430+" Owyhee County Bull

I

Idahotrophyhunter

Fish and Game swears that the next world record is coming out of this unit and I now know why...Was scouting for a buddy few days ago after he told me F&G found sheds last year that scored about 423. Not going to give a location other than he was in the flat land (were the antelope roam)...Biggest elk I have ever seen - 8X9 with more mass than a Redwood. Easily will go 430+ maybe 440... He was with 5 other bulls that were 340 and up. Mark my words, There will me a manificent 420+ bull come out of the Owyhees this year.

PS... Also saw a 200-210 " typical 5 point!

Adam

Hey Adam! Wow! You saw some Great bulls! Not sure how to ask this but,,,,,, my sister has a Super tag for bulls! Was it in the triangle area?
Brian

Hey Adam! Wow! You saw some Great bulls! Not sure how to ask this but,,,,,, my sister has a Super tag for bulls! Was it in the triangle area?
Brian
Fish and Game swears that the next world record is coming out of this unit and I now know why...Was scouting for a buddy few days ago after he told me F&G found sheds last year that scored about 423. Not going to give a location other than he was in the flat land (were the antelope roam)...Biggest elk I have ever seen - 8X9 with more mass than a Redwood. Easily will go 430+ maybe 440... He was with 5 other bulls that were 340 and up. Mark my words, There will me a manificent 420+ bull come out of the Owyhees this year.

PS... Also saw a 200-210 " typical 5 point!

Adam
Hi Adam. ready your post on Owyhee elk. I drew a Super elk tag this year and curious what general area. Any information would be much appreciated. thanks
Tom

Already cut all the junipers down in 2020. So good luck finding any game for a few years after that. God save the sage grouse, "the cattle"...

Especially the reflective tags on thousands of fences through out southern Idaho. Them Juniper cutters took down a hell of a lot of browse for deer.
100,s of acres opened up for stock and the remaining elk to further the demise of mule deer .
Destroying one resource for the benefit of another..., not FU**ing cool!

All damn political in the end.....

Does anyone have a picture of a 430+ bull? I wouldn't know how to judge that.
I guess with all of the juniper cut down, now is the year to go scout it.

Please explain why cutting down the junipers is bad? I always thought they did chaining to improve deer habitat. Or did they do to much?
Thanks

Does anyone have a picture of a 430+ bull? I wouldn't know how to judge that.
I guess with all of the juniper cut down, now is the year to go scout it.
World record 478 5/8.
5F8D913D-B636-41C0-90F1-4AF16B526E3D.jpeg

Please explain why cutting down the junipers is bad? I always thought they did chaining to improve deer habitat. Or did they do to much?
Thanks

I do understand clearing densely populated juniper areas they suck some serious moisture we don’t have.
However, going into areas where there is a mix of bitter brush and other browse along with sparse junipers and destroying forage that takes decades to reach a couple feet tall is not cool.

I do understand clearing densely populated juniper areas they suck some serious moisture we don’t have.
However, going into areas where there is a mix of bitter brush and other browse along with sparse junipers and destroying forage that takes decades to reach a couple feet tall is not cool.
They don’t.

Junipers suck out surface as well as deep moisture from the soil. Notice nothing grows beneath their canopy and that also takes away acreage from sage and browse forage from growing. Junipers alter water evapo, absorption and runoff that isn’t favorable to competition with browse shrubs.

everything you wanted to know about junipers in the Great Basin.

See pg.s 135, 146

Pinon-juniper reduction increases soil water availability of the resource growth pool - https://doi.org/10.2111/REM-D-13-00022.1