500 bucks in 4 days.

GLEDEASY

Ok, not exactly what you may think but I did see 10 coyotes while hunting during the general season muzzleloader hunt in UT.

I was able to harvest what I would consider a great buck for the unit on day 3.

I had the goal in mind of not shooting anything that wasn't bigger than my last two bucks (about 140" 4 points).

As the sun went down on the night of day 2 I spotted a decent buck. I had told my wife I would probably shoot him, but didn't think he was all that big and didn't think I would go back in the area.

While trying to sleep I thought a lot about what my wife's response was. She asked why I would not go back to an area where there was a buck I'd consider shooting.

That morning I found myself glassing before first light where I last saw him and in the tree line spotted a white something that I thought could be a face or part of a dead tree. I sat and watched waiting for either the light or movement to confirm one way or another. Sure enough, I noticed an antler coming off that white head and the hunt was on.

I had practiced and felt comfortable shooting my muzzy at 200 yards with a Barnes 250 gr tmz and a volume of 100 gr of 209. I had the buck bedded at 182 yards but decided not to take the shot due to the wind. As I approached the 160 yard distance he and 3 other bucks got up and left.

I began with the what if's concerning had I taken the shot, but continued with the search of relocating the deer.

In the process I saw 2 bucks a mile away. They were headed to a bedding area and I decided to make a play to get a better look.

As I approached the area I saw 2 bucks within 200 yards. One was a good 4 point so I dropped my pack and began my stalk. When I got to 160 yards 2 more bucks appeared and I realized one was the same buck from the morning.

The wind was perfect and I knew they weren't going anywhere. I crawled and slid through the sage brush and oak inching my way closer. I was now 136 yards away when they bedded. The problem was I didn't have much of a clear path to get closer and no open shot through the brush.

An hour went by before I was able to push myself through the brush and find a shooting lane at 130 yards.

When the buck stood to reposition his bed I took the slight quartering shot and off they went over the ridge.

I knew he was hit good as I watched him hobble off with his blood stained coat. Still my thoughts turned to the horror of maybe not finding him.

I followed his tracks and after 20-30 yards the blood stopped. His tracks were still very visable and as I was about half way down the ridge looking at the vast landscape he jumped up 20 yards in front of me and I touched off the last shot.

I was excited to have this buck down. He was much bigger than I thought and seeing that he had an extra on his right side added to the joy as I thought he was just a 4x4.

After the excitement the work began, but knowing I had just killed my biggest buck on public ground and totally DIY made it all worth it.

377962016093017.53.29.jpg

62965img20161003205424.jpg

917120161001120550.jpg

Awesome Buck! I love the scope pic with all the bucks laying there.

What's the story with the title "500 bucks in 4 days"?

Good job on the MZ buck.

Looks like a SWFA Mil-quad reticle. Been thinking of using that setup in UT if/when I finally draw a LE tag. Did you have a drop chart figured out? Seems like it would be pretty easy to stretch things out if you needed to.

>
>Good job on the MZ buck.
>
>
>Looks like a SWFA Mil-quad reticle.
> Been thinking of using
>that setup in UT if/when
>I finally draw a LE
>tag. Did you have
>a drop chart figured out?
> Seems like it would
>be pretty easy to stretch
>things out if you needed
>to.

NF MOAR reticle. Felt perhaps excessive but it was the scope I had laying around.

I did have a drop chart but had only validated it to 200 yards so I wanted to keep it there or less.

Nice buck and cool pics. Thanks for sharing. Congrats.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Wow- that is one cool deer..!! Way to get it done, and thanks for sharing your success... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Great story, excellent buck, catchy title!!!
Huge congratulations on a job well done!
Zeke

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Here's a couple more pics of it on the wall. I think my wife appreciates the help I give in decorating lol.

I think I'm going to have him mounted, but can't fully decide. Would you mount him? He is my best buck to date.

470822016101416.11.14.jpg

18132016101418.07.02.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom