52 Caliber Bullets for Colorado

CCity65

In 2008 ( I think) I won a 52 caliber Knight muzzleloader at an RMEF Banquet. In short, it has sat in it's box under my bed since. The reason is I live in Colorado and only hunt in Colorado and have unable to find a realistic supply of bullets. I have now found some through Knight at a cost of 3.40 per bullet. Before shooting this gun, I'd like to know if there is a way to take one of these bullets and have a mold made so that I can cast my own bullets for this gun. Or, if I would be better off shooting only manufactured bullets. I really don't want to spend $3.40 for a bullet and the end result will be I simply won't shoot it and, therefore, won't hunt with it. As I said, I won this years ago and have absolutely no experience with muzzleloaders, hence my questions. Anybody have any advice for me. Or.... anyone looking for a never fired 52 cal Knight muzzleloader with a fancy RMEF medallion on it??? Thank you .

If you shot Sabot bullets there are cheaper options. But until Colorado makes them legal. I guess your stuck shooting lead. But after buying a mold and pouring your own bullets. If it really worth your time ? I mean are you really going to take it to a match and shoot 200 rounds in a afternoon? Once you get it sighted in how many times a year are you going to shoot it ? If your a good shot,maybe once a year. ?

Thanks FrontierGander. Can you give some insight on who could build a mold? Can a quality machine shop make one? Is there companies that specialize in making them?

BigjohnT, you make a great point, one that I’ve thought of myself. And it might be the way I go. I was thinking of putting 30 rounds ($100) through it to shoot it and get comfortable with it and then buy another 30 rounds(another $100) to keep for hunting. At 56 next hunting season 30 rounds could very well last the rest of my hunting career...

NOE, Accurate Molds, MP molds all make great bullet molds. I never really understood why knight made such an odd ball caliber, you just knew bullets were going to be an issue.

Thank you, I’ll look into those. When I posted my original message I was secretly hoping some one who has a a burning desire to own a 52 cal would read this thread and respond, lol.

A friend of mine has the .52 Knight and has bought bullets thru Parker Production. They make an all lead hollow point and a solid. He's shot both with decent accuracy.

In 2008 ( I think) I won a 52 caliber Knight muzzleloader at an RMEF Banquet. In short, it has sat in it's box under my bed since. The reason is I live in Colorado and only hunt in Colorado and have unable to find a realistic supply of bullets. I have now found some through Knight at a cost of 3.40 per bullet. Before shooting this gun, I'd like to know if there is a way to take one of these bullets and have a mold made so that I can cast my own bullets for this gun. Or, if I would be better off shooting only manufactured bullets. I really don't want to spend $3.40 for a bullet and the end result will be I simply won't shoot it and, therefore, won't hunt with it. As I said, I won this years ago and have absolutely no experience with muzzleloaders, hence my questions. Anybody have any advice for me. Or.... anyone looking for a never fired 52 cal Knight muzzleloader with a fancy RMEF medallion on it??? Thank you .
If it were me I would buy this Lee mould, It is a .515.

I would wrap it with two wraps of 9# onion skin paper and size it to .518 it should shoot fantastic.

A friend of mine has the .52 Knight and has bought bullets thru Parker Production. They make an all lead hollow point and a solid. He's shot both with decent accuracy.

Maybe so, but at $1.70 to $2 per bullet, who needs that!

If you went to sight it in and only shoot it when you are hunting, maybe it’s not that bad. But I like to shoot just to shoot, and can’t see spending that much to do it. Ebay knocks it down to ONLY $1.60 per bullet

Last edited:
If you plan to shoot a lot and want a mold, here's a post on modernmuzzleloader dated - Dec 14, 2016
"I ordered the 52-510m mould from accuratemoulds my 52 loves them they cost me next to nothing to make, and shoot minute of prairie dog out to 100 yards with the stock open sights on the rifle. Much cheaper in the long run and I'll always have bullets even if knight folds. :yeah:"

Thank you, I’ll look into those. When I posted my original message I was secretly hoping some one who has a a burning desire to own a 52 cal would read this thread and respond, lol.
Just reading this older thread and wondering if you still have that 52? I’m kicking around the thought of picking one up myself. They have a sale going n at the knight dealer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom