51-9 fishing

callsalot

I head out on Sept 8 and will hunt through the 22nd for archery elk in unit 51. I've already received valuable information from several folks on this site and want to say thanks again. When I was younger
I would have spent every minute of all 14 days hunting but now that I'm in my 50's I may take an afternoon off once or twice or if I get a bull early would like to spend some time fishing the streams and rivers. Does anyone have any advice on where and what flies and spinners would be good to have along.

PS Mighty hunter where are you seeing those elk:)

Thanks in advance and I'll post when I get back from the hunt.

Concentrate on getting an elk first.

That unit's a tough row to hoe, and the fishing will be obvious if you get that far.

get away from the access points and the brookies are not too sophisticated.

Most of the streams I fished and hiked along there would be tough to use a fly rod on.
A spinning rig with some Joe's spinners worked well for me.
I'm told the lake trout fishing is good in some of the lakes, but I didn't get time to try that. I spent all my time looking for elk and trailing behind them following the sighn that showed where they had been days ahead of me.

Good luck on your hunt and hope to hear how it goes.
Beautiful country out there along the Beartooth highway.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Believe me I'm anticipating a hard hunt and will be pushing it hard. However since I've planned on two weeks if I get a bull early or am tired after packing out a bull for my partner and need an afternoon off I thought it would be great to bring a fishin' rod with me. I appreciate the advice.

Good luck to all this fall.

A see through plastic bobber with a grasshopper fly,if you spin fish...good luck...elk loin on the grill with trout alongside...a noble goal and or theory...hth

I can't wait two weeks from this Saturday I'll be making the 17 hours drive from Oregon. I know this is a tough unit but I've been fortunate enough to hunt around much of the west DIY and having a unit with a limited number of tags is very exciting even if its tough hunting. If the opportunity arises a little fishing is icing on the cake.
Thanks.

Millworks and Mighty Hunter, Sorry I missed your PM's just sent some back to you. Somehow never received a notification.

>I head out on Sept 8
>and will hunt through the
>22nd for archery elk in
>unit 51. I've already received
>valuable information from several folks
>on this site and want
>to say thanks again. When
>I was younger
>I would have spent every minute
>of all 14 days hunting
>but now that I'm in
>my 50's I may take
>an afternoon off once or
>twice or if I get
>a bull early would like
>to spend some time fishing
>the streams and rivers. Does
>anyone have any advice on
>where and what flies and
>spinners would be good to
>have along.
>
>PS Mighty hunter where are you
>seeing those elk:)
>
>Thanks in advance and I'll post
>when I get back from
>the hunt.

How was the fishing and hunt?

The hunt was good overall. No giants but we did go two for three on branch bulls and should have went three for three. We wasted a lot of time on the sunlight basin side and found absolutely zero elk and burnt to much of our time there. However once we moved to the opposite side of the unit we were into elk pretty often and managed to get a couple of them. Did very little fishing but did try behind camp a couple of times at midday and caught one fish so next time I'll probably leave the fishing pole at home. One close encounter "under 50 with a boar grizzly" but it turned out OK.

Thanks for checking.

>The hunt was good overall. No
>giants but we did go
>two for three on branch
>bulls and should have went
>three for three. We wasted
>a lot of time on
>the sunlight basin side and
>found absolutely zero elk and
>burnt to much of our
>time there. However once we
>moved to the opposite side
>of the unit we were
>into elk pretty often and
>managed to get a couple
>of them. Did very little
>fishing but did try behind
>camp a couple of times
>at midday and caught one
>fish so next time I'll
>probably leave the fishing pole
>at home. One close encounter
>"under 50 with a boar
>grizzly" but it turned out
>OK.
>
>Thanks for checking.

Sent you a PM callsalot

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom