4b early archery bull help

Josh87

First time to Arizona elk hunting, I'm from Tennessee so I've been scouting by onX hunt app. I've found several potential ?water holes? and the southern part of the unit looks thick with junipers. Also looks like it has several roads that run threw the southern part of unit. I'll be arriving 2 days before the hunt and plan on hunting the full 2 weeks of season. Does anyone have any tips or information about the unit? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The southern part of the unit consists of tall pines and drainages generally running south to north and you'll be hunting at around the 7000? level. More water and more lush compared to the rest of the unit. As you head north, it gets drier and less dense and that's where you'll find the pinyon junipers. Be aware, north of the forest boundary, a lot of that country is private 40 acre ranchettes.

With that said, It's been a very dry monsoon season for us. Haven?t been up there, but I'd bet dollars to donuts, the tanks in the northern part will be dry. Even the southern part hasn't received its normal rain for the summer. But it will be better. Unless it starts dumping rain within the next few weeks, I'd concentrate in the southern part.

Good luck!

Unfortunately I can't offer any info on the hunt. I searched the AZ forum for "4B", hoping to find a couple previous posts. Didn't find anything in the last year, but search the other forums and you might get lucky.

Anyway, good to have another Tennessean join the forum. What part you from? Me? East TN.

Good luck and post pics!

4B is generally a flat unit, hard to glass if they aren't vocal. It will be hot so find water sources and sit water if rut is slow. Most people hunt the southern end of unit but don't be afraid to hunt the P/J country as a lot of elk will hang in there also.

Good luck !

I filled my tag on the second day of the hunt. It was an awesome hunt even though I didn't shoot the biggest bull I seen or had in bow range. It was worth all the time and preparation. From the day I got drawn I dedicated everyday towards harvesting a bull elk and I succeeded. First elk, first time elk hunting and a DIY hunt. I am spoiled and hooked!
918810f76cda27f764dc68763839a1c7cf088.jpg

Congrats! Thanks for updating us. And yes, archery elk hunting is addicting! It?ll be all you think about from here on out! :)

Nice work Josh ! First Elk hunt, DIY, Nice bull - you're WAY ahead of the curve :) CONGRATULATIONS ! Chip

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom