54 type 1 Bull Anyone?

Trail

Over the years I've helped many friends on their hunts but never seem to have luck getting a tag myself. Finally with max points and a lot of luck I drew a 54 tag. This is a big deal to me and I want to make the most of it. I have a friend in the area and know others that have hunted part of it during the archery season. So I'm not going into this blind but as a NR my scouting trips will be limited. I think the info I have already could equal success but the excitement of drawing the tag it's all I can think about. Looking for info, advice or stories from anyone that has hunted it recently.

I've never hunted it but I researched it some.

From what I've been told scouting isn't going to do you much good. it's a migration hunt and your goal is to find the bull you're after before someone else does or he gets to private land.

Sounds like quite a bit of driving and glassing, a quad might do you some good too . they also said you can find some pretty nice bulls if everything lines up.

Stay thirsty my friends

440---With the change in unit boundaries making unit 54 huge and dividing it into north and south with the type 1 and 2 tags, wouldn't you now no longer call it a migratory type hunt, epsecially since they both open on 10/1?

That could be. I still wonder if the best hunting won't be on the migration . you're going to see bulls you'd never see early on without packing in, some out of the park maybe as well.

Stay thirsty my friends

>If you want to kill a
>really big bull in 54,
>it is truly a migratory
>last season hunt. Trust me
>on this.

***I was hoping you'd chime in with your expertise in that area! I have no idea how late the seasons will go now with the boundary changes they made, but when do you figure the migration starts or does it vary that much year to year depending on when the heavy snows hit up higher? I would think if it's the latter that a resident like yourslef would have a lot better chance of picking the right time to go compared to a NR who has to plan way ahead and is sort of praying he hits it right. Your take on it please to help the OP out!

I was told that the season for the rifle hunts in what was the old Area 54 will be October and November. The 54-1 includes that area and what was 65. There are resident and migratory elk in this new unit. If you want to kill a really large bull, I would hunt it in November. Of course, there are always exceptions. I sent the OP a pm long before posting on his original request for information.

mh

I was living in Cody back in the early 90's when Merwin Martin killed that 412 bull in 54. I think it was third biggest typical in the state at the time. Even then 54 was a hard tag to draw and he pulled it twice in three years or three times in four years. Can't remember, but he was damn lucky...

That big bull merwin got came out of sunlight. Funny story about that bull he shot the smaller one. I know the guy that located those bulls on that late season hunt..

Area 54 will be a good late season hunt. Let the other units got through the hunting season those elk will filter into area 54 from other surrounding areas. The old unit 65 is easy access but most those big bulls hang in private. 2 Dot ranch just bought another good chunk of land on the backside of heart mountain. also area 65 use to have a ton of cow hunters and those elk move 10 miles way to quick. ITs pretty amazing to see how fast and far they move.

I remember years ago Bald Ridge use to hold several good bulls in the late season by the hundreds. Now its just a handful.

If possible horses will be your best friend. I had the late season 121 tag last year which is part of 54 this year and you to be willing to ride in a few miles. I ride in about 8-10 miles. Seen hundreds of elk and lot of good bulls. I was always a draw away from the elk or I was fighting shooting light. a guy can cover a lot of ground with horses.

I also drew a 54-1 tag. Trail and I are two of the five NR tags that were issued. Trail and I have previously PM'd back and forth.
I would also appreciate any advice from MH, NFH or anyone else that might have any experience on this hunt.

My oldest son is going to school at MSU in Bozeman, MT and we are hoping that he can drive down on weekends and thanksgiving break to join me.

I was planning to hunt the last week of archery / first week of rifle and then return the last two weeks of November. Is that a good plan?

Sounds like a good plan SDB! Hard to believe that in those two big 54 units that they issued so few tags. I hope both of you are able to take advantage of your tags and get some big ones.

>I also drew a 54-1 tag.
> Trail and I are
>two of the five NR
>tags that were issued. Trail
>and I have previously PM'd
>back and forth.
>I would also appreciate any advice
>from MH, NFH or anyone
>else that might have any
>experience on this hunt.
>
>My oldest son is going to
>school at MSU in Bozeman,
>MT and we are hoping
>that he can drive down
>on weekends and thanksgiving break
>to join me.
>
>I was planning to hunt the
>last week of archery /
>first week of rifle and
>then return the last two
>weeks of November. Is
>that a good plan?

Sounds like a decent plan. Best time to go in November I think is after a big storm or slightly before. Those elk know when the big storm comes. They start to move. For archery its a hit/miss. It can be to hot and just a waste. Or it can be rainy and good bugles or a nasty snow storm that makes it not worth while. Bowhunting this country is tough. The bulls are very quiet. Then waiting to the end of September the bulls will be talked out from other hunters. But just cause you don't hear any bugles a guy has to sit tight. These elk are so smart about being quiet they will come in quiet and next thing you know you got a bull 50 yards away. I have learned this twice now the hard way.

The first week rifle is a good plan. With everyone heading out opening day elk could get pushed to ya. After a bunch of gun shots some elk choose to sit tight in an area.

It's a long ways out but I've been trying to put together a plan. I'm looking at the first week of October. That's the time I can get the most help from friends and possibly horses. My experience in Utah hunting elk in October has been great some of the best rut activity and the bulls are still visible. Get into November it gets tough finding them. They are either solo or in small bachelor groups. The migration is something that I would like to experience. Watched a few videos and was amazed. If you had one week to hunt when would it be? Do grizzly and wolf encounters increase or decrease later in the hunt?

November is going to be the best hunt. Back in the day a guy could watch 100's and 100's up to thousand elk migrate in the sunlight basin and now not so much. Still a lot of good bulls out there though.

Wolf counters are year around. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a wolf tag.
the grizzlies slow down come November but if a guy gets an elk on the ground always check your back. A gut pile is a easy meal for those bears. These bears are smart. They hear gun shots they know something is going to be available to eat.

nfh+1

I was at Hogan Reservoir yesterday afternoon to see if the ice was out. I could see one large group of elk on the ridge to the west.

mh

Thanks for the advice NFH and MH.
I plan to dedicate all of my "out of state hunting time" to this one hunt and just apply for points on the rest of my applicitions this year.

I have hunted elk during the rut every year for the past 25 years. It would be hard for me to sit out during this year's rut. But if it is truely better opportunity during November then maybe I should hold off and hunt the last 3 weeks of November instead. In your opinions what would you recommend:

Option #1 - the last three weeks of November; or
Option #2 - the last week of archery/first week of rifle and then return again the last two weeks of rifle?

I have considered the additiaonl wolf tag already. Per my research elk unit 54 is part of wolf unit 1. Last year there was a quota of only 2 and a season start date of October 1st. Do you think the quota will be met by the end of October?

>nfh+1
>
>I was at Hogan Reservoir yesterday
>afternoon to see if the
>ice was out. I could
>see one large group of
>elk on the ridge to
>the west.
>
>mh

when I was out at work last week the Game and Fish was on the HooDoo Pallet 2 and on pitchfork chasing hundreds of elk. and chasing them mile after mile. The poor elk calve in less than 2 months. I was confused what they were doing.

For the wolf tag its a you never situation. you get a tag you may not see one. You don't get a tag and you see a big pack.

It would be interesting to find out what they were doing.
Seems weird since it's illegal for others to do that!
Zeke

>It would be interesting to find
>out what they were doing.
>
>Seems weird since it's illegal for
>others to do that!
>Zeke

I think it would be a lot of stress on the cows. the only thing I could think of is that they were pushing the elk off the ranches back up to the mountain. The show went on for over 3 hours.

Lucky Tag
I see you put this thread back to the top. Did you hunt the unit?

I just got back from hunting it for 6 days 10/4 - 10/9. Had planned to hunt until 10/12 but pulled out early. Only saw one elk in those 6 days and no "fresh" sign. Very hot and full moon didn't help with elk movement.
Saw a lot of 2 - 4 week old sign up on Pat O'Hara ridge from the rut this year (LOTS of freshly rubbed trees) but no fresh droppings or tracks. Saw a lot of old human and horse tracks as well. I think the archery and early cow hunters pushed them down to private or to the west our of the unit.
Was also a little disappointed with the amount of "other" activity in the woods - firewood cutting, trail riders, etc.
Plan to head back out the last two weeks of November again. hoping the snow will push the elk back into the unit.

Also, was disappointed that theree was no public access to Rattlesnake Mountain (without crossing a very deep canyon). the sign at the locked gat on Monument road was confusion as to whether or not you could walk down the road across private. Called BLM office and talked to a nice lady there but she said only access was across private (walking/horses weren't allowed like the sign on the gate indicated). I tried calling both ranches and nobody picked up the phone.
All the maps I looked at it appeared this was a county road. My fault for not verifying ahead of time.

I was just wondering how everyone did.

I thought this hunt would be great with an Oct 1 opener.

I'm still sitting on max elk points and don't know what to do with them.

Sorry for bringing this old post back to the top, but I always hate it when people ask for help on here and then after the hunt they are never heard from again.

I wanted to make one last post to thank all of those who helped me with this hunt. I would especially like to publicly thank ?delmag1942? and ?mightyhunter?. Delmag has helped me with some other hunts and not only gave me some info for this hunt, but also mailed me his maps from when he previously hunted this unit. Mightyhunter, who lives in the unit, exchanged numerous emails with information about the unit and even offered me the use of his game cart and raft to help get an animal out. He even drove out a few times to his favorite glassing spots to see if he could find a good bull for me. I was lucky enough to meet him in person and thank him and his wife with dinner in Cody one night during my hunt. Thanks David and David!!!!

As for the hunt. I was fortunate to get to hunt 16 days. I hunted 5.5 days in early October with little luck. I returned to the unit and hunted the 10.5 days just prior to Thanksgiving. The weather wasn?t very cooperative. Even though they received a good snowfall just prior to my second arrival, the wind blew strong all week and the elk stayed pretty tight. By about the 4th day most of the snow had either melted or blown away in any open meadow or clearing leaving good access to feed for the elk. Although the local elk migrated down to their wintering area, I don't think the elk farther west really migrated into the unit before the close of the season.

I didn't see many elk which was a little disappointing, but that is part of hunting. I did see more elk on my second trip and passed on a few bulls in the 300 ? 320 class range but was holding out for 350 or better. I think this tag deserves holding out for that upper caliber bull.
Even though I didn't harvest a bull on this hunt, I had a great time and finally got to go on a late season migration hunt that I had dreamed about for many years.

That seems to happen quite a bit SDB and it's nice to see you come back on here with your post and I have to say that I'm not at all surprised that you came back here and made it! I even had a guy come out from PA several years ago where I hunt, met him out there, and then took him out several times over three days. He filled every tag he had and went home with several coolers full of deer and antelope mea, never offered me any and never even gave me a thank you before he left or after he got back home. It takes all kinds and I guess you just have to go on with life and figure there are many who just have that mememe mentality! I think most of the regulars on this and several other sites we're on aren't like that though and are a great bunch.

Big plus one TG!
Sdb seems like a class-act
Zeke
( I've been following this thread with interest)

SDB aka Brian hunted very hard in an attempt to take something exceptional. Many hunters are trophy hunters for a day or two. Brian held out for his entire hunt,while dealing with some horrible weather. There are some tremendous bulls that migrate into 54 during late November. I have seen them and know where they hang out. For some reason those bulls didn't show during the late season. I was able to glass up some decent bulls in the unit, but never saw anything exceptional. Brian is an great hunter and a good guy. Thanks for dinner.

mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom