6.5-284?

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
What velocities are you getting with hand-loads?
I'm currently getting 2770 with 140 Bergers and H4350.

I had some factory HSM with same bullet and they chrono'ed at 2900+ fps
I'm showing zero signs of pressure but good accuracy. They are at max load per bergers manual.

Traditional >>>------->

The group below in the why we reload thread was a 6.5x284.
46.5 gr of H4831sc, Hornady 143 ELD-X, 2735 FPS. It is on the slow side but was the best groups.
Most of my guns seem to shoot better as the velocity increases but this one is just the opposite, I could shoot 4 grains more with no pressure....but the groups just got worse.

I have had really good luck with the Hodgdon 4831SC and the 140gn Berger VLD. Accuracy is consistently in the sub .5 MOA and velocity is about 2950. I also read a lot of really good stuff about RE-17 for this round to get a little more velocity. I know several guys that run Retumbo and push the cartridge to the extreme limits, but its not something that I like to do myself. I prefer to stay on the safe side of reloading and shooting. Good luck finding a load that makes you happy and works well for you.

I wanted to try 4831sc but I'm one of the lucky few that has a ton of H4350 powder. It's worked awesome in my 260, 6.5 x 47 Lapua and 6.5x55 Swede.

I was hoping for a bit more speed but I'll take accuracy any day over speed.

Traditional >>>------->

I run Retumbo in mine with 140 VLDs and get excellent accuracy at 2975 fps with zero pressure signs at all .

Retumbo is very consistent, temperature stable and in my experience I couldn't get a 6.5x284 case to hold enough of it to generate excessive pressure.

As always take my opinion with a grain of salt and approach any new reloading components with caution.

I may try some retumbo. I have a bunch of it too.

Where did you get the load data? I don't have my Berger manual....was it in the Berger manual?

Traditional >>>------->

The Retumbo load was recommended by a member of another forum . It works great in a 26" barrel with 140's. Most people seem to find the sweet spot between 55.5 and 58 grains, usually ends up between 2950-3000 FPS.

>The Retumbo load was recommended by
>a member of another forum
>. It works great in
>a 26" barrel with 140's.
>Most people seem to find
>the sweet spot between 55.5
>and 58 grains, usually ends
>up between 2950-3000 FPS.

Thanks!

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-18 AT 01:02PM (MST)[p]I've tried four or five powders and three different bullets in mine. I've probably shot around 1000 rounds dinking around finding my favorite powder, primer and bullet combo.

Retumbo was the fastest, but accuracy was medium. I settled on H1000 and I average 3012 FPS with the Hornady 143 ELDX without getting pressure and staying within the manuals for max loads. H4831sc was also really accurate, but the speeds with 2750 range in my rifle. R22 was also pretty good and in the 2900s speed wise.

If you have a 26 barrel and are able to load the bullets long COAL, then retumbo will be your speed king. h1000 was the second fastest for me, but the most accurate with very low Standard Deviation and Extreme Spreads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom