.50 CALIBER ELR'S SHOOTING DECENT!!!

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Me & Jr Took Our Remington .50 Caliber Ultimate's Out This Morning & Run Some ELR'S through Both Guns!

They Are Grouping Decent When I Don't YANK the Trigger!:D

Next Time Out We'll try them at 200 & 300 Yards!

Just Figured I'd Pass this info along to Fellow Hunters!

My Gun likes 110 Grains of BH 209!

I Had To Buy Quite a Bunch of ELR's in Both .45 & .50 to even get any of them!

The 280 gr ELRs are shooting well in my 45 cal muzzleloader. Getting just under 2400 fps with 98 gr (by weight) of blackhorn 209.
Here is my 3 shot group from 200 yards Saturday. I've decided to settle on this load for my deer hunt in a couple months.
9W1Lu4lVQ0GKmSjJS16pkQ.jpg

I just received some 50-cal 325 grain ELRs (got them from Midway) in the mail today, and am anxious to see what they'll do in my old Triumph. My rate-of-twist is less than what Powerbelt recommends for these bullets, and the max load of BH209 that I'll dare try will be 85 grains by weight.

I'm already getting pretty good groups with the Barns TEZs, but I like tinkering and just can't resist looking to see what at a sexier ballistic coefficient might do...

Tried them this morning in my Triumph. It was a fun experiment, but I learned that Powerbelt is serious when they say these bullets need a barrel with at least a 1:24 rate-of-twist.

Damn 2400fps that’s cooking...

98 grains by weight of Blackhorn is 140 gr by volume. According to CVA, I can load up to 150 gr by volume but it shoots tighter groups at 140gr. Many muzzleloaders are not designed to handle that type of pressure.

It has more ft lb energy at the muzzle than my 300 win and more energy at 500 yards than the "all powerful" 6.5 Creedmoor.

I only have two concerns about my load.
#1 I will have to be careful about the angle of shot. If I hit an elk in the shoulder, I would worry about the bullet not penetrating. I wouldn't be excited about quartering to me shot on a mule deer buck. With my 300 win mag and 338 Lapua, I wouldn't even hesitate on quartering to me shot on a mule deer. I've heard some bad stories about powerbelt bullets terminal performance. I'm guessing most of these poor terminal performance stories about powerbelt bullets are due to user error (poor shot placement)
#2 Wind drift is terrible with a muzzleloader. In heavy winds I would be concerned about my ability to judge wind drift beyond 200 yards. In ideal conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer at 300 yards with my muzzleloader.

140 Grains of BH 209 has alot of SMACK to it!

We are shooting ELR's through Our .50 Caliber Remingtons & I Think 300 Yards will be a MAX Yardage Shot on Game!

They Do Shoot Way Flatter than the POWERBELT PLATINUMS We were Shooting But I'm Telling you Them PLATINUMS Group as Good as any I've Shot!

And I Agree!

Any Wind/Breeze & Them Bullets are Drifting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom