.338 Win Mag Elk/Moose loads

Madmike8659

Hoping to hunt elk or moose next year. Looking for a good load fir elk/moose. I have been shooting the Nosler Partition 250 gr and IMR 4350 load. Looking for more speed. I see Nosler now has a 180 gr. Partition that looks like driving it at around 3200 fps give over 4500 ft lbs of KE. DO you feel this bullet is too light? Going up to the 210 gr speeds is really cut and the KE drops to around 3500 ft lbs. Just looking for some advice, from guys that hunt elk/moose out west. Thanks!

I like the 200 gr Partition in the .300 mags....if Nosler makes a 200 gr in .338 that would be my pick. Accubond is just as proven as the Partition and will typically fly better.

I hear great things about Swift A Frame and Scirocco as well. Never used them personally but my understanding is the A Frame is a beefed up Partition and the Scirocco a beefed up Ballistic Tip.

I have loaded the 185 grain Barnes in my 338 win mag for years. Shoots great great and kills even better. I can dig up my load data if your interested .

I have always preferred the 200gr. in my .338 win mag.
Shoots a good bit flatter than the 250gr. and still hits hard.
I didn't get as good accuracy with 180s.

I didn't hand load after a poor experience of my own doing. I went to 225 gr Remington Safari grade cor-lok never looked back after many one shot kills on moose and elk. Great caliber ! Low recoil

250 grain shrooms. Shoot great in my savage 116. Killed 350 lb boar with pass thru last week. Near 100% weight retention. Not the best long range bc but awesome 200 yds and in

I used a 338 wm with double tap 160 gr tipped x bullets at 3333 fps on a 9 1/2 year old bull elk in UT a few years ago and they did not exit. 210 gr or heavier would have exited. I have guided nilgai antelope hunters here in south TX for 13 years and I like what John Taylor came up with after killing a lot of big animals. Taylor Knock Out Bullet diameter X bullet weight X Velocity divided by 7000 I like it more than bullet energy. So yes stay with 210 gr or more

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom