38 type 1

Riley7/08

I drew 38 type 1. I know everyone gets fired up when people ask for help on here but I’m only doing this 1 time in my life so I’m going to ask, any info on the area would be great, im very familiar with the area but I’ve never hunted it. I’m not looking to kill a giant bull either just a good bull, any info is very appreciated.

Helped my nephew with the 38-9 archery tag last year. You can read about it in the 2022 Hunt Adventure thread that I wrote up last year. We luckily hit dates perfect and had an amazing hunt with the rut going full bore. Called in several bulls over 300" and my nephew ended up killing a great 330+" bull. Rut action was crazy the day he killed, but dead silent the next day so may be hit and miss.

Lots of elk and some of the coolest country that I have ever hunted elk in. Not sure about the 38-1 gun hunt. Never hunted it or been there during that time.

That is the most crowded hunt I’ve ever been on. I had that tag 10 years ago so I don’t know about it now but come opening morning there were headlights everywhere on the mountains. 3rd day of the hunt the weather got bad, temps were -5 degrees and it snowed about a foot. Get up there and scout it then set up a camp because opening morning you will be seeing people in places you didn’t expect, elk hunters that year, deer hunters and people camping. quite a few elk up there. Good luck.

I drew 38 type 1. I know everyone gets fired up when people ask for help on here but I’m only doing this 1 time in my life so I’m going to ask, any info on the area would be great, im very familiar with the area but I’ve never hunted it. I’m not looking to kill a giant bull either just a good bull, any info is very appreciated.
I live near this area and have hunted it a lot. You can message me if you have any question

I live near this area and have hunted it a lot. You can message me if you have any question
Hey Travis, Greg Reline from Ohio. I also drew the 38 type 1 tag. I had talked to a couple of guys who hunted it last year and hopefully got some solid information. My plans is to hunt up towards the Northwest corner up past where the crater ridge fire was. Looking at hunting fools interactive map it shows trails running out the ridges. Can you get a vehicle on them or they pretty much just atv trails? Also if you where hunting that unit whats your opinion on a atv bring one or would it be just as productive walking the ridges looking for good glassing spots. Last question. Roughly how long would it take to get from Ranchester to crater ridge. I am going to truck camp when I hunt but I am seriously considering coming out in august for a few days to hopefully get my game plan finalized. Thanks for any help you could provide with those questions.

38-9 tag a couple years ago.
Picture taken about 6 miles east of the Crater Ridge Fire in 2021. Got around good in my Tacoma.

0254B882-6AA4-4887-8EE5-3D50FA14864D.jpeg

DIY or outfitter?
DIY the first 8 days and I had a deal worked out with an outfitter in case I didn’t kill a bull on my own… we connected in the last 15 minutes of the 1st day. Elk hunted OTC DIY for 15yrs and have had some success, but I didn’t want to let these points go to waste. Kind of a once in a lifetime deal for me, or maybe once a decade anyway…just happy it worked out. What an awesome unit
DIY or outfitter?

As mentioned, snow can make or break that hunt! The elk migrate quite a bit from where they are all summer and the public gets hit pretty hard during archery season. If you have access to decent private land it will help during the rifle season.

Figure I better clarify the bud light was a joke, banquets all day
We go to Ireland every couple years to play golf. First time there we thought it was hilarious that in all the local pubs, the majority of locals were drinking Coors Light and all the tourists drinking Guiness, their Dublin brewed beer.

I hunted a 37-9 last year and we had 8" of snow around 10 SEP. Made a big difference in the hunt. My buddies hunted 38-1 last year and had a tuff hunt. Had a lot of trouble finding elk.

As mentioned, snow can make or break that hunt! The elk migrate quite a bit from where they are all summer and the public gets hit pretty hard during archery season. If you have access to decent private land it will help during the rifle season.
I would be willing to pay a trespass fee if you know any landowners that would allow it ?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom