37A Bull Elk Success

NiceRack

We had 4 Bull Elk tags for 37A and filled all of them within 3 days of hunting. We saw over 60 Elk every day, among them 6x6's, 5x5's, rag horns and spikes. My son Walter shot the biggest one (photo below) a 6x6 at 300yds with one clean shot to the heart. The part of 37A that we hunted was all ours, we never saw another Elk hunter.

Fish and Game only issues 70 total tags for 37A, 7 of which are for non-res, we drew 3 of the 7 non-res tags and 1 res tag as a group. The unit is quite large and easily can handle 70 hunters. I did not advertise "where" we saw and "killed" all the bulls just the unit. We had to cut up and pack out 3 of the bulls uphill about 3/4 of a mile in a drainage that was so steep mules or horses could not go. I have been applying for 37A for the last 5 years and finally got drawn and should I not get drawn next year I will gladly share the exact location with another MM reader that did draw.
I have scouted 37A for many years and follow several Elk herds well in excess of 500 total Elk throughout the year. It's "our" National Forest and "our" Elk. If I can help bring another hunter success I'm glad to help!
Paul

Yeah i was curious as to why you were advertising your success while identifying a unit, but I didn't realize that it was a coveted controlled hunt.

I know the unit. I know it's controlled. I am glad you shot elk. I am glad you are willing to share.

I just think your initial post- which included no details about how hard hunt was, certainly can tack on an additional 10 20 new applicants to a unit every year. Not a big deal- just saying.

Were you going into the hunt hoping to fill your tag with any bull? Did you hear of any guys doing well on anything bigger?

Three of us (old guys, aged 53,56 & 59) were out to get meat not antlers and we were rewarded. My son is still looking for antlers and meat. I killed a trophy 6x6 Bull in AZ. last year. Had I not killed the spike, I had an easy shot at the other 6x6 bull in the herd that my son shot. Who knows, had we hunted a few more days I'm sure all of us could have taken larger bulls. I hunted a big 5x5 the same morning I shot the spike but he was quite elusive.
Some might say...."you applied and drew a controlled hunt for a premium zone, why shoot a spike"?
My answer, I applied and drew a controlled hunt to have higher opprtunities to fill an Elk tag. The Salmon "B" tag that I normally have is thick with hunters (and I still managed to guide my son to a huge 6x6 that he killed last season) which as everyone knows limits oppotunities.
As far as any other hunters success I do know of one other. According to the rancher that granted me access through his property to the National Forest, he said during the archery season in 37A a hunter took a 380 class bull. I never saw anything that large in antlers but I did find the most awesome archery season hidden glen to hunt, it was dirty with fresh Elk sign. Looking forward to next season.
Paul

Congrats on your success NiceRack it sounds like you had a great hunt. I dont believe your willingness to give out info will affect the hunt any. I hope you have just as good success next year if you bow hunt it and I bet you have it all to yourself again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom