52 Years Ago, where were you?

kilowatt

Well a lot of you were not even born yet and some others were running around in diapers filled with poop.

I was standing in line at Fort Ord, CA getting new clothing for the next 3 years....yea my first day in the US Army. In short order next was getting a military haircut and not to my style either. Buzz cut no choices.

What a wake up that was but had to make it through Basic Training and then out of there. Looking back now was probably the best thing I could have done at the time and never regretted even now 52 years later.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Feb. 1964, I was probably trying to find a record store that carried the Beatles 1st album, Meet The Beatles.

Or.... Brant hunting as the season ended around the 20th of February back then.

Or....steelhead fishing if the rivers were fishable.

Or....running my trap line behind our house.

Or....at school wasting time as I was a sophomore in high school.

I was just born. I was one of those kids that grew up in a time of piece. No wars until I was old enough that they didn't want me. My Dad was in the Army. and a Merchant Marine earlier. Thanks for fighting for our liberties !

Kilo, I was a Jr. in high school. It will be another year, 1965 when I finished high school and joined the Army at age 17, turned 18 one month after joining.
Then I had my turn in line for that buzz cut at Ft. Ord and basic training. My Father had to sign for me to join since I was not 18, and my Mother gave him hell for doing it. He knew I would just wait another month and join at 18 anyway. I do not regret it either. Used the G.I. bill and CAL-Vet bill to buy my first two homes and the G.I. bill to get my college degree.

RELH

I wasn't even a wet dream yet. Love to here the stories though so keep telling.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I was just a little guy and 1964 was the year I ran into a mailbox playing football in the street braking my front tooth in half and the year I rode my stingray into a phone pole knocking myself out. Thanks for serving our country.

I was 10 years old and probably counting the days until i got my first buck back from the taxidermist.

Atta boy Kilo, thanks much for your service!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Feb. 1964, I was probably trying
>to find a record store
>that carried the Beatles 1st
>album, Meet The Beatles.
>
>Or.... Brant hunting as the season
>ended around the 20th of
>February back then.
>
>Or....steelhead fishing if the rivers were
>fishable.
>
>Or....running my trap line behind our
>house.
>
>Or....at school wasting time as I
>was a sophomore in high
>school.
I remember looking at those Beatles trading cards and Ringo Star with those good looking girls.

I was 4 years old. Fort Collins, Colorado was still a cool little town.

Thanks for your service, Brian. And everybody else who has served, you too.

A sophomore in HS like Eel. Playing football, baseball, hay hauling and unloading boxcars of feed. Four years later was in country around Da Nang. Had to go to Ft Bragg NC because Fort Ord was full. Yeah, I'm a transplant from SoCal to SoUT but don't tell anyone.

That would put me at 8 years old. I was probably riding around on my Schwinn "Sting Ray" bicycle, banana seat and all.
Ohh....those were the days!

arrowone4me.....Did you ever get out to China Beach there in Danang while up there? The old China Beach area has been leveled and rebuilt and here is a picture of a 5 Star Resort there now. I will be going back this coming NOV for a 2 week visit both there and old Saigon.

2879southendofchinabeachresort.jpg

9510chinabeach.jpg

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-16 AT 08:41AM (MST)[p]Take precautions from the nasty flu viruses Asia loves to spawn. I just returned from my wedding in China. My third visit and third case of flu from hell. Curious if One will kill me before I build up any immunity. During those 3 years I only got sick once while here in US. I was only 4 in 1963 so I missed Nam.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/2858image.jpeg

No Kilowatt, Our rear area was moved from ChuLai to DaNang shortly before I left. I was hardly ever in the rear area except to go on R&R once and home. Always out laying in a hole somewhere. My only claim to fame is Rocky Blier of Steelers fame who was hit when I left to go home. I was lucky and couldn't imagine going back. Good luck on your trip.

Kilo,
Thank you for your service my dad comes from a family of 6 boys who all served of which 5 retired military including my dad so I know the sacrifice the men and families endure while serving.

Just last month I went to fort sill Ok. To see my youngest Daughter graduate boot camp and I can't express the pride I felt seeing her accomplish her dreams. She is currently in Virginia for her training and I talked to her this morning and she said she loves it. Oh and i wouldn't be born for 3 more years 52 years ago.

Second grade in a chatholic School reading playboy books. LOL. Glad they had us reading young..................BULL!

>Well a lot of you were
>not even born yet and
>some others were running around
>in diapers filled with poop.
>
>
>I was standing in line at
>Fort Ord, CA getting new
>clothing for the next 3
>years....yea my first day in
>the US Army. In
>short order next was getting
>a military haircut and not
>to my style either.
>Buzz cut no choices.
>
>What a wake up that was
>but had to make it
>through Basic Training and then
>out of there. Looking
>back now was probably the
>best thing I could have
>done at the time and
>never regretted even now 52
>years later.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

You mean in line for the Civil War!!!!

Kidding aside thank you all for your service

nfh.....actually it was the Black Hawk Indian War. True, look in the history books and you will see that the Clary Gang fought right along side with Old Honest Abe in the mid 1850's back then.

Brian

I was in 3rd grade Catholic schooling----52 years ago....

Lots of life for sure Brian over that time frame till today.

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom