6.5-06

I had one for a while. Essentially a long action 6.5-284. At the time, 25-06 brass was easy to get. So making brass was no problem. It did great with the 130 grain accubond.

Excellent cartridge. Easy to form brass, mild recoil, easy loading. It’s a great choice especially if you handload.

I have a Remington 700 with a Brux barrel, little heavier barrel but man is it a pussycat to shoot and easy to load for. 06 brass is pretty easy to come buy and with the array of 6.5 bullets, the options are unlimited. I always wanted another .257 Weatherby or a 264 Win mag but I feel for a 500 yard hunting rifle, the 6.5-06 is more practical.

Thanks for the input. My father in law has a Model 700 280Rem that is being rechambered to a 6.5-06. We have 100 rounds of 6.5-06 A-Square brass to start loading with once he gets the gun back. Should be fun to tinker with.

I have a 6-06 I like it allot for deer and antelope shot an axis deer with it too
We called 'em 24-06's back in the day. I never built one but a couple buddies did. (I had a 25-06 and figured it close enough) Worked great, just like yours. Another bud shot a 240 Wby which is about the same performance but with the crazy Wby shaped case. Both were way cool in my book.

Zeke

We called 'em 24-06's back in the day. I never built one but a couple buddies did. (I had a 25-06 and figured it close enough) Worked great, just like yours. Another bud shot a 240 Wby which is about the same performance but with the crazy Wby shaped case. Both were way cool in my book.

Zeke

I still have a hard on for the .257 Weatherby. Such a sweet looking case and man does it burn the powder. Practical....no. But do I want another one.......yes ?

The 6.5-06 is in my opinion a smaller bore version of the 280 AI. It just works. Works really well and really efficient.

I still have a hard on for the .257 Weatherby. Such a sweet looking case and man does it burn the powder. Practical....no. But do I want another one.......yes ?

The 6.5-06 is in my opinion a smaller bore version of the 280 AI. It just works. Works really well and really efficient.
Practical? We only need one rifle to be practical but what fun would that be? ;)
Ya, the 257 Wby is a pretty wonderful round, IMHO

So many cool cartridges, so little time.
Zeke

I tried to talk him into just rechambering to a 280AI, but he's getting older and wanted something with a little less recoil.

It’s a good cartridge, I’ve owned a couple. But it’s kind of pointless today with the ballistically equals in 6.5-284 and 6.5 PRC and the fact you can get stamped quality brass makes the 6.5-06 not worth the trouble of a wildcat IMO.

It’s a good cartridge, I’ve owned a couple. But it’s kind of pointless today with the ballistically equals in 6.5-284 and 6.5 PRC and the fact you can get stamped quality brass makes the 6.5-06 not worth the trouble of a wildcat IMO.
6.5-06 is not a wildcat anymore and hasn't been since 1997, that is when it was standardized by SAAMI. Weatherby and A-Square have both chambered it. "The fact that you can get stamped quality brass in the PRC?" That hasn't been the case for most folks the past couple years. 30-06 brass is everywhere and cheap. Neck it down and voila.

If you get bored with it, Ackley it.:)

Last edited:
6.5-06 is not a wildcat anymore and hasn't been since 1997, that is when it was standardized by SAAMI. Weatherby and A-Square have both chambered it. "The fact that you can get stamped quality brass in the PRC?" That hasn't been the case for most folks the past couple years. 30-06 brass is everywhere and cheap. Neck it down and voila.

If you get bored with it, Ackley it.:)
If your going to go that route just go 6.5-280AI. Buy 280AI brass neck it down and viola!

If your going to go that route just go 6.5-280AI. Buy 280AI brass neck it down and viola!
I've got thousands of pieces of '06 brass. No way am I going back to step one and buying a 1,000 pieces or more of .280 ackley brass. Still deciding on doing it as a 6.5-06 Ackley. I currently have two ackleys and really love them a .30-06 Ackley and .375H&H Ackley.

I've got thousands of pieces of '06 brass. No way am I going back to step one and buying a 1,000 pieces or more of .280 ackley brass. Still deciding on doing it as a 6.5-06 Ackley. I currently have two ackleys and really love them a .30-06 Ackley and .375H&H Ackley.
That's the exact reason that I built a 22-250AI instead of the sister 22 Creedmoor. I had 400 pieces of new 22-250 which is perfectly good brass so I build a rifle around them.
Absolutely no flies on the 6'5-06AI in my book! You have the brass!

Zeke

Completely understand. I’ve had ackley cartridges before. In the end I went back to standard. Fire forming and the 100FPS or so gain just wasn’t worth it in the end for me. I also see the rifle loonie aspect and cool factor of an Ackley as well.

If you do go the 6.5-06 route best to do 26 in barrel, 24 minimum IMO. Also if you can get it throated a long to give plenty of room for 140 and larger bullets. First one I had I had it built at “SAMMI” specs and it hamstring it a bit. I would build pressure and velocity low about 2800. Second one I built I throated long and could get 2950-3000fps with 140’s. It a solid performer just not my choice for todays offering. But component availability is a huge deal now a days

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom