3am knock on the door

eelgrass

Long Time Member
You're fast asleep and you get a knock on the door. What happens next and how do you keep yourself safe? You don't have a doorbell camera. What's a person to do?

I have motion lights on all sides and corners of my house, which illuminate things pretty good - especially the doorways, which I can see thru windows. Identify the visitor, question them thru the door, call 911 if unsure. Rack the slide on the 12 ga and prepare to have a come to Jesus moment!! :)

I do nothing. Its the second knock that would concern me.

We have 4 Brazilian Mastiffs. They are the best guard dogs I have ever had. 650lbs of azzzhole, not including me. They are typically used as livestock/guardian dogs.

Anyone brave/stupid enough to knock a second time deserves my attention.

Badges are easy to get for someone faking being a cop. Instead ask to see their I.D. card issued by the department they are working for.
Knock at my door at 3 A.M. and you can bet your life there will be a gun in my hand when I yell. "who is it" and "what do you want". before I open the door.
If I do not like your answer, I will yell back to "go away" I am not opening the door. At the first door kick, lead will be flying.
Another security option to prevent some one from gaining entry on the first door kick. Remove those short wood screws that hold the door lock plates in place and replace the short screw with 2-1/2 or 3 inch screws that go past the door moulding into the door frame studs. Takes a couple kicks to bust the door open and gives you more time to start shooting.
Even liberal CA. has a "castle doctrine" that says you do not have to attempt to flee in your own home prior to using deadly force. You have the right to "stand your own ground"
Several days after the new "castle doctrine" law took effect, I investigated a home invasion incident where the home owner shot at the suspect in the hallway after the suspect kicked open his front door. The suspect did not have a weapon, but it was dark and the home owner could not see if he was armed, but had reasonable cause to believe his life and his family lives were in danger that justified the shooting. The home owner missed hitting the suspect and the suspect ran out of the house like his A$$ was on fire.

RELH

The closest I’ve come to getting shot at my home was by the cops. They had the wrong address. Still didn’t stop em from rolling me around in the gravel in zip ties.:mad:

I’m never opening the door again for a cop I don’t recognize. And if you want to sneek up on me, plan on around 10 pm. I’m awake at 3.:devilish:

Good advise on the long screws. I like to go a step further. If you take a 1/2" copper pipe, the dead bolt on your lock will slip inside it. Bore the bolt hole slightly larger for a press fit and tap in the copper pipe through the double door jam. This strengthens the wood so it will not splinter out. Again, it they want in, they are coming in! But, it gives you some time to prepare.

Badges are easy to get for someone faking being a cop. Instead ask to see their I.D. card issued by the department they are working for.
Knock at my door at 3 A.M. and you can bet your life there will be a gun in my hand when I yell. "who is it" and "what do you want". before I open the door.
If I do not like your answer, I will yell back to "go away" I am not opening the door. At the first door kick, lead will be flying.
Another security option to prevent some one from gaining entry on the first door kick. Remove those short wood screws that hold the door lock plates in place and replace the short screw with 2-1/2 or 3 inch screws that go past the door moulding into the door frame studs. Takes a couple kicks to bust the door open and gives you more time to start shooting.
Even liberal CA. has a "castle doctrine" that says you do not have to attempt to flee in your own home prior to using deadly force. You have the right to "stand your own ground"
Several days after the new "castle doctrine" law took effect, I investigated a home invasion incident where the home owner shot at the suspect in the hallway after the suspect kicked open his front door. The suspect did not have a weapon, but it was dark and the home owner could not see if he was armed, but had reasonable cause to believe his life and his family lives were in danger that justified the shooting. The home owner missed hitting the suspect and the suspect ran out of the house like his A$$ was on fire.

RELH
I went with something like this on all our (metal) exterior doors.

We also have steel doors on the outside too. Driveway sensors, 6' fenced yards, motion sensors linked to alarm system the dogs, the shotty. Yea if someone wants in, they're gonna get in, but not without some damage.

UNLESS it is Karen Fairchild knocking at my door. She gets a biometric pass key.

I worked with a guy whose son lived in a sketchy part of town. There was a drug house across the street with traffic coming and going at all hours. One night some gang bangers were parked out front playing loud music. My friend's son confronted them and told them to move along. They came and beat on his door, but he didn't answer it. When they kicked his door open, he shot one in the leg with a .243. The rest of them took off.

No charges filed and the guy lost his leg. His son did move to a new undisclosed location to avoid any more trouble.

I have had a knock on the door at 3am. I was living in Mesa, AZ at the time in a modest neighborhood. I am almost always up at that time anyways and was up and about that time. It was a total shocker to hear the knock. It was a small, soft knock but it was repeated over and over. I was able to peek through a nearby window and see that it was a young girl. Worrying that it was a set up, I grabbed my pistol and answered the door. She was just as shocked to see me. It was a wrong house thing after she explained herself.

The long screws thing is a must, and I even install them when I’m putting in a door for myself or anyone. A larger strike plate is good too and so is one of these-

F79620D3-19D5-4B8E-85DE-20AFE825E06E.jpeg

I've never had it happen. I was wondering what to do. Even if they say it's the sheriff, I'm not believing it. Call 911 like Blank said, I think.
Of course. I’ve experienced everything, have you noticed.

More than once.

There was a time I never locked the door, ever. That was at a more innocent time.

A couple times it was my kids or grandkids I was not expecting, coming in, in the middle of the night.

Here is my reaction to a 3:00 a.m. door knock.

I get out of bed and put my pants and shoes/slippers on…….. something on my feet.

Next, I start turning lights on, including the porch light. It tells whose’s ever at the door……. there is someone awake in the house.

Next, I go to a dark room with a window that I can see the front door from and look out to see who’s there, is there a vehicle I recognize out front, etc.

If I don’t recognize who’s there, I get a shot gun and I wait for them to do something more. In the one incident that it was someone I didn’t recognize, they walked away in a few minutes.

The sheriff deputies aren’t generally close enough to make a timely response so I’ve never called them. I did have a neighbor that was a deputy but he’s retired now……. he would still come on a gallup, if I called.

Not sure what else I could do.

When you live away from public services sometimes you have to think about how you’re going to skin your own cats, before they happen…..

I'd just go answer the door. Our exterior door has a window and I could stay in the dark and see who's out there. I'm always either armed or within arm's reach of a weapon. Not sure what I'd grab, but I have long rifles, black rifles, shotguns and handguns in my bedroom My wife is also armed.

It would take the sheriff a half hour to get to our house. Same for the ambulance. I served on the Volunteer Fire Dept with those people and they would only come if they called first.

My daughter and son-in-law live next door with the grandkids. My wife would likely call them as I was checking the door. Son-in-law would also be armed, likely with his AR, maybe his thermal. We could do a crossfire if necessary.

Our driveway is about 1/3 mile and doesn't go anywhere except here. I've seen where some people, probably kids looking for a place to park have turned around before they got to our house, but nobody has ever come here. Not even a trick or treater in 30 years. We're kinda off the beaten path in rural Wyoming.

I'd think the best and be ready to help, but prepare for the worst; just in case.

The closest I’ve come to getting shot at my home was by the cops. They had the wrong address. Still didn’t stop em from rolling me around in the gravel in zip ties.:mad:

I’m never opening the door again for a cop I don’t recognize. And if you want to sneek up on me, plan on around 10 pm. I’m awake at 3.:devilish:
you must be cool headed, i would sue his behind.

I had a knock in the middle of the night a few months ago but by the time I figured out what was going on and looked at the camera, my porch was empty. I played back the video and it was a young boy, maybe 12 years old, that I didn't recognize and with no shoes on his feet.

I figured something was wrong so I threw on sweat pants and shoes and ran out front. I could see the kid walking down the street about a half block away so I ran and caught up to him. I asked him what was wrong and if he needed help and he said he was looking for somebody to pray with him. You could see he had a lot of emotion in his eyes and was fighting back tears.

When he was done praying, I asked what I could do to help him but he wouldn't give me an answer and walked away.

I have no idea who he was or what was going on. I've wondered since then what he must've been going through to knock on a stranger's door in the middle of the night looking for someone to pray with. I hope he's okay.

I had a knock in the middle of the night a few months ago but by the time I figured out what was going on and looked at the camera, my porch was empty. I played back the video and it was a young boy, maybe 12 years old, that I didn't recognize and with no shoes on his feet.

I figured something was wrong so I threw on sweat pants and shoes and ran out front. I could see the kid walking down the street about a half block away so I ran and caught up to him. I asked him what was wrong and if he needed help and he said he was looking for somebody to pray with him. You could see he had a lot of emotion in his eyes and was fighting back tears.

When he was done praying, I asked what I could do to help him but he wouldn't give me an answer and walked away.

I have no idea who he was or what was going on. I've wondered since then what he must've been going through to knock on a stranger's door in the middle of the night looking for someone to pray with. I hope he's okay.
That's so sad. I'm sure you helped, grizzly.

I've been on the outside looking in at 3:00 am once when picking up a new hunting buddy. Turns out I was a block over and the house and trees were exactly the same Hahahahahahahaha !!!

When the fella racked his shotgun behind the door I was brought to attention right quick. Needless to say he laughed and a few days later walked over talked to my buddies house and saw that his was truly almost identical. Back in those days you didn't have gps or phones to use to know right where you were going.

As one who's been on the other side of the door, racking a pistol or shotgun in the dead of night will scare the bajeebees out of near anyone who's not high on something crazy. I've always said since then, that's what I'll be doing if I get a nock in the middle of the night. If they don't nock, there's actually already one loaded so they'll get a surprise in short order.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom