36A Mule Deer

Hi all,

I am hunting Idaho otc mule deer for the first time this year. (First time in Idaho, not first time hunting in the west)

I've chosen to focus my efforts in 36a, backpack in a non popular trailhead.

Is there nice bucks to be had in the triangle from French creek to railroad ridge to say sullivan lake towards east fork drainage and road???

I am a young earnest man, soon to be a neighbor in Montana, looking for any guidance.

Thank you for any insight. Not looking for a handout, just a hand. (Not a reach around either) lol

-Scott

If you spend much time around Railroad Ridge, Crater or OCalken Lakes you’re gonna see more sheep and goats than you do deer. Better spent down in the East Fork, Jim Creek, or the low hills where the deer go back to from the ag fields.

Check your forest service road use maps. Lots of motorcycle trails from railroad ridge that head north to highway. Its a zoo and deer herd is still recovering. You will find it hard to get away from people. Better units south in my opinion. Good luck!

There are definitely deer. That is good country. You will not regret hunting that area for its beauty alone. Put in for bull elk controlled hunt tag while you still have a few days to enter your name - maybe you can hunt both!

Scott,

Blank hit it on the head.
There is a reason it is sheep country, rugged.
Good luck with your drawing for the elk tag, a lot of 280 to 320 type 6x6 bulls. They will not be coming out on your back though, better get horses lined up.
I have hunted Idaho every year since 1977 but gave up on 36a about 10 years ago. Many other OTC units that are far better and less crowded

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom