51 update?

G

greenhornhunter

Whats the action like in 51 during the archery hunt? are they talkin over there yet?

It turned on Begining of the week but chilled pretty quickly bulls are coming in but bugles are few an sporadic.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]whats the outlook for the first rifle hunt? trout lakes area? will they still be bugling and running in thier herds or will the bulls be seperated by then? Whats the best tactics for this area spot and stalk, calling sitting water? just looking for some basic info before the hunt thanks.

I went out to call for my dad yesterday, bulls screaming everywhere. Dad had a shot on a 6x6 at 30 yards but missed called him back in and missed again I guess he got excited. Walked about a mile further in and set up again. Within about 5 min of calling a herd of cows and a couple of spikes came. My dad decided since this was the last he could hunt he took the biggest cow he saw. Where ever we hunted we saw alot of sign of a whole lot of elk. Early on my dad passed on alot of cows and smaller bulls for that shot on Saturday. As for rifle once the shooting starts the elk head for the timber I don't know if the bugling will continue to the 1st hunt but it should. Wherever you hunt in 51 head away from the roads before light and wait for the road hunters to chase them to you.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom