4th season unit 4 or 3rd season unit 22

labby1

Any thoughts on these units. I have never hunted deer in CO or anywhere out west for that matter. I have Elk hunted the past 22 years somewhere out west and have always helped people in units I have hunted so please don't give me any BS comments about asking for insight. I was not planning on applying until all of this recent Covid crap going around I guess it got me thinking that I am not getting any younger. I am 47 and in shape to hunt. Looking at the later season dates this fall and they fit in my schedule nicely. Any help before I apply later this week would be great

You can't go wrong with either of those. One thing I would say, is I would expect some point creep, especially for 22, this year, so if you're on the bubble with points, you will probably miss it.

I have 12 pts so it looks like I could draw either tag minus a lot of point creep. 3rd season is Nov 7-13 4th season is Nov 18th to 22nd. One thing I really like about the 4th season tag is there are not many tags so we will have it pretty much to ourselves. The downside is there will have been a ton of pressure the week before and a lot of the good deer will be dead

I would pick 22, 3rd, if they were mine, for the simple reason that access is excellent, and there's more productive country than you can cover. I'd show up a couple of days early to learn the roads, and give it hell, all 7 days.

You will see a lot of deer in Unit 22 third season. Mostly smaller bucks, but you could find a great deer on the 7 day hunt. Could also get snowed out for several days on your 3rd or 4th season hunt and the longer 7 day season gives you some extra time to make up for any delays. I do not know anything about unit 4.

I don’t know anything about the quantity or quality of animals in either unit. Assuming they are the same, for me a hunt with less people around would be more of a quality experience.
What kind of elk hunting pressure would there be in one hunt versus the other?

I hunted 22 3rd in 2017 and had a great hunt. Would love that tag again. Can’t speak for unit 4. Either sound like good options. Good luck!

I have 12 pts so it looks like I could draw either tag minus a lot of point creep. 3rd season is Nov 7-13 4th season is Nov 18th to 22nd. One thing I really like about the 4th season tag is there are not many tags so we will have it pretty much to ourselves. The downside is there will have been a ton of pressure the week before and a lot of the good deer will be dead
Dont forget about the 4th season elk hunters running all over the place

You will see a lot of deer in Unit 22 third season. Mostly smaller bucks, but you could find a great deer on the 7 day hunt. Could also get snowed out for several days on your 3rd or 4th season hunt and the longer 7 day season gives you some extra time to make up for any delays. I do not know anything about unit 4.
Assuming you have not been in 22 in the last 2 years? It is nowhere near what it used to be. I spent a lot of time in the unit last year (november-Jan) and saw less the 5% of the deer that we used to see and NO big bucks at all.

There's a bunch of Colorado natives that love to tell you how terrible things are now, and I'm sure the deer hunting is a shadow of what it once was, but don't let that discourage you. If you like to hunt Deer, the Colorado rifle hunts are still a hell of a lot of fun, and there is always a chance of finding something special. Happens every year.... Assuming you get some favorable weather, and you hunt hard, you're going to see a lot of bucks, and have a good time. Weather will make or break chances at a big Deer. No beating that one.

Hunted unit 22 third season two years ago for 9 days, sun up to sun down, and I did see 10-20 bucks a day. I did not turn up anything special, but had a great hunt. Of course hunting quality is relative and for a new mule deer hunter coming out West it should be a fun hunt even if it has gone down hill recently. It does have some hunting presure from mule deer and elk hunters, but nothing like a general season Utah hunt. The unit does have a decent amount of private land and many roads are locked with public land inaccessible, There is no perfect unit in any state, go hunt and have a good time!

There's a bunch of Colorado natives that love to tell you how terrible things are now, and I'm sure the deer hunting is a shadow of what it once was, but don't let that discourage you.

Its fabulous... nearly 20% of deer tested had CWD in the NW corner two years in a row... through in some winter kill, its obvious residents are keeping the good hunting a secret or making it seem worse than it is...

If you do apply I wish you the best of luck, just be realistic because it really isn't what it was... sure there's always going to be a fraction of a chance to find a great buck, but really that's the case anywhere in the West.... Don't get hung up on score or you'll likely be disappointed....

I have hunted 22 since the early 1990s. Every single deer season for nearly 30 years. I have logged as much time in the unit as anyone and I am one of those "Locals" who will say it. The unit has fallen flat on its face. I used to see 130 to 140 deer a day in 22 on a 3rd season hunt with 30-35 being bucks. Last year 4th season rifle the most we saw in a single day was 34 and only 5 bucks.

I have helped more people hunt 22 than you can shake a stick at. Sadly it is no where what it was 2 years ago and extremely down compared to the numbers and quality of 5-8 years ago. Compared to last fall 22 was easily way better after the winter of 07/08 than what is was last year.

Given the choices I would still choose 22 over 4, but not by much.

The entire NW corner of Colorado is done for at least a 10 years possibly longer.

It is sadly night and day different than the past.

I would have to agree with elks96 as my wife used 12 points on unit 22 third season last year and his comments are spot on.

thanks guys. Maybe I will just hold them and see what time brings
Listen to Epic Outdoors recent Podcast on Colorado Deer hunting for some perspective on that. Good luck with whatever you decide. You have options for plenty of really solid tags.

Unit 4 4th season would be a really good hunt,there are still some bomber bucks out there,not a lot of people that season, so if you put your time in you should find a dandy.Don't worry too much about the pressure before hand, those big boys will hang on the mountain till they have to go,so don't be afraid to get up in deep snow to look for a toad,you might be surprised at what you see out there.Yes it is kind of doom and gloom in NW Colorado these days but unit 4 4th hmmmmmmmmm!I would love to have that tag!!!Good luck.

I’d probably flip a coin between the two.... Ive grown up in, around and still have 22 in my back yard and much like Elks96 I’ve seen it fall apart. Honestly not much in the NW is exciting and on the up and up as far as mule deer go with the current management practices. I’d almost roll the dice and hunt 4 to see if the grass is greener.
Here’s a unit 22 buck from the good ol days when I was kid.
5AE03275-3C0D-44F2-878C-FFCA3DB2964E.jpeg

I have hunted 22 since the early 1990s. Every single deer season for nearly 30 years. I have logged as much time in the unit as anyone and I am one of those "Locals" who will say it. The unit has fallen flat on its face. I used to see 130 to 140 deer a day in 22 on a 3rd season hunt with 30-35 being bucks. Last year 4th season rifle the most we saw in a single day was 34 and only 5 bucks.

I have helped more people hunt 22 than you can shake a stick at. Sadly it is no where what it was 2 years ago and extremely down compared to the numbers and quality of 5-8 years ago. Compared to last fall 22 was easily way better after the winter of 07/08 than what is was last year.

Given the choices I would still choose 22 over 4, but not by much.

The entire NW corner of Colorado is done for at least a 10 years possibly longer.

It is sadly night and day different than the past.
I hunted unit 22 in '72, the last great year before the roof fell in with that Monster Winter Killer ! Oh to see those bucks then, just incredible, the numbers & quality & size !! It was on Duck Creek as I recall. So sad-- I quit hunting that area in '74, never to return, the hunting was so terrible & not worth the long trip to get there from Texas. They just kept selling licenses & the deer never got a break from hunters or weather it seemed.
Jerry Gold ?? Ft Collins, Co

well we put in for unit 4 4th season. WE did all 3 of us as a group so we will see. If we draw we will have 3 of the 5 non res tags. there should be very little pressure the 4 th season maybe we will get lucky and have great weather.

well we put in for unit 4 4th season. WE did all 3 of us as a group so we will see. If we draw we will have 3 of the 5 non res tags. there should be very little pressure the 4 th season maybe we will get lucky and have great weather.
What was the least amount of points for your group? I hunted 22-4th in 2018. There were elk hunters everywhere. Didnt see any huge bucks. Shot a decent buck on the second to last day.

For some odd reason I’m guessing he put in for 4 4th season. No mention of 22 4th anywhere in his questions, only 22 3rd.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom