3rd season pressure

270Whatelse

Will hopefully be hunting deer 3rd season next year in a unit that is OTC for elk. (Hunted hard otc) We live a 20 hour drive away and only so much vacation time. Do you think we are better off getting there the Thursday before season start and hunting till Thursday(1.5 days scouting, 6 days hunting) or not getting there till Sunday, miss opening day and hunting till end of season? We have never missed opening day and was wondering how much pressure there is on the last weekend? Everybody burned out by then or a lot of hardcore guys out there waiting for the best last days? All thoughts welcome

If you're in a unit that is in close proximity to Denver or another large city that will determine a lot of the weekend pressure. We hunt unit 35 second or third season. After opening weekend it clears out pretty well. Second weekend is usually not as crazy. I would get there 1st Monday and hunt the remaining 6 days. Best of luck.

I can't argue with the suggestion above. However, I would personally get there before the season opens and get in a good spot for opening day, pretty much sit in one spot all day, and hope someone moves the elk by me. Sunday of that weekend will probably be a bust, but it should pick up after the weekend. So I would opt for getting there Thursday thru Thursday. You would be pulling out on Friday of the following week, just as many hunters would be coming back to hunt.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Since this is a deer hunt there will be no need to wait for elk to get pushed to them. I suggest the later in the season the better the deer hunt will be.