6.5/300 Weatherby

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
Who has one? What has your experience been getting it to shoot? Favorite load or bullet? Accuracy?

Asking because my son bought one and has been trying to get it to shoot. He has shot about 40 rounds of factory and handloads so far.

In my experience with cartridges that are greatly overbore like that I tend to start with a very slow powder and heavy bullets.
What has your son been loading?

With shortages of components we have tried 120 grain bullets up to 130 grain bullets so far. Next trial will probably be 140 grain bullets. We have only used Hodgdon US869 powder so far.

US869 is a good choice. Also don’t overlook RL33 if you can find it.
I bet the 140s will show some better results.

N570 would also be good, if you can find it. IMO, the 6.5-300 is too much of a good thing, don't' spend too much time on load development or you'll be re-barreling before you know it.

For factory ammo mine really likes the 127 lrx. I get good accuracy (1.5" at 250 yards) with rl26 and speer 140 grain gold dot but I wish they were a little faster, only 3050 fps. I'm still working on loads for mine.

Me and my buddy both shoot mark V he reloads I don’t he gets great groups with the 142 gr accubond lr with US869

I not sure which model your son has I shoot an accumark and my buddy shoots the weather mark his wouldn’t shoot factory loads and swears it’s cause the barrel on the two are different quality ??‍♂️

I personally don’t own one... never will but I have reloaded for multiple buddies with them. 84.5 to 85 grains of US866 with a 147 eldm was the sweet spot for both the ones I tinkered with.

Coloradoboy

My son got one of the Mark V ultra light rifles with the light weight fluted barrel with muzzle break and tan colored synthetic stock.
He is waiting on some new scope mounts to come in to attempt to try and mount his Ziess scope a bit lower.
We are looking for 140 to 150 grain bullets and hoping some show up somewhere soon ?

If you can get your hands on them, the 156 Berger EOL or 153.5 hybrids would be the best option for barrel life and performance. However the weatherby case design is difficult to work with when dealing with the long 6.5 bullets because you have to seat the bullet so deep in order for them to chamber. Typically you’ll see better results with hybrid/match bullets because they are less set depth sensitive.

Coloradoboy

I seen... and up in the air if you can get them..but Weatherby will be loading 156 elite hunters or so it says on their site
I hunted some factory loads down and she shoots minute of animal ...went broke doing it but I’m set ? 7 boxes my kid had to drink flour and water for milk hahahah kidding...she’s not for the weak at heart
Weatherbys are such d.$&$ swingers like jacked trucks but you find what they love and
?????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom