3A Any Elk Rifle August

huntergirl623

ISO past experiences (success/hardships) with 3A Any Elk Rifle in August. I last drew in 2013 for a 3A/3C winter bull, and harvested in 3C on my first elk hunt. 8 bonus points later, I took a gamble for this coveted Any Elk hunt. I hope it wasn’t a waste of my bonus points (not being ungrateful), but a lot of preparation has gone into me being able to hunt the entire duration, such as mom-in-law flying across country to watch the baby, etc. (I live 4 hrs away from the unit). My father is unable to go with me, so I am asking if anyone has harvested during that time or hardships with this limited opportunity elk hunt. I am not seeking honey hole advice and know scouting is a must. I do hunt hard. Map recommendations welcome, Thank you!

Last edited:
Huh? Whats that hunt number? My quick scan of the hunts only shows 3a limited opportunity hunts, not the early rifle bull hunt.

I’m confused, which is normal. To your question, find water.

You had 8 points? Ouch. Yeah, that’s a limited opportunity hunt during the hot summer. There’s a reason they‘re called LO. It’s more of a elk control type hunt around the Dry Lake agriculture areas in 4B and 3A, but those elk cross back and forth across the highway. Also, there are 2 hunts before yours. Just hope the monsoons miss that area since water will be your best bet. I’d return the tag, but that’s just me. Hope you find success!

So far the monsoons have dumped a lot of water on the area with standing water in many places, not just tanks. There were about 100 elk in Dry Lake (4B and 3A sides) about 6 weeks ago, but AZGFD conducted several Population Management hunts that pretty well cleared them out. The elk are still around, but they arent going to be standing around in the open anymore after that.

I wouldn't expect a trophy but if you can come spend some time scouting you may be able to turn up a bull. At that time of year they might even be in velvet.

Flatlander, I believe my hunt is looking good from the people I have talked too up there...................................BULL!

ISO past experiences (success/hardships) with 3A Any Elk Rifle in August. I last drew in 2013 for a 3A/3C winter bull, and harvested in 3C on my first elk hunt. 8 bonus points later, I took a gamble for this coveted Any Elk hunt. I hope it wasn’t a waste of my bonus points (not being ungrateful), but a lot of preparation has gone into me being able to hunt the entire duration, such as mom-in-law flying across country to watch the baby, etc. (I live 4 hrs away from the unit). My father is unable to go with me, so I am asking if anyone has harvested during that time or hardships with this limited opportunity elk hunt. I am not seeking honey hole advice and know scouting is a must. I do hunt hard. Map recommendations welcome, Thank you!
I had a 3A any elk Aug tag last year. Tough hunt.
Snowman

20210828_185240.jpg

STC_0703.jpg

20210828_185131.jpg

Nice Bull! with no cameras this year might even make some hunts harder and make guides work harder. .................BULL!

I had pics of the same bulls on the same water holes in the same night 5 miles away as the crow flies. Those dudes in there (3c) range a LONG ways at night. Must be even further in 3a?

It was Aug 28th. Bull Down. The pic was taken by a buddy A3, 11 miles away. And it was the year before. I think he was actually smaller the year I harvested him. He traveled 11-12 miles looking for "ladies"..those ladies will be the death of us all !!! lol
Snowman

It looks like there’s only 5 permits there. You will do well. Plus, it’s an any elk permit. Make sure you bring at least 100 pounds of ice. 200 is better if you have the space. I grew up out there and continue to mess around in 3A. It was my favorite for Deer until they they turned a big chunk of it into a windmill operation and got rid of most junipers. It was actually better than 3C back in the 90s for big deer, not quantity. Elk were once plenty there, now the numbers are down but not so much you have a hard time finding them.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom