6.5 Creedmoor and elk

Elknut33

I recently purchased a 6.5 for deer and predators, but I thought that I might also use it for a cow elk hunt later this year. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with firsthand knowledge on how this round does on larger game. Thanks

Never shot a Creedmore, But we have killed several elk with the 6.5x284 which is just a bit faster. 140gr, 6.5mm bullets just flat out kill stuff. I have been super impressed with that caliber and wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk.

I just switched from a 7 mag to a 6.5 creedmoor. 143 grain eldx going 2794fps. No elk on earth is going to walk very far from that load in the rib cage.

I know guys who dump elk in their tracks with 6.5x47 lapuas.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Since N_corey needs to know, 6.5x284 will send a 140 at 2975 fps in a 26" bbl with zero pressure. More bbl and preassure lead to higher velocity.

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on using Hornady 143gr ELD x precision hunter ammo, hopefully I'll have some success to show after the hunt.

My 15 year old daughter used one with 127 grain Barnes bullets on a cow buffalo and it did everything I would want it to do...cow elk will not be a problem. BTW those Barnes 127 grain factory ammo shot between 1/4 and 1/2 inch at a hundred and 2 1/2 inches at 400 yards.

Comparing the 6.5 creedmore to the 6.5x284 is like comparing the .308 to the 300 win mag.
Definitely not the same.

Regardless though, the little creedmore will take game with similar results as the .243 win and is plenty of gun since it can handle 140gr. bullets.

>What velocity do you get out
>of the 6.5x284.

I get 2925fps with 56gr Retumbo pushing a 140gr Berger Hunting VLD.

Creedmore wouldn't be my first choice for large game, but lots of guys take lots of stuff with it.

I'm a magnum kind of person for the most part, but a small to medium caliber in a light rifle is what I use in dense deer woods all the time.
The REM. .260 is my little favorite.
Use what you like. Happy hunting and good luck this year.

Elk - there is a lot of difference between a calm younger elk and a big bull that is fired up. A 6.5 will be effective on calm animals at reasonable ranges, but not so much on a bigger bull or an adrenaline charged younger animal. You lose the shock factor.

Good elk medicine starts with the 7 Mag and goes up from there. And if you are hunting coastal Roosevelt Elk go big and heavy for caliber for the bullet. Some of those bulls make a Rocky look like a calf.

I'm going to buy 2 of these for my daughters for their elk hunt coming up. I've guided for 24 years and have heard a lot of different opinions on calibers and fps and on and on.What it all comes comes down to is shot placement. (AM I WRONG???)so shoot what ever you are most comfortable with and be patient for the right shot. I'm not saying it has to be perfectly broad side either cuz we don't live in a perfect world, but use good sound judgement and good ethics. don't for get to post those pics.

Hunt Hard
Live Free
RIP

My Wife has killed several elk with her .243. She is a good shot and only takes perfect shorter ranges shots. If you shoot well and select a decent bullet you can expect to kill elk.

I too think the 6.5 Creedmoor will kill elk. The 130 Accubond is "almost" like shooting them with a 270 Win and that's my current self-imposed minimum. Mega-metric tons of elk have been slain with smaller cartridges so you know it can work.

Better bullets have made smaller calibers and cartridges quite acceptable if you pick the right one...and not all guys do. IMHO I've found pounds of bullets in my elk, and other's, over the years. Enough to know what performance I like and what I don't.

Like others, I'm a magnum guy on big bulls. There's no question about penetration at all reasonable ranges and angles when using a "big" gun. There's just no doubt when you use enough gun.

Zeke
#livelikezac

I use Nosler partition hand loads in my 6.5 from the 129 gr (which they don't make anymore) to currently the 140 gr partition. Best bullet by far for me. Right around 20 elk have fallen for me with this combination.

Can't go wrong with Hornady Interlocks

I killed a mule deer, antelope and a cow elk with my 6.5x284 and the hornady 143 ELDX. I push mine with H1000 and average 3012 fps. So far, the ELDX has worked great from 30 ft to 650 yards for me.

Love my 6.5 WSM!!! Has yet to require a follow up shot on deer, elk, mtn goat. you name it is kills. shooting 140gr Berger VLDs.

I know, but it usually gets lumped in.

Saw first hand what the 7mm-08 did this fall. I'm no longer a skeptic about these smaller guns.

Plus they are way funner to shoot. Got the 08' before the creedmore explosion, or id of gone 6.5.

Dead is dead, can't get deader

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Put a good bullet in it and use it. More than enough juice as long as you don't push it way out there.

My wife took her bull this year with Barnes Vor-tx ammo using the 120gr TTSX bullet in her 7mm-08. 182 yard shot, down in 40 yards.

A good bullet placed where it needs to be does wonders.

Creedmoor kills them just fine.. so many people think a guy needs a magnum to kill elk efficently, which is false. Ive seen multiple of them fall to 140 grain berger vlds and 143 hornaday eldx out of creedmoors and other SA 6.5s. Heck majority of the elk i killed when i was younger was with a 25-06 shooting 110 grain accubonds and 117 grain sierras. My ol' lady took her cow with a one shot kill using my 6.5x47 lapua at 427 yards with a 143 grain eldx.

Coloradoboy

It will work, but only if its a Tikka ;-)

2a0fcsk.gif

Nope the 6.5 will not work on elk. Seen it first hand. Both my boys this year shot elk with it and the bullets just bounced off. One cow just went back to eating after the bullet bounced off her shoulder.....,,Really?? Asking if a 6.5 works on elk is kinda silly. Both my boys dropped their elk like a joke. My younger boy made a very fast follow up shot on his cow elk and hit it in the right rear butt. That bullet busted out the chest on the front left after breaking the front shoulder. Didn?t need the second shot by the way since the first bullet broke the near shoulder and cleared behind the other. 6.5 is more than enough gun for any elk.

>Elk - there is a lot
>of difference between a calm
>younger elk and a big
>bull that is fired up.
>A 6.5 will be effective
>on calm animals at reasonable
>ranges, but not so much
>on a bigger bull or
>an adrenaline charged younger animal.
>You lose the shock factor.
>
>
>Good elk medicine starts with the
>7 Mag and goes up
>from there. And if you
>are hunting coastal Roosevelt Elk
>go big and heavy for
>caliber for the bullet. Some
>of those bulls make a
>Rocky look like a calf.
>

So let me get this straight. If I shoot a calm raghorn in the heart lungs with a 6.5 creedmoor he'll die, but if I shoot a monster 6x6 that's all fired up in the heart/lungs with that same 6.5 Creedmoor he won't die? Nice! I learned something new today!!

A 6.5 will kill a fired up older bull, no question. The difference is how far he goes before he realizes he's been killed. Adrenaline does some funky things. If he can cover 150 yards in steep black timber you'll probably never find him. If you do find him, he'll be upside down in the water at the bottom of a steep, ugly ravine.

That said, if I could afford it I'd have a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor on order for a steep country elk rifle. Until then, I'll have to keep lugging the .375 H&H. Like any tool, you just have to know its limitations and work within them. Use the heaviest bullets that will shoot well, don't take ridiculous shots, and don't listen to anyone who says it isn't a good elk rifle.

>The Crudmore is "magic" man. mtmuley
>

Not as magic as a RUM. Point of fact, no game larger than a whitetail deer was harvested prior to the commercial development of the RUM.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-18 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p] In 1962 the 7mm Rem Mag essentially killed the 264 Win Mag because it was more versatile. Now the 6.5 Creedmore which is not anymore gun than the 6.5x55 is the greatest thing since sliced bread for elk. no it's not.

A 22 Hornet is an elk gun if you only take perfect shots and you only make perfect shots. the truth comes to light when you don't have a perfect shot, you take a long shot your wimpy gun isn't up to , or you don't make a perfect shot.

I wish I had a dollar for every leaker I had to follow onto my neighbors ranch shot by people who would only take shots their wimpy rifles were good for . nobody hunts my place anymore with less than a 270 and that's minimal in my opinion for the average lead flinger. I've found all the sharp shooters and ethics majors lose it as soon as there's hair in the scope. and this is just on friggin depredation cow hunts for christ's sake. " oh my boy is deadly with his 243 " . yeah WTF ever. I'm done with it.

Okay I'm off my soap box. just remember, You don't have to be a hero. use enough gun.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

It would work. So would a .223....i had a doe tag and used my 6.8...wind blew billets all over and it was a shitshow. Cute rounds will work but why...

I'm trying to think why it's a good idea to hand a ?buck-fevered? person a large magnum with copious recoil to add to the fire. Half the battle is pre-shot.

Use a rifle you are comfortable with. Know it inside and out. Be able to load, unload, take the magazine in and out, same with the bottom floorplate where applicable.........like it's second nature.

Practice. Know where your gun it hitting at different distances.

I've got a 6.5 creed and a 7mag. I'm gonna kill a bull this fall with a 6.5 Grendel!!!

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

www.cloverleafrifles.com

https://youtu.be/l3xHt-xeNYw

>My elk rifle has a catchy
>name too. .300 Ultra Magnum.
>mtmuley

Im a 300rum guy myself as far as elk goes. But when it comes to smaller framed shooters like my fiance whos 5'3 i feel an accurately placed bullet from a 6.5x47, 6.5 creed, 260 etc is much more ethical and effective then a flinch and a poor shot from a large magnum.

Coloradoboy

Just less margin for error. With a good shot they kill fine. When something goes wrong you will wish you had more horse power. I am still wishing......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom