338 Win mag for African Plains Game

Lhedrick1

I happened upon these bullets at a good price. Would Would be suitable for South African plains game? I was hoping for 225 - 250 gr bullets but got 5 box of these, 2 box of 250 gr Silvertip, and 1 box of 300 gr PowerPoint.

Kudu, Nyala, Waterbok, blue wildebeest, etc. sized game.

20211119_180847.jpg

.338 Win Mag is the primary rifle I always take to Africa. It’s fantastic for just about everything except dangerous game that requires .375 or bigger, though I would not hesitate to shoot a Buffalo with it. I shoot 225 grain Barnes TTSX Bullets and have had great results on everything I’ve ever shot with that bullet.

That‘s interesting ammo, but it’s very old. I’d shoot some of it over a chronograph before I’d hunt with it. I’m guessing it’s over 30 years old based on the boxes.

Ammunition is about the least expensive part of an African hunt, so why don’t you just buy some new Barnes TTSX if you can find them, or perhaps Trophy Bonded Bearclaws or Nosler Partitions in a Federal loading. You can’t go wrong with any of those.

I just got back from Tanzania a couple weeks ago, shot Lichtenstein Hartebeest, bushbuck, sable and Zebra with my .338. Animals ranged from bang-flop to going perhaps 100 yards, all 1-shot kills.

Last edited:
That's been the problem.....I wanted 225 gr Woodleighs, TTSX, or 250 gr Swift A frames but can't be found. Midway had some 200 gr Woodleighs but seems a little light for caliber.

would not be my bullet of choice but think they will do the job if you hit the spots. I would not want to test them on the shoulder of any of those animals on your list other then the nyala.

I would make sure all the shots are broadside or quatering away for sure. If it is all I had I would use them and go enjoy africa.

Those 200-gr. SP bullets will easily kill all of the critters you listed & more. Plains game in Africa don't wear armored pajamas. ;) I shot 11 of them using 140-gr. SPs in my .264. All were 1-shot kills.

Those 200-gr. SP bullets will easily kill all of the critters you listed & more. Plains game in Africa don't wear armored pajamas. ;) I shot 11 of them using 140-gr. SPs in my .264. All were 1-shot kills.
More then likely will be ok but that bullet coming out of a 338 is not the same as coming out of a 264. They do all die the same as are animals here but your paying if you wound it there.

I would also say shoot a few rounds from each box to make sure they all shoot the same since they are some older ammo

More then likely will be ok but that bullet coming out of a 338 is not the same as coming out of a 264. They do all die the same as are animals here but your paying if you wound it there.

I would also say shoot a few rounds from each box to make sure they all shoot the same since they are some older ammo

I’m not so concerned with the bullets as I am the age of the ammo. Depending how it’s been stored, it may have deteriorated. If it has, there’s no way I’d hunt with it

I’m not so concerned with the bullets as I am the age of the ammo. Depending how it’s been stored, it may have deteriorated. If it has, there’s no way I’d hunt with it

I shot some and then shot some reloads. The 200 gr (old stuff) has recoil about in line with a 270. The reloads which were within a few gr of max were much stout. I should chronograph the old stuff as if it's THAT soft, it's got to be going slow lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom