444 4th Season Info

ORHunter81

Hey All,

I drew a 4th season deer tag for Co 444. I am just starting to put together a plan and was hoping to get a little info. I plan on doing a solo trip and was wondering if anyone has hunted this in the past few years. What kind of conditions can be expected in mid-November? I like to hike and get away from the crowds but will I regret it if I leave my 4-wheeler at home? What kind of caliber deer does the unit produce?

I plan on contacting the local game bio but figured I would try to get some intel on here as well.

Thanks

I Archery hunted unit 444 3 years ago. Rifle hunted for 2 years after that in the 2nd season. during the archery season i hunted red table mountain and lime park, burnt mountain areas. i ended up shooting a decent 4X4 in the last week. there are decent bucks up there i did see a very nice buck in one of my rifle seasons but no tag. During the 4th season red table usually has snow depending on the year its either inaccessible or 4 chains lucky to make it. the eastern side of the unit is usually accessible but depending where you are driving in from the roads can be pretty harsh. i have seen some monster deer in some drainages and have heard of people getting them but i usually seen them during the summer doing horseback rides. i suggest lots of walking it can be a harsh unit to hunt. but like any unit to find big deer you gotta work for them. i do not hunt on four wheelers nothing against them but im more of the park the truck and hike in to where i wanna be and hunt on foot or take my horses in. if you give me a little more info on where you are gonna stay or hunt from i may be able to give you a little more info on where to go and what to try.

$MAVERICK$

I've also hunted 444 for many years. As with many units the deer seem to have declined but there are some good ones around. I usually hunt similar areas as Fishinghunter (around Crooked Creek Lake) and we also tend to see more deer early but they definately are few and far between in that area the later you go. I've not hunted 4th season but have done 3rd a few years back and the deer tend to move out of this area early with the snow. ATV's are nearly useless unless you want to drive up and down the roads. Most roads are accessible by vehicle and ATV's are not allowed except on designated roads so my opinion would be it's not worth the trouble. I also know a couple areas you could pack into depending on what your up for. PM me if you're interested in more details.

Thanks for the info. I prefer to drive in and then hike on foot as well. I have been on hunts though where the roads are really nasty and a 4wheeler is the best way to get from camp to where you are hiking so thats good to know. 1 less thing to bring.

Hello,

I am planning an archery hunt to unit 444 this fall. This will be my first time hunting mule deer, and first time hunting in CO. I have backpacked a few times in the area. I wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on where to hunt and access points? I've read about the declining deer population in the area, and so am curious what people think. Thanks in advance for any tips you share. - Dan

That 4th season tag can be really tough... a lot of those deer migrate off red table and basalt mountain and end up on the private ground on Missouri heights/spring creek or they end up in 44.

I’m interested as well if he reports back on how he did as I’m considering this for 2021

Also curious as the research I have done about unit 444 is that the later in the year it is the more likely the deer will be on private with no access to our around the private. Is there anyone that will give you a trespass fee for entering there property?

Also curious as the research I have done about unit 444 is that the later in the year it is the more likely the deer will be on private with no access to our around the private. Is there anyone that will give you a trespass fee for entering there property?
Sure if you have realllllyyyyyyy deep pockets. Bottom line, great genetics but it’s a tough hunt. Honestly the best chance you have at killing a giant in there is on public is a 2nd season tag and be prepared to take a a$$ kicking to get it done. Most guys won’t last 2 days in some of that country where those bucks hole up in.

Sure if you have realllllyyyyyyy deep pockets. Bottom line, great genetics but it’s a tough hunt. Honestly the best chance you have at killing a giant in there is on public is a 2nd season tag and be prepared to take a a$$ kicking to get it done. Most guys won’t last 2 days in some of that country where those bucks hole up in.
Hmm that’s good to know, guess it sounds like a trespass fee is out for me then.

Thank you for the reply Colorado boy. I have hunted that area for years and know it well. I agree 100% with your statements. I thought maybe one of the tag holders might jump in with something I didn't already know but that is the reason so many get a hard time on here. Ask for help and then disappear until they draw again. The whole area from my experience has never had high deer numbers since I started hunting it in 1999. Yes, you can drive the heights and have to wait for them to get out of the road. But even there I do not believe you could get to over 30 deer a day without counting some more then once.

I have to agree with Coloradoboy. If you're not hunting some of the lower private ground, my opinion is that the fourth season is a waste of time. Even during the third season I feel like most of the deer have already made their way to the private ranches. I've been hunting 444 since 1979. Like most of Colorado, I sure would love to see the deer numbers even half of what they used to be!

I have to agree with Coloradoboy. If you're not hunting some of the lower private ground, my opinion is that the fourth season is a waste of time. Even during the third season I feel like most of the deer have already made their way to the private ranches. I've been hunting 444 since 1979. Like most of Colorado, I sure would love to see the deer numbers even half of what they used to be!
Hey Gadjet I sent you a message

Have you hunted 3rd and or 4th season in 444?
Yes, 4th season. Wasn't really huntable with the amount of snow higher and private land down low.

I can only imagine with 4th season being later now, that it will just get worse.

Intersted in what it's like up high during muzzleloader season.

Yes, 4th season. Wasn't really huntable with the amount of snow higher and private land down low.

I can only imagine with 4th season being later now, that it will just get worse.

Intersted in what it's like up high during muzzleloader season.
I appreciate your response I was considering this unit for 3rd season 2021 which will be close to 4th season dates and have heard this from others which this makes my decision to take this unit off the table for 21 thank you.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom