410+ Monster wounded

one_dryboot

Long Time Member
Messages
4,787
LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-13 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]Just talked to a friend that wounded a monster 410-420 bull he had been watching all summer. Said the shot was too far back. He gave it 4 hours and has slowly been on blood since but its drying up and traveled miles. Keep your eyes open if you're out in a decent LE unit. He has many pics of the bull so It will be easy to identify
 

mntman

Long Time Member
Messages
3,799
and it has started.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"


Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?
 

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
Messages
3,901
I've been keeping track and in the last 60 days guys in Utah have lost the following:
Numerous binoculars spotting scopes and cameras
ATV's
Horses/mules and tack
Day packs off of ATV's and those they have just left and wandered off and left.
Trail cameras always a hot topic
Elk
Soon to be archery deer

You guys sure lose a lot of stuff. I never see the amount of stuff listed as lost in any other western state forum. Hope you guys can find your stuff and some of the critters you shoot.
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
Did ww Lob a 150 Yard GUT Shot?




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

travishunter3006

Very Active Member
Messages
1,849
LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-13 AT 07:49PM (MST)[p]You beat me to it Boot!


For anyone who hasn't already heard about this bull:


The hunter has been tracking him but is only able to find a small spot of blood ever 30 yards or so. He's tracked the bull over 3 miles so far.


I'll keep you updated as he sends info to me.
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
Just got word they chased the Bull in to a different Unit!

Is it legal for him to keep Tracking the Bull?




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 
L

LongRangeBangin

Guest
>Just got word they chased the
>Bull in to a different
>Unit!
>
>Is it legal for him to
>keep Tracking the Bull?
>
>
>
>
>Founder just Banned My Signature!
>Hang in there!
>I'm working on another one!:D

My guess is if he's tracking a slightly wounded animal over 3 miles into a different unit, I'm betting he'll have to get out in front of it and chase in back before he gets caught in the wrong unit.
 

Gator

Long Time Member
Messages
17,172
wounded or not.
Don't get caught in the wrong unit with a dead Bull on the ground.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]
 
3

30incher

Guest
If he has many pics of the bull. Lets see a picture! Otherwise some guys may come across him dead and take his horns home without knowing who to return it too.
 

one_dryboot

Long Time Member
Messages
4,787
Well seems how he is still on the hill it may be hard for him to post pics. I would post some but they are not mine so I will let him if he wants.
He located the bull today and it is still alive. It is still in the same unit he is hunting so he doesn't need to worry. hopefully he will end the suffering of this great bull. I know he is sick about it.
 

rotorhead

Active Member
Messages
459
Great news that he is still on the bull. Hopefully he can put another arrow into him, and he can put this magnificent animal on the ground for good.
Thanks dryboot for the update. I have been in his shoes before, as I am sure anyone of us who have archery hunted has. It is a very sick feeling.
 

Gator

Long Time Member
Messages
17,172
LOL
That tape was just a hair off.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]
 

Roy

Moderator
Messages
7,410
>Update: Bull is down..... actual score
>335....... Terry

Translation: The headline should have read "MM 410+ "Monster" wounded"




HOOK 'EM!
_______________________________________

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/
 

rotorhead

Active Member
Messages
459
So is he really down? If so what does he really score? I don't believe the MM 335 score everyone gives for every bull on here! Lol
 

O_S_O_K

Active Member
Messages
850
RE: Found Him!

Is he dead yet?


"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
 

kzkammo

Active Member
Messages
424
RE: Found Him!

This is crazy, come on your killing me and everyone with the suspense. We all just wanna see the bulls that are hitting the ground. Can we get a pic.
 

HJB

Very Active Member
Messages
1,579
RE: Found Him!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-13 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-13 AT 11:10?AM (MST)

There's a big bull on the Pahvant that 4 guys were chasing around on the opener. He's a pretty sweet bull with a huge front end. Pretty sure he's still on the hoof.

Oh, and there's another one that will go 450", but nobody has seen him since last year. He has 30" 5ths. :D
 
N

nezzy

Guest
RE: Found Him!

I saw that 450 bull yesterday! Had a arrow sticking out of his A$$. His 5ths are 34".
 

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Messages
4,939
RE: Found Him!

I've got sent to me a 407 bull off Beaver. Is this the bull that they where chasing ? The text says Gooch's was the guide.
 

O_S_O_K

Active Member
Messages
850
RE: Found Him!

I heard that the guy that wounded the bull was an average Joe, DIY hunter even though the bull was surrounded by other prominent guiding services.

If true I am really rooting for the guy to find and finish off the bull, but chances are slim given the other resources on the mountain.

Also heard it wasn't the Beaver unit.

All of this being hearsay, I sure would like to hear from someone who really knows!


"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Just talked to a Friend & you Ain't gonna believe this SShhiitt!

The Hunter got within 31 Yards this morning & Flung another Arrow & Stuck Him right above the Hoof on the Back Leg!

JUDAS!!!




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-13 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]Getting lots of different Stories!

Heard the Bull was Down!

Hearing 407" and 410"?

Either way,over 400"!



690gooch_bull_2013.jpg




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-13 AT 10:10PM (MST)[p]

Only going by what I've been told Guys!

Don't know what's BS & what's not?




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
Messages
2,331
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

>Just talked to a Friend &
>you Ain't gonna believe this
>SShhiitt!
>
>The Hunter got within 31 Yards
>this morning & Flung another
>Arrow & Stuck Him right
>above the Hoof on the
>Back Leg!
>
>JUDAS!!!
>
>
>
>
>Founder just Banned My Signature!
>Hang in there!
>I'm working on another one!:D

If that's true the azz hat needs to hang it up!





Traditional >>>------->
 

hogg_65

Active Member
Messages
693
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

That bull is a giant beast. Whoever and whatever unit he was on. Congrats to that guy. Long snout on that bull to.
 

Gator

Long Time Member
Messages
17,172
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

Nice looking Bull, Looks like a old burn area with good feed.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]
 

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
Messages
1,316
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

Elkassbob,
You must work for the NSA with all of the insider info you have. Either that or you get around a lot :) I'm calling BS on your hoof story - we know how you hate us stickflippers!!
 
L

LongRangeBangin

Guest
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

That's HUGE! That's not much of a smile for the size of that bull he just got. WOW that's a nice one!
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

>Elkassbob,
>You must work for the NSA
>with all of the insider
>info you have. Either
>that or you get around
>a lot :) I'm
>calling BS on your hoof
>story - we know how
>you hate us stickflippers!!

Did You not read what I've Posted in this Thread & the "Where are the LE Pics"?

Going by what some others are Feeding me!

Some from Reliable known sources!

Others that I've Stated I didn't know rather it was BS or not?

Have nothing against true blue StickFlippers!

Slob StickFlippers,Ya I've got a Problem with & so does every other Ethical Hunter!

Ain't just StickFlippers,add the other Muzz Slobs & Rifle Slobs in there too!

I do get around a little bit,just not as much as I'd like!:D




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

wileywapati

Very Active Member
Messages
1,811
CAT you goofy sumbitch!! You know I
Wouldn't waste a tag on a 400" pisscutter!!
If it ain't at least 475 the unit sucks and is
Way over hunted, wouldn't even apply for the
Tag.





"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012
 

BRUIN4L

Active Member
Messages
485
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

I hunt with your friend but I'm not authorized to release the pics we have. He is HUGE and others may be after him (aka- mossback) please please help us find this bull! He is amazing. I can't say where this is, but if find a huge elk wounded in a LE area get in touch with Elkass and he will pass on the info.
 
H

hornhunter247

Guest
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

I hope someone finds this bull and finishes the job. I don't really care who at this point. Hate hearing about animals being wounded.


I just call em as I see em!
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
RE: BREAKING NEWS!!!

>I hope someone finds this bull
>and finishes the job. I
>don't really care who at
>this point. Hate hearing about
>animals being wounded.
>
>
>I just call em as I
>see em!

Right On hh247!


Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
>CAT you goofy sumbitch!! You know
>I
>Wouldn't waste a tag on a
>400" pisscutter!!
>If it ain't at least 475
>the unit sucks and is
>
>Way over hunted, wouldn't even apply
>for the
>Tag.
>
>
>
>
>
>"The future is large scale auction
>tags.
>The majority of the tags should
>go up
>for auction anually. It MIGHT even
>be
>good to allow second sales of
>auction
>tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
>
>and then re-selling them to the
>public."
>TRISTATE 8/17/2012

ww is Payin Attention!

Good Luck ww!

You Home already?

Just Checkin on ya!:D

That South Sloper might be so Big you might need my Help to Drag Him Down!

Best of Luck wiley!


Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

shedcrazy

Very Active Member
Messages
1,119
No predator makes a clean kill 100% of the time. I'm not going to judge a man that wounds an animal. I've wounded a few, myself. But, to judge wounding based on weapon of choice is ludicrous. there are every bit as many rifle/smokepole hunters wounding animals as bow hunters. This has always aggravated me. I watch rifle hunters taking 3oo yard running shots on a regular basis during colorado otc hunts. I've seen bowhunters do the equivalent.

We sharpen our trade and do the best we can to do right by the animals we harvest. occasionally we'll hit one a little far back or high or whatever. You hunt long enough, it will happen. The ethical practice is to take high percentage shots from a competent shooter, regardless of weapon.

That being said, i really hope SOMEBODY harvests this animal. not strictly because it a 400 class animal but because I'd rather see humans EAT this animal than coyotes and ravens.
 

krazy

Member
Messages
87
So, ethical question for you all. I am not trying to stir the pot, just curious what the ethical and/or courteous thing to do is, in this situation.

If the rumors are true and the bull was injured with a shot "a little too far back", should that hunter notch his tag? Does that depend on how severe the wound is, in the hunter's estimation?

If he does notch his tag, and if the bull is later killed by another hunter, who should keep the bull? Is it unethical for the second hunter to keep it, since it was possibly mortally wounded by the other hunter? Or is it ethical for the second to keep it, even if it might be a bit discourteous? Is it discourteous at all?

Anyway, I hope the bull is recovered, if it hasn't been already. It is hard to know what rumors to believe sometimes. Good luck to all this season!
 

shedcrazy

Very Active Member
Messages
1,119
should a lion "hang up his tag" if he didnt execute a clean kill on his first attempt? I think if you are trophy hunting, then perhaps he should hang it up.

Part two of your question, if i shoot a 400 class bull and drop him clean, you better bring lots of backup if you think you're taking it. I think law enforcement sides with who killed it.

and yes, good luck to all!
 

bamacpl

Active Member
Messages
473
To answer part 2----I witnessed this last year on the Henry's last year where one individual wounded a deer & then another dropped him dead & the DWR was called---they gave the deer to the guy that killed the deer dead
 

bigmoosie

Active Member
Messages
525
How many of you guys would eat a elk or deer for that matter that has been wounded for 3 or 4 days before being killed? I see these bowhunters on t.v. all the leave deer and especially elk out over nite all the time, I don't think I would eat too many of these animals.We shot an elk out over nite one time and when we quartered him the next morning after a 20degree nite, he was sour around the front shoulders. I'm not going to be eating an animal that has been runniung around for several days after being shot. Was just wondering how others felt. I too would like to see these animals killed but don't think I want to be eating them.
 

shedcrazy

Very Active Member
Messages
1,119
I think if they're still alive through the night, they're fine. I left an elk on top of a mountain over night two years in 15 degree heat but had gutted it, cut the wind pipe out, and peeled the hide off the shoulders. My elk was fine. My buddy didn't bother at all with his and ended up with a wal-mart bag of meat.

I guess infection could become an issue, while still alive.

Good question. have to play it by what you see and smell when you find the animal.
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
>How many of you guys would
>eat a elk or deer
>for that matter that has
>been wounded for 3 or
>4 days before being killed?
>I see these bowhunters on
>t.v. all the leave deer
>and especially elk out over
>nite all the time, I
>don't think I would eat
>too many of these animals.We
>shot an elk out over
>nite one time and when
>we quartered him the next
>morning after a 20degree nite,
>he was sour around the
>front shoulders. I'm not going
>to be eating an animal
>that has been runniung around
>for several days after being
>shot. Was just wondering how
>others felt. I too would
>like to see these animals
>killed but don't think I
>want to be eating them.
>

Not much in to eating Wounded animals that have been Limping around for days!

But I will put 120% in to recovering the Animal even if it takes days/weeks!

I see to many Hunters Give Up Only to move on & Wound another Animal,TOTAL BS!

I can't stand to know there's a wounded animal that I might be able to Help Locate!

Had a decent recovery record until last Fall,Spent 3 Days Tracking a wounded Animal,3 different Beds,a couple of Storms that really slowed me down,I failed,but Hope the Animal made it through,I think He did!

Think about this though:

Took some Hunters as many as 20 years to Pull the Tag!

Basically a Once in a Lifetime shot at a Trophy!

I know the Elite few Ethical Hunters will Punch their Tag on the 1st wounded animal no matter what!

But there is a High Percentage that will move on & on & on till they put the Tag on an Animal!

Sad but True!




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
For the MM Record Book:

It wasn't My Animal I was Tracking!

Don't want my Ass TRASHED (Again!) right here on MM!:D






Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

smitty

Very Active Member
Messages
1,589
It comes down to the individual.

Last year I shot and hit a 350ish bull on the Boulder Archery hunt. Never recovered the bull, nobody ever found him, hell, maybe he's down there right now chasing cows? Who knows? I'd put in for 10 years to draw the tag, well, when I wounded that bull, I punched my tag. My LE tag didn't stipulate on it, and I couldn't find in the regs anywhere, where it said that I had the right to kill an animal, at any and all costs. It didn't say if I wounded one to go ahead and shoot another............Anyhow, not to beat a dead horse. But that's my take on it.
 

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Messages
25,255
And for that SMUT We give you Great\High Standards for your Ethics!

Now go find that last Coyote You Gut Shot!:D




Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D
 

Wailing4Wapiti

Active Member
Messages
151
Last year my buddy shot a bull to high and a little too far back at 6PM. We made the right decision to not try to find him at night and went back the next morning. About 8:30, while doing a grid search, I am walking through some thick crap looking for sign on the ground and look up to see a bull staring at me head on at about 8 steps. (Maybe the most amazing, yet unnerving feeling I've ever had hunting.) I pulled an arrow out of my quiver, nocked it, drew and drilled him in the front of his chest. He ran 20 yards and fell over. Sure enough, he had an X on him right where my buddy was afraid he had hit him.

I thought he would not eat well but my buddy says its some of the best elk meat he has had and he has eaten quite a bit in his lifetime. Granted it wasn't a three day thing, but it was over 14 hours after his first hit before he was on the ground.

You never know for sure what the meat will taste like til it hits the grill. :)
 

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
Messages
2,331
>Boulder bull down by a 18
>year old. Picture I got
>says its a 400 bull
>?

Any pics??? IT's worthless without pics!!! HJB???






Traditional >>>------->
 

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Messages
4,939
Yep ! I got one sent to my phone. I don't know the people and didn't know if I should post with out permission ?
 

nickman

Long Time Member
Messages
4,580
>Last year my buddy shot a
>bull to high and a
>little too far back at
>6PM. We made the
>right decision to not try
>to find him at night
>and went back the next
>morning. About 8:30, while
>doing a grid search, I
>am walking through some thick
>crap looking for sign on
>the ground and look up
>to see a bull staring
>at me head on at
>about 8 steps. (Maybe
>the most amazing, yet unnerving
>feeling I've ever had hunting.)
> I pulled an arrow
>out of my quiver, nocked
>it, drew and drilled him
>in the front of his
>chest. He ran 20
>yards and fell over.
>Sure enough, he had an
>X on him right where
>my buddy was afraid he
>had hit him.
>
>I thought he would not eat
>well but my buddy says
>its some of the best
>elk meat he has had
>and he has eaten quite
>a bit in his lifetime.
> Granted it wasn't a
>three day thing, but it
>was over 14 hours after
>his first hit before he
>was on the ground.
>
>You never know for sure what
>the meat will taste like
>til it hits the grill.
>:)

So.....you and your buddy both broke the law and you are admitting it on a public forum?........LOL!

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"
 

Wailing4Wapiti

Active Member
Messages
151
LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-13 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]Excuse me?? We didn't break any laws. I didn't even know it was my buddy's bull until after he was dead. I had an unfilled tag as well so I was hunting legally. Don't know what kind of crazy laws you have in your state, but I was in NM and I know its game laws pretty well. (Actually don't see how what we did could be illegal anywhere that issues tags to hunt elk.)

My point in the post was don't give up on the meat. Sure it makes sense that a wounded elk would taste badly, but our experience says otherwise.
 
S

Swivels

Guest
Party hunting...wait isn't that where you throw a couple of cases of beer into the bed of the truck before you drive through the sagebrush.
 

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
Messages
2,331
>Yep ! I got one sent
>to my phone. I don't
>know the people and didn't
>know if I should post
>with out permission ?

Post em up! All this politically correct crap has gotta stop! :)




Traditional >>>------->
 
H

hornhunter247

Guest
What did this 410-420 bull look like? Just got a pic from a buddy of an absolute giant bull! 7x8 or 8x8 that's going to be up in that range. Not posting the pic because I have no clue who the guys in it are


I just call em as I see em!
 

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
Messages
2,331
>What did this 410-420 bull look
>like? Just got a pic
>from a buddy of an
>absolute giant bull! 7x8 or
>8x8 that's going to be
>up in that range. Not
>posting the pic because I
>have no clue who the
>guys in it are
>
>
>I just call em as I
>see em!

POST IT! If its going around as a text they obviously don't give a rats azz that its Gettin out!




Traditional >>>------->
 

O_S_O_K

Active Member
Messages
850
If you don't even know the guys and you got the pic from someone else then why not post it???

We want pics!!!!


"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
 

Wailing4Wapiti

Active Member
Messages
151
It isn't party hunting when you both have tags and are both legal to kill the elk in front of you. Party hunting is when multiple people are trying to use fewer tags than they have hunters.
 

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Messages
4,939
When I transferred this picture from my phone to my computer . The jpeg is bad, grainy . The better picture I transferred was a png and it wont let me load. I used to be able to change thing to jpeg. But with my new programs I cant figure out how to do it . So thats why the picture looks so bad. Is there a easy fix ?
 

nickman

Long Time Member
Messages
4,580
>LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-13
>AT 03:10?PM (MST)

>
>Excuse me?? We didn't break any
>laws. I didn't even
>know it was my buddy's
>bull until after he was
>dead. I had an unfilled
>tag as well so I
>was hunting legally. Don't know
>what kind of crazy laws
>you have in your state,
>but I was in NM
>and I know its game
>laws pretty well. (Actually
>don't see how what we
>did could be illegal anywhere
>that issues tags to hunt
>elk.)
>
>My point in the post was
>don't give up on the
>meat. Sure it makes
>sense that a wounded elk
>would taste badly, but our
>experience says otherwise.

The way you wrote the story, sounds like you killed the bull and your buddy tagged it......and he is the one eating it. Sorry if i misread the post.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"
 
B

BDR

Guest
I know the Boulders well wonder what the age is on that one thats were big bulls go to die !
"GONE FISHIN WILL BE BACK FOR HUNTIN
SEASON"
 

338RUM

Active Member
Messages
304
That's what it sounds like to me as well. WailinWap needs to read the proclamation a little better....

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt
 

338RUM

Active Member
Messages
304
Help you out a bit WailinWap....

Party hunting
Utah Code ? 23-19-1 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-15
You may not take a big game animal for
another person. For example, you cannot kill a
big game animal, and then tag the animal with a
tag that belongs to one of your hunting companions.
This practice is called ?party hunting,? and
it's illegal.


"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt
 

338RUM

Active Member
Messages
304
And that is how it's illegal in Utah!!

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt
 

AZStickman

Moderator
Messages
2,371
"But with my new programs I cant figure out how to do it . So thats why the picture looks so bad. Is there a easy fix "

Take it into "Paint" and hit file / save as / and choose jpg as the file format....... Terry
 

dz

Very Active Member
Messages
1,059
Alright I need some help. My reading comprehension is bad. So I think there is, was, were two bulls wounded, were they harvested?

DZ
 

338RUM

Active Member
Messages
304
And apparently New Mexico has the same "crazy" law....


Be Aware of What's Legal and What Isn?t
Laws of the State of New Mexico make illegal: reckless and careless handling of firearms; improper
handling of fire; property damage; polluting streams, lakes and other water; discarding refuse on
public or private property without permission; damaging telephone wires by gunfire or otherwise
interfering with communications; and hunting while intoxicated.
Furthermore, it is illegal to:
? Kill more than one of the following: elk, pronghorn antelope, Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep,
javelina, oryx, bear or deer during any license year, except as permitted by rule.
? Apply for, buy or use more than one license or tag for any big-game species during any license
year, except as permitted by rule.
? Take or attempt to take a protected species for another person or to use a license issued to another.



"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt
 

Wailing4Wapiti

Active Member
Messages
151
I don't believe what we did was not at illegal and it wasn't in Utah. The only question was who tags the animal. The first shooter whose shot was about to be a killing shot (Hence the reason he didn't do more than stand up when I walked up on him) or the one who took the mop up shot, i.e. me. If I hadn't shot the bull, he would have expired shortly from my buddy's shot. All I did was hasten his death. If I had realized it was the same bull my buddy had shot earlier, I could have backed out and let him come finish him off, though from a humane standpoint, the best thing to do was to finish him as quickly as possible. We have always worked on the "first blood" principle though I now realize that may not be the technical law in every state.

If someone wants to give me a ticket for that. Fine, I will go to court and argue my case and if found guilty I will deal with it. However, I know without a doubt I did the right thing and I'm glad we finally got my buddy his first archery bull even if it did require a little extra help. The spirit of the party hunting law is for guys who have one elk tag, two deer tags and a bear tag between four or even more guys yet everyone has a green light to shoot any of the animals. Or if someone has already tagged out on their tag but shoots another and puts someone else's tag on it. Party hunting we were not. A technical mistake, possibly, though I have talked with two different Game department personnel who said what we did was fine. Could a judge or lawyer see it otherwise? Certainly. I, however, will not lose any sleep over it.
 

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
Messages
3,901
You would think an English Teacher could come up with a signature to replace what founder banned. They're drama queens yanking your chain, IMO you did nothing wrong.
 

shotgun1

Active Member
Messages
704
Just heard the hunter found the bull still alive and attempted a Texas heart shot to finish him off. Well the shot was a little low, now the bull is neutered.
 
M

Muleymonster

Guest
>I don't believe what we did
>was not at illegal and
>it wasn't in Utah.
>The only question was who
>tags the animal. The
>first shooter whose shot was
>about to be a killing
>shot (Hence the reason he
>didn't do more than stand
>up when I walked up
>on him) or the one
>who took the mop up
>shot, i.e. me. If
>I hadn't shot the bull,
>he would have expired shortly
>from my buddy's shot.
>All I did was hasten
>his death. If I
>had realized it was the
>same bull my buddy had
>shot earlier, I could have
>backed out and let him
>come finish him off, though
>from a humane standpoint, the
>best thing to do was
>to finish him as quickly
>as possible. We have
>always worked on the "first
>blood" principle though I now
>realize that may not be
>the technical law in every
>state.
>
>If someone wants to give me
>a ticket for that.
>Fine, I will go to
>court and argue my case
>and if found guilty I
>will deal with it.
>However, I know without a
>doubt I did the right
>thing and I'm glad we
>finally got my buddy his
>first archery bull even if
>it did require a little
>extra help. The spirit
>of the party hunting law
>is for guys who have
>one elk tag, two deer
>tags and a bear tag
>between four or even more
>guys yet everyone has a
>green light to shoot any
>of the animals. Or
>if someone has already tagged
>out on their tag but
>shoots another and puts someone
>else's tag on it.
>Party hunting we were not.
> A technical mistake, possibly,
>though I have talked with
>two different Game department personnel
>who said what we did
>was fine. Could a
>judge or lawyer see it
>otherwise? Certainly. I,
>however, will not lose any
>sleep over it.

You've already been found guilty. The MM lynch mob is on its way.
 

jray

Active Member
Messages
132
RE: 410 Monster wounded

Watch out Wailing4Wapiti, the usual MM sheriffs posse is after ya! Party hunting? Give me a break. In my eyes you're a stand up guy for putting the bull out of his misery and giving the bull to your buddy (whether you knew it was wounded or not). I guess you shouldn't have shot him, checked if he was wounded by walking around him (at 8 feet away), then went and found your buddy, and guide him back to go kill him!

Until somebody has felt the pain of losing a trophy animal, knowing he's either going to waste or suffering, they can say what they think they would do. I suppose if their buddy mortally wounded a 400 bull or a 200 inch buck, they would be fine with killing it and tagging it? I doubt it, but yet after learning the personality of a few of these guys, I wouldn't put it past them. Hell, they'd probably post it on this site bragging about it, rubbing it in their friends face.

Breaking the "law" or not, I believe in an unwritten hunter code which sadly it seems more and more people don't believe in. In my eyes, it comes down to having the ultimate respect for the animal and your hunting partner. I'll be damned if I'm going to watch my buddies bull suffer, while I go track him down to hopefully go back and find the elk again to put it down.
 

rotorhead

Active Member
Messages
459
RE: 410 Monster wounded

+1000 jray. People can type all they want on a computer screen all day long. I bet everyone in there right mind would have shot that bull. Better than letting it suffer and possibly never finding it.
Wapiti you did the right thing!! It's just like 5-6 years ago I was turkey hunting. There was a turkey trying to get through a fence from private to public. Some jackass comes up behind me and starts yelling shoot it shoot it. If you don't I will. So I shot the turkey. About a week later, the fish and game shows up at my house saying the jackass turned me in for poaching a turkey off private land.
No wonder I can't seam to draw my LE elk tag. The DWR has it out for me. :)
 
F

Foxskinner

Guest
RE: 410 Monster wounded

So what is the news with this 410 bull. Did he die on the mountain and no one gets him now? Is he alive? Still being chased?
 

rotorhead

Active Member
Messages
459
RE: 410 Monster wounded

No body has really said anything fox. How is your hunt going? Are the elk talking down there yet?
 

dz

Very Active Member
Messages
1,059
RE: 410 Monster wounded

Okay back to the top with this one. Enquiring minds want to know. What happened out there???????? Good bad or otherwise give us something.

DZ
 

travishunter3006

Very Active Member
Messages
1,849
RE: 410 Monster wounded

the bull was never recovered during the season.


A little time on the new boots found him up.


Dryboobies.... I'll let you tell the rest as it is really your thread.
 

Gator

Long Time Member
Messages
17,172
RE: 410 Monster wounded

Yes lets have a PAUL HARVEY moment.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]
 

Gator

Long Time Member
Messages
17,172
RE: 410 Monster wounded

right or wrong I believe you did the right thing it was your buddy Bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]
 
D

Deleted member 519

Guest
RE: 410 Monster wounded

How did this story finish up? You should be able to put up pictures now.
 

one_dryboot

Long Time Member
Messages
4,787
RE: 410 Monster wounded

Good news for the bull. He went missing after he was shot and thought he was dead. He has shown up on trail cameras this month and he looks great. Body is solid and doesn't appear to be hurting. The best news is he looks to be just as big this year with no funky growth from being wounded.
 

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom