3rd Season 2020 Length

nmhntr

Has anyone heard the reasoning for shortening the third season to only one weekend? It was great for hunting with my kids because it had 2 weekends during the season!

The folks that hunt the second season wanted 2 weekends and they won.
Had nothing to do with that. CPW had a survey and most hunters supported more time between season (a longer break between seasons). So they made a longer break between seasons by shortening the seasons...

The whole restructure of the season is a disaster...

Had nothing to do with that. CPW had a survey and most hunters supported more time between season (a longer break between seasons). So they made a longer break between seasons by shortening the seasons...

The whole restructure of the season is a disaster...
Elks96 The original draft had the second season with less than 2 weekends to hunt and folks complained that they wanted 2 full weekends so the kids could hunt on weekends. CPW made the change to appease them. Here is a quote from a member.

testified in the Telluride CP&W Commission meeting that with the 3rd and 4th west slope deer seasons now being pushed later into November CP&W would need move more of these western slope buck tags into the 2nd season and lower the 4th season buck tags so as to not have undue pressure on the mature bucks in the peak of the November rut. Also, noted in the Alternatives was the 4th season being'optional'. An interesting feature. It may well not mean they won't have 4th seasons but my thought is it could indeed have choice of 4th deer considering DAU or GMU.

I and others also pushed for 2 weekends in the rifle deer seasons of 2nd and 3rd, but at least it seems they agreed to leave two weekends open for the 2nd season. Will help youth and folks needing go back to work M-F. The issue of changing season lengths of rifle seasons was due to trying create longer breaks between these seasons.

The desired goal is to hammer mature bucks, as the new CWD belief is that they are the culprits. Sorta reminds me of APR's back in the day. Won't make a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. Bout like the mass slaughters 20 yrs ago. None of this is new, we've been talkin about it for months.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks it may be better having a shorter 3rd season since the dates are pushed later and the bucks will likely be more prone to getting hammered during the rut?

Yeah, but those later days are when the bucks are most vulnerable, so the shortening may not equal lower harvest, especially on mature bucks.

I guess what I was hinting at is 7 days is better than the old 9 days. I really think pushing the season dates later is a huge mistake! I would rather have seen them push the rifle season dates backwards so more mature bucks survive.

So what's the goal of moving season dates later? Is it really to increase buck harvest because of CWD or is there another reason?

I wish I knew the answer for that.The only way to get rid of preference points is to destroy the trophy class animals. Then everyone can start fresh

So is CWD not the stated, official reason for pushing the season dates back? I guess I was thinking it was a stated goal somewhere, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Destroying the older age classes to fix the point problem is cynical man, but my cynical side says there could be some truth to it. I burned my elk points this past season, and once my deer points are gone I have no plans to send any more dollars CO's way.

There now are more days of gap between the rifle seasons....possibly allowing animals a longer break to wander back onto public land from private. Later season dates plus larger gaps between the seasons is not good for deer quality and numbers if you ask me!

They already know that CWD is in so low % of the herd that it is insignificant. Predators do a pretty good job of killing the few CWD sick animals that exist!

Colorado is going to go from the state every hard core mule deer hunter had to hunt every year no matter the $$, to just another western state. It’s a shame what they are doing, some of the worst management I’ve ever seen. What the hell happened, and who is making those decisions? It’s not like CWD is wiping the species out. BS excuse...

It’s sad to see what’s happening to the state. Piss poor management of our deer herds, predators and I have a strong feeling in my gut the introduction of wolves in coming down our throats. It infuriates me to even think about. Yet we as hunters are going to go out the next couple November’s and hammer the bucks that are left and then turn around and b@tch about why there’s no mature deer left in the state by 2024...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom