6.5 cal. 124 g Hammer Bullets

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
Has anyone tried the 6.5 124g. Hammer Bullets in either a Creedmoor or a 6.5x284?
I'm looking for load suggestions, perhaps with RL 23 or RL 26.

I've used them in a 6.5 WSM , great bullet performance for me. Call Steve and he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

I have talked to Steve, but maybe I'll ask him more specifically about Allient Powders. I am also playing with the 177g Hammers in my 28 Nosler with some impressive groups so far. I'm mostly interested in load experience and data with RL 23 and 26.

I don't have a 6.5 so no help there. I do have some RL-26 that I hope rockets the 196 HH out of my RUM. Like I said, some guys on HT using those powders. I'll look and send you some links if I can. mtmuley

Steve has said they reached a max load in a 6.5 PRC with the 124's and 60 grains of RL26. I will be starting some load development on my PRC with the 124 Hammers soon and I plan on starting around 56 grains and working my way up. I think the case capacity of the 284 and PRC are very close so this should be a rough starting point for you.

Yeh, Steve suggested starting with 55g of RL26 and work up from there. I think 60g would really be smokin, but I got some 3100fps with 55.5 g and a 142g LRAB. So pretty excited to work it up.
Any thoughts about RL 23 from anyone?

I would give retumbo or h1000 a try in the 6.5x284. I’m a big fan of temperature stable powders. RL 26 will produce good velocities but you will see your velocities deviate considerably from hot/warm to cold temps. I have found h1000 to be extremely consistent for me in keeping my ES in the 8 to 10 FPS ball park.

I have no first hand experience with RL 23 but have heard others talk about hoy "dirty" of a powder it is? Coloradoboy, how much velocity was lost when switching to H1000 vs RL 26?

Can’t say because I haven’t bothered running rl26 through it. I can push the 156 Berger EOL in the 2900 to 2950 range and the 140s at 3000 to 3050 with h1000 or retumbo out of the 6.5x284 on average.

I would give retumbo or h1000 a try in the 6.5x284. I’m a big fan of temperature stable powders. RL 26 will produce good velocities but you will see your velocities deviate considerably from hot/warm to cold temps. I have found h1000 to be extremely consistent for me in keeping my ES in the 8 to 10 FPS ball park.

Have you personally tested RL 26 for temp sensitivity in any cartridge? And if you have did the velocity follow the temp or did it do the opposite of what the temp did?

I
Can’t say because I haven’t bothered running rl26 through it. I can push the 156 Berger EOL in the 2900 to 2950 range and the 140s at 3000 to 3050 with h1000 or retumbo out of the 6.5x284 on average.
If you haven't used RL-26, how do you know it isn't stable? mtmuley

Ran it in my 300win and experienced some big spreads in velocities compared to H1000. Ran r16 in the 6.5x47 and experienced similar results. It seems pretty common knowledge amongst reloaders that RL powder lines struggle with temperature stability versus Hodgon extreme lines.

Last edited:
H1000 and RL23 are magnum powders....they suitable for the 6.5s?

I've tried RL15 in the 6.5 CM and accuracy was OK but far better with H4350.

Ran it in my 300win and experienced some big spreads in velocities compared to H1000. Ran r16 in the 6.5x47 and experienced similar results. It seems pretty common knowledge amongst reloaders that RL powder lines struggle with temperature stability versus Hodgon extreme lines.
Hmmmm. Lots of research says RL-26 is comparable to H1000 as far as sensitivity. Whatever, I'm gonna push it in my RUM and others. I've used the notoriously sensitive RL-25 for 20 years without issue. Common knowledge here. Funny how things work. mtmuley

The only temp related comments I've heard on RL-26 was a few folks seeing some minor changes above 80 degrees.

Cboy,
I don't have any H1000 to try, but I do have a can of Retumbo.
What would you recommend for a good start load for my 6.5x284 and the 124s? I may give it a whirl as well.

Cboy,
I don't have any H1000 to try, but I do have a can of Retumbo.
What would you recommend for a good start load for my 6.5x284 and the 124s? I may give it a whirl as well.
I would shoot heavier bullets in the 6.5x284 to begin with... but with 124s I’d start at the 57 grain mark and start walking it .5 grains at a time until you find the node, I’ve never messed with anything lighter than a 140 grain Bullet in a 6.5x284. The 124s would be a better fit for something along the lines of a 6.5 creedmoor in my opinion.

Last edited:
124s and Retumbo will likely be a lackluster combination. When I had my 6.5×284 built on a long action I used Retumbo exclusively with 140s and ran out of room in the case before I ever had any pressure signs. If you can get your hands on some H4350 or H4831 it would be a much better place to start . I've got 8 lbs of H4831 you can have if you want to drive to SW Idaho and pick it up.

124s and Retumbo will likely be a lackluster combination. When I had my 6.5×284 built on a long action I used Retumbo exclusively with 140s and ran out of room in the case before I ever had any pressure signs. If you can get your hands on some H4350 or H4831 it would be a much better place to start . I've got 8 lbs of H4831 you can have if you want to drive to SW Idaho and pick it up.
Very good point.

I would shoot heavier bullets in the 6.5x284 to begin with... but with 124s I’d start at the 57 grain mark and start walking it .5 grains at a time until you find the node, I’ve never messed with anything lighter than a 140 grain Bullet in a 6.5x284. The 124s would be a better fit for something along the lines of a 6.5 creedmoor in my opinion.
I have it shooting well with a 142g LRAB, but I am interested to see what it would do with the long skinny Hammer. I'm mostly just experimenting! Nothing else to do, given the "State of things".

QUOTE="D6native, post: 1845907, member: 1087"]
[/QUOTE]

I've tried H4831sc in mine and it wouldn't group. That's one of the reasons I am trying the RL 26 and 23. Both have produced good groups for my rig. I Don't have any H 4350 so that's not an option, but I appreciate your thoughts.

As far as the temp sensitivity is concerned, I think I can live with it, given it's a hunting rifle and I am working up loads in similar temps to what I hunt in. (No 80+ degree or below 0 hunting plans in the works for this old fart)

I have temp tested RL 26. I bet some in this thread would actually be surprised by the results if they actually tested it.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it with the Hammer in a 6.5-284. RL 26 is pretty dense so its easier to get more powder in a case even though it is a slower powder.

I would be interested in the results of your testing. I have heard on some shooting/reloading forums that things start to spike above 83 degrees.

I have temp tested RL 26. I bet some in this thread would actually be surprised by the results if they actually tested it.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it with the Hammer in a 6.5-284. RL 26 is pretty dense so its easier to get more powder in a case even though it is a slower powder.

lbh, Hammer has a forum. Loading monos is a lot different that loading other bullets. I was just there, and there is some good info on loading the 6.5's with Hammers. mtmuley

mtmuley,
I'm an idiot I guess because I have searched HT and I don't seem to find what I am looking for. But sometimes I can't find my keys either! ?

Between 65-87 degrees I didn’t see enough change to care. Average was within 6 FPS.

@18* average was 27 FPS faster. Everything measured with the same mag speed with gun and ammo at ambient temps.

I do believe cartridge shape, capacity, primer, etc can and do change how different powders perform.

I have read over and over how temp sensitive RL 26 is on forums. Lately I’ve mostly been reading it’s unstable over 85*. Is that because the blend changed, people are actually testing it, it’s being used in different cartridges then when it first came out? Idk.

Hell I’ve read Retumbo is temp sensitive. Is it? Idk since I haven’t personally tested it or know someone that has.

I tested the RL 26 in a 7ss. CCI BR2, 180 ELD, 60 grains RL 26 for reference. I live in ND and it gets cold here and occasionally up to 100*. I’ve got a new gun to load for. I’ll test it again this summer and also when it gets cold out next winter. Hopefully I’ll have time to shoot in 20* increments from -20* all the way to 100* give or take a few degrees.

I’ve used it in other cartridges and haven’t had issues. I never tested them though. Lately I’ve been trying to record more data. I’ll probably try it in a 300 PRC with 215 Bergers and a 6.5SS with the 156 Berger.

Regards, Branden

Thanks mtmuley.
I was about to shoot the Creedmoor on Saturday, but I ran out of time to reload. But that spread sheet was exactly what I was looking for.

I did shoot the Hammer 124's in my 6.5x284 using RL 26. I got some impressive speeds but because I was trying to find the max I was only shooting two shots per jump. The last two groups were 1/2 MOA but I ran out of loaded rounds before any pressure signs showed up.

Another reason to head back to the range next week.

Although touted as being insensitive to seating depth I wonder if, like other mono's, the Hammers will do better seated deeper than cup and core bullets? I will be trying them in my 6.5 PRC and I noticed Steve from Hammer loaded 60 grains of RL 26 at 2.900" and got 3/4" groups at 200 yards. Factory ELD X come seated at 2.950" for reference.

Thanks mtmuley.
I was about to shoot the Creedmoor on Saturday, but I ran out of time to reload. But that spread sheet was exactly what I was looking for.

I did shoot the Hammer 124's in my 6.5x284 using RL 26. I got some impressive speeds but because I was trying to find the max I was only shooting two shots per jump. The last two groups were 1/2 MOA but I ran out of loaded rounds before any pressure signs showed up.

Another reason to head back to the range next week.

Hammer's are much different than the other mono's I have tried. Steve got me to run the 6.5 110 over H4350. Much easier to find a load for than past experiences with other copper bullets. My first group was tighter than what my best group with the other brand was after much trial and error. For my .260 no difference with seating depth. Very fast and have had good results with the two deer I have had the chance on. Meat loss is minimal and neither deer had made it 20 yards. When I get around to it I will have a bunch of Barnes in several calibers for sale.

Is your 4831 standard or the sc? How much you looking for the 8 lbs?

It's standard, the jug has been opened and I used a very small amount for testing. It's been stored properly in a climate controlled environment. I'm not sure of its value but I'll make you a great deal on it if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

For any of you who are interested, here is an update of my latest shooting with the 124g Hammer Hunter in my 6.5x284.
My best groups with RL26 averaging MV of about 3250.
.46-.51" at 100 yds.
With RL 23 I was closer to MV of 3200 with groups from .45-.89 at 100 yds.
These groups are all over sand bags and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.
I'm ready to stretch them out to some distance now but finding the time to get to a long distance range may not happen for a bit.
I'm still fiddling with powders with the Creedmoor but I'm out of bullets and just ordered more from Steve.
FYI my 28 Nosler shot a 5 shot ragged hole with the 177g HH. ? ? ?

For any of you who are interested, here is an update of my latest shooting with the 124g Hammer Hunter in my 6.5x284.
My best groups with RL26 averaging MV of about 3250.
.46-.51" at 100 yds.
With RL 23 I was closer to MV of 3200 with groups from .45-.89 at 100 yds.
These groups are all over sand bags and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.
I'm ready to stretch them out to some distance now but finding the time to get to a long distance range may not happen for a bit.
I'm still fiddling with powders with the Creedmoor but I'm out of bullets and just ordered more from Steve.
FYI my 28 Nosler shot a 5 shot ragged hole with the 177g HH. ? ? ?

Thanks for the update! I'll be curious to see how that BC turns out as I've heard some guys say it's on and some say it isn't quite what they say. I'll be trying them in a 6.5 PRC so your 6.5x284 data is very useful to me.

Thanks for the update! I'll be curious to see how that BC turns out as I've heard some guys say it's on and some say it isn't quite what they say. I'll be trying them in a 6.5 PRC so your 6.5x284 data is very useful to me.
Yeh,
After reading the Hammer Forum it seems that Steve is still trying to tweak things to get better BC, etc. But I really like that they are constantly trying to make the best bullet they can.
Good luck with the PRC and let us know how they work for you. I'm assuming you are shooting accubonds as well! ?
The 142g LRABs also work well in my rifle.

Yeh,
After reading the Hammer Forum it seems that Steve is still trying to tweak things to get better BC, etc. But I really like that they are constantly trying to make the best bullet they can.
Good luck with the PRC and let us know how they work for you. I'm assuming you are shooting accubonds as well! ?
The 142g LRABs also work well in my rifle.

Lol, I have started with the tried and true 140 grain (short range?) Accubonds. I had my best ES/SD (56 grains had an ES of 0)numbers with the Accubonds and RL 26 but my groups weren't the best. Those initial loads .020" off the lands so I have some more loaded up at .030", .040", and .050" off to try on my next trip to the range in hopes of finding "the one'.

These are the 121 gr Hammer Hunters recovered at 300 and 400 yards in the dirt pile. 6.5 Creed with a moderate dose of H4350.

20200906_143417.jpg
20200906_142037.jpg
20200906_142042.jpg

I haven't messed around with the copper bullets. What makes these bullets so great? Is it the accuracy? Looking at just the bc, there seems to be a lot of better options. Not to mention the price on these is way high.

Hey accubond,
Here's a little update. I'm getting great accuracy at 100 and 300, but out to distance the BC on the 124 is significantly lower than advertised in my rifle. On the other hand Zeke's 6.5X280 is pretty close to their published BC. He's getting a good 100 fps more MV than my 6.5X284 but my ballistics program should calculate for that. I'm still working on pinning it down but I thought I would give you the update.

I will (hopefully) have performance results end of next month with my 6.5 Creed using the 121 gr Hammer for goats and deer. I will take pictures and publish the results should the hunting gods be on my side.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom