51 intel

7mms

My partner n I drew unit 51 1st rifle bull tag,was asking hunters in the know of 51 ,where we should start our scouting.Never been hunting in this unit, have heard unit should hide a bull or two.Hunters willing to chime in would much appreciate it.Feel free to p.m.

IF it rains the road turn to Sh!t in a hurry.To much oil in that clay.
one year my 2 axle 20ft trailer got so gummed up the tires(all 4) quit turning they just slide up the road like a ski fishing tailing like crazy. I figured it would just fall off later when it dried NO IT DID NOT. I ended up having to take the tires off and beating the hard clay mud off the inside of the fenders before we could get the wheels to turn.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Similar experience washing the underside of my old toyota after getting home from 51.

Made the mistake of waiting a week or two and about had to chisel it off from inside the wheel wells!

>Similar experience washing the underside of
>my old toyota after getting
>home from 51.
>
>Made the mistake of waiting a
>week or two and about
>had to chisel it off
>from inside the wheel wells!
>

Thanks 4 the headsup,with wet weather happening this year,will probably encounter slick stuff.we will b driving in on two pickups,pulling a popup,n utv on small trailor,chains,towbelts,winches will b onboard.But,back to the hunt,would appreciate tips on where to start our scouting.Hope to be out on unit several times from now till fall.Would appreciate any suggestions on quality of animals ,camping spots,forest roads n such will keep tabs on forum.

>hire a guide

^^ This or just enjoy the process. I drew that unit as my first ever elk hunt (archery) a few years ago and did my "homework" and came away with a cow after calling a bull to 20 yards and blowing the opportunity. They're there... now go find them and have fun!

Resident hunter here. I hunt new units all the time, try on x maps it gives you lots of info that your asking for access points forest roads, water etc.. Good luck on your hunt half the fun is seeing new country.

Bear hunters cruise up and down the Forest roads with their dogs constantly. You?ll hear them howling and I've had a couple morning hunts spoiled. So I'd say scout out areas with limited vehicle access. Fall turkey and Grouse should be open too, so might as well have a shotty reasonably handy too.

E scouting is over,time to hit the hills.Will b looking for roads,trails, water, camping spots,glassing spots and not necessarily animals.Am excited to learn new unit,will post again after a couple of scouts,wish me luck, n thanks to all who chimed in

Lock all and i mean all your ##### up , at camp everything ! I had a whole camp broken down and taken from me on year . The locals from el rito and canjilion are your typical new mexico thugs asses. Carry a side arm at all times . Im telling your from more than one experience . i wont tell you my spots but the area is large so think outside the box. Lots of elk , nothing min terms of true big bulls its a quantity type unit . But trust me lock everyting you own up both at camp in your vehicle . Hunting season is like chrsitmas for the dam locals there

Lock all and i mean all your ##### up , at camp everything ! I had a whole camp broken down and taken from me on year . The locals from el rito and canjilion are your typical new mexico thugs asses. Carry a side arm at all times . Im telling your from more than one experience . i wont tell you my spots but the area is large so think outside the box. Lots of elk , nothing min terms of true big bulls its a quantity type unit . But trust me lock everyting you own up both at camp in your vehicle . Hunting season is like chrsitmas for the dam locals there

+1000

PM sent

WE had trail cam stolen and we had gas cans emptied out BUT the good stuff we had chained up was still there.
The GW even told us to pack a side arm.
I do believe that a lot of those wood cutters are hunters if a deer or elk cross their path.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've heard similar stories (and worse) for years. Funny, I hunt 5b regularly (which is next to 51) and have never had or heard of any problems.

7mms,
Have hunted unit 51 2nd archery on four occasions. Never had any of the problems listed here by others. I did read about a couple of NR hunters that had their elk racks taken from a camp. The authorities felt they had located the individuals but the hunters could not justify closing a private business down in Wisconsin to testify in a NM cort.

The roads can get greasy and worse if there is any snow. You can buy gas and ice in Cebola, and they have a well stocked hardware/grocery store in TA. With all the moisture this winter you should have a decent antler growth. Send me a PM and I will share some info on camp sites and the like.

LaGriz

"The locals from el rito and canjilion are your typical new mexico thugs asses."

Sometimes it just makes you want to lay in wait and catch the SOB's when they think your gone...

It also seems that the wardens are busy working for private land owners keeping trespassers out instead of chasing the hoodlems that terrorize units 51 and 52

>It also seems that the wardens
>are busy working for private
>land owners keeping trespassers out
>instead of chasing the hoodlems
>that terrorize units 51 and
>52

was up there fishing this weekend tons of fisherman not one warden to check lic or limits which i saw several people breaking . there are just not enough officers to keep up . You would think mid summer at one of the more popular fishing areas you would see a warden... Not the case

I'll be up in 51 MB- third week of October, 2020. Been there before and I have e-scouted out enough areas, but haven't yet got boots on the ground this summer. Anyone feel free to PM me. I believe the dynamics have changed since I was last up there because of the fires. In my past experience there I have gone off the main roads some distance and never had issues with skeezeballs taking my stuff or pressure from other hunters. I think both positive results are directly correlated to getting deep into the woods because people are opportunistic. Take away that opportunity and you'll get no trouble.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom