5B North Elk Archery

shedneck

I know this was discussed before, but I think we lost the thread with the new forum update. Anyways, a buddy and I are in for 5BN with 13 points. I think that with the new dates it’s going to get some attention from at least a couple people with more than 13. Thoughts? Anyone been in this unit September 18 - October 1? Those are dream dates for Nevada bulls - I assume it’s just as good down there. We recognize that some people think there are better units to spend those points on, but we just want to enjoy hearing and seeing rutting bulls and have a decent opportunity at a mature bull. Good luck to everyone in the draw.

I think the dates sound good but somewhere like unit 27 has bigger bulls and canyons big enough to get lost in seems worth a few more years to wait........

I think the dates sound good but somewhere like unit 27 has bigger bulls and canyons big enough to get lost in seems worth a few more years to wait........
You are probably right, but a lot can happen in a few years. I guess if bigger bulls is not necessarily the focus, it’s tough to justify, at least for me, waiting.

In my opinion I would wait for a unit as Point creep is around 1pt per year in the top ~10 units for Non-residents. Different story for residents. Check accurate sites like Toprut and you will see the creep. Unit 10 jumped 2 points last year for Non residents.

The later dates on 5B should be great IMO.

5BN has a lot of people focused on several main areas. A lot of thick cedar country that it tough to hunt. Some decent bulls but there is a lot of pressure and people who think they are Wayne Carlton out there with their hoochie mamas that need to be hit every 3 seconds. Roughest roads in the state. Lava type boulders in the roads. They usually get hit hard with monsoons and the roads get sloppy. The odds will go down this year with the better dates. I personally wouldn't use 13 points on it. You can dig up a good bull in the unit, but they are tough to get a good shot off in the thick cedars where you can only see 10 yards. Id look at 3C personally.

5BN has a lot of people focused on several main areas. A lot of thick cedar country that it tough to hunt. Some decent bulls but there is a lot of pressure and people who think they are Wayne Carlton out there with their hoochie mamas that need to be hit every 3 seconds. Roughest roads in the state. Lava type boulders in the roads. They usually get hit hard with monsoons and the roads get sloppy. The odds will go down this year with the better dates. I personally wouldn't use 13 points on it. You can dig up a good bull in the unit, but they are tough to get a good shot off in the thick cedars where you can only see 10 yards. Id look at 3C personally.

I imagine 3C would be a great hunt, but that’s a 19 point unit. We could hit a random tag, but the odds are slim. Thank you for sharing your opinion - much appreciated.

I think you are approaching it wisely-you want to hunt and likely have the points to draw 5BN so go for it! Who knows what the later dates will do to draw odds but should make for a great hunt. Good luck in the draw-if you do hunt it I would love to hear of your experiences. I want to burn some points for me and my son on a “mid-tier” AZ unit in the near future.

Thank you. I’m not sure 13 will do it, but if it does I would be happy to let you know about how it goes.

You can enjoy a great hunt in 5B north during that time frame. My son drew an early muzzleloader bull tag several years ago during the same date range and had a fantastic hunt. We were into bugling bulls every day. We saw 3 bulls that were bigger (one much bigger) than the 7x6 bull that he killed. Here is his 5BN bull.

0B25E7DD-54B8-4101-902E-D78C35CFB86A.jpeg

Thank you for sharing - beautiful bull. We stuck in there with 27 first choice and 5bn second choice with 13 points. I know there was a guy in another forum that you replied to as well who was considering 5bn with 16 points. That would definitely slam our odds pretty good if he put in for 5bn. He kind of went MIA since his post - would love to know what he decided.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom