.338 win mag.

.338 is a lot better with big bullets. 225's, 250's, etc. i think they make all the way down to 150's. they shoot flat, but have horrible coefficients. the .338 is made for big animals that need some punch to knock over. if you're looking for flat shooting i'd think a .300 mag or something with a smaller boar would be a better choice. when you get down to the light bullets in .338 cal., the bullet is almost as wide as it is long. defeats the whole purpose of a big gun.

I shoot a .338 win mag. and have had great success with the barnes xlc 185gr. It is a little quick 3150fps but it has a great trajectory for this caliber. 100yds(+.92"), 200yds(0.00), 300yds(-7.0"), 400yds(-16.")& 500yds(-34.0"). These figures are from memory i will check the official numbers at the house tonight and get back to you. I realize this is not as flat as the .300 or some of the other flat shooters but for a big caliber this is really impressive. As for accuracy I shoot 1" groups at a 100yds. Not bad for a Barnes.

I get these loads from www.superiorammo.com in South Dakota. Ask for Larry. They are a little high but well worth it.

Hope this helps,
Jason

The Barnes bullet would be the only bullet that light that would be any good, reason being that it is all copper and therefore longer than an equivalent weight lead bullet. Like RLH said, it makes no sense to go that light with a 338, a 180 grain bullet in that caliber would be very short with a very low ballistic coefficient, which means it will lose velocity quickly. If not Barnes, then go with at least a 210 grain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom