm Callin the "Bull" Card on this one... Shooter error is all...
330-Trapper

Get the gun you can find ammo for. That may very well be the mainstay for many years to come.

Would calling it an 8mm WSM make it a better rifle?

If you're in an out of the way place, like Alaska, and need to get some ammo, lots of places carry .338 wing mag, but don't carry those other chamberings.

Oh how I miss these days! Finding 338 win mag is not easy these days. More difficult than anything else I shoot.

I love my .338, I’ve shot bears, bucks, bulls and antelope in North America and all kinds of African plains game from Kudu, zebra, oryx, wildebeest to warthog, Duiker and Steinbok with it. I figure it will kill anything big enough to die and you can’t kill anything too dead. Mine is a stainless Ruger M77 and it loves 225 grain Barnes triple shock handloads. I’ve killed stuff from archery range to 600 yards and it kills with authority. I have only ever named one of my rifles, it’s this one, “Designated Hitter”.

I converted my 7 ultra to a .338 EDGE, best thing I’ve ever done. I was actually looking at the .325 WSM before I decided to do the conversion. I use it for everything! I shoot the same bullet for everything as well, 300gr sierra match king. It’s not fast by certain standards (2850 fps), but it’s accurate, and it’s a hammer!!!
Good luck!

Unless you handload I wouldn’t even consider looking toward the 325…and even then the 338 will out perform it any day of the week.
With that said I’m a bigger fan of the 338 Lapua

338 Lapua with 250gr Scenar at 3050fps is like a missile.
It still drops elk dead in their tracks over 900 yards as good as it does at a hundred.
Incredible round.

I have both a 325 and 338wm. It depends on what you are going to shoot and if you handload.

Factory ammo is limited for 325, and bullet selection is very limited for reloading it. 325 is basically a reloaders game as mentioned above.

If you want to shoot 180 or 200 grain bullets there is not much ballistic difference. 338 has many larger bullet options and it really shines with them. 325 has some 220 options, but the case capacity and seating depth limit its effectiveness.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom