44 second season success

buckhorn

Very Active Member
First of all thanks very much to the MM ers who offered their suggestions and advice . With a special thanks to (Bigmoose)
My son and I have always wanted to hunt unit 44 but after realizing we would never draw a later season tag he decided to burn his points on the second season.
After finding out he drew I drove from Nevada over to Colorado and scouted for a week and found a place that had some bucks so that's where we focused our attention.
We started the hunt with the hopes of finding a really big buck but after five days of looking we really didn't see anything big so we decided we should take this buck that we had seen on opening day if he gave us a chance.
He had moved off the top and was way down in the bottom of a deep canyon. We found him out feeding at 8 AM. I ranged him at 340 yards. It was a very very steep downhill shot. Our gun is zeroed at 200 and at first I thought about having him adjust the elevation turret according to our chart but then decided not to since it was so steep. He left the scope set on the 200 yd zero setting. We were sitting on a little ledge rock Noll and it made for a perfect rest. After settling in and waiting for the buck to turn broadside he made a great one shot kill. I was watching through the spotting scope and when the bullet hit the book kicked and ran a few steps and stop to look around to see what was going on. I said I think he is hit and just then he tipped over and began rolling downhill. The hillside was so steep he rolled another 50 yards before coming to rest.
The shot was perfect. It went in just behind that left front leg and came out low behind the right front leg and didn't ruin a speck of meat.
After high fives hugs and pictures we quartered him out and begin the tuff uphill pack out. It took two trips to get all our gear and the deer out of there but it was well worth it.
My son is now 34 years old and I don't always get to spend as much time with him as I would like but this trip we made some good memories and had a blast together
He shot this buck with our custom made 7 MM Remington magnum with my hand loaded cartridges using 180 grain Berger bullets.
This deer was the first animal that gun had ever shot at so it's now one for one.
I've heard it said that you don't always measure a hunts success by the inches of antlers. That statement is definitely true this time.
Thanks again to you all.http://www.monstermuleys.info/photo...18/46439c9d3f83afcff44c78bdb9e7ce9038ac8.jpeg

Thanks folks for all the kind reply?s. Much appreciated.b

My son is turning into quite a good hunter. He doesn't have the passion for it that I do that he is a great shot and get around the hills really well. And he's my favorite hunting partner.

Now I will need to decide what to do with my 15 nonresident deer points for Colorado. I had always hoped to draw a 44/3rd season tag but since that will likely never happen I'm going to need to come up with an alternative.

Glad you guys had a good hunt. Congrats on a good looking buck !

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Nothing is wrong with that Buck.
Sounds like you had a fun hunt and tons of memories to go with a fine time.
You can't beat that with a ugly stick.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom