6.5 Creedmoor powder combo

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Just got a 6.5 for deer. Reloading my bullets, but am running into a snag. Only powder I’m finding to work with it is Hybrid 100. I am shooting 140 grain bullets. Looking to pick up the speed a little, and bought 120 grain tsx. Only problem is, I cannot find a load recipe for hybrid, and cannot find any of the powders that are recommended for that weight bullet, except an 8lb can of imr4350. Its only 200, BUT I don’t want to buy 8 lbs, and my gun not like the powder. Does anyone have experience with these bullets and hybrid 100, or should I just buy the 8 lbs?

Those are some of the ones I have been looking for. Everyone around here is sold out of pretty much everything. I haven’t reloaded in a few years, so my powder stock isn’t too great. Figured, as soon as I want to start again, hit a powder shortage. I did find a recipe for a similar bullet I’m going to try. So fingers crossed.

Im pretty sure H4350 is the the go to powder for the 6.5 CM. Mine likes 39 grs with a 140 gr SST or Partition. Tried RL15 but accuracy wasn't as good.

I have read alot on the powders for the 6.5, the go to is the H4350 and imr4350 is a close second. My buddies have been giving me there empty boxes of ammo. I loaded up the first 50 with imr4350, I am very pleased with the results so far, but I am not totally dialed in. I would buy the powder.

I have started some recipes, and am very pleased actually. I may get the 4350 as well, but the hybrid 100 has performed very well. 37.5 grains, pushing 120 grain Barnes tsx gets me .5 moa at 100. Might jump up a little, as velocity is only 2700. No signs of pressure. So, next shooting trip will be 38-41 grains, finding best performance, then fine tuning jump after that.

My 6.5 CM shoots a 129LR accubond at 2900 with RL16 and RL17. and great accuracy.
I've also been playing with 124g. Hammer Hunters with good accuracy and velocity above 2900.

If you want a 1lb. canister? Try Christensen Reloading Supply in Sandy, Utah. He’s a little over priced, but he may have it. Oh my Tikka T3X 6.5 likes IMR4350 42 grains using a Hornady 142 grain ELDX.

I haven’t heard of that one!!! Definitely will! And huntermann, I live in New Mexico, so an not quite desperate enough to pay 80 (after shopping) for powder. I may be in the near future though. B

Here it is specially designed for the 6.5 creedmoor VihtaVuori N555 powder.

Here it is specially designed for the 6.5 creedmoor VihtaVuori N555 powder.
I use thier N560 in my 280 ai and n565 in my 300 mag great powder

lol....basically same description as varget...IMR4064.....H4350.....
Actually no none Of those give the velocity or the low, es of the VihtaVuori powders, been there tried all of them and the VihtaVuori beats them all includeing RL 26

Actually no none Of those give the velocity or the low, es of the VihtaVuori powders, been there tried all of them and the VihtaVuori beats them all includeing RL 26

Oh....I'm not arguing at all about the performance of that powder......just the description by the manufacturers....They all say the exact same thing....

lol....basically same description as varget...IMR4064.....H4350.....
Don’t forget staball 6.5, and IMR4451.,. I just wish there were a few in that burn rate range described as not suitable for 6.5cm, maybe a guy could buy those.

I have an 8 lb jug coming in tomorrow!!! H4350.

You won't be disappointed. I was able to come up with a load for 140gr Bergers that crono at 2863 fps from a 22" barrel. Slightly stiff bolt lift, so it's definitely hot. But case necks are fine and primer pockets are not flattened.

I walked into our local gun shop and was happy to see some H4350 on the shelf, I walked over and was going to get a 1 lb can just because, then I saw the price, $50 for 1 lb! I left it there

You won't be disappointed. I was able to come up with a load for 140gr Bergers that crono at 2863 fps from a 22" barrel. Slightly stiff bolt lift, so it's definitely hot. But case necks are fine and primer pockets are not flattened.
You're playing a dangerous game. That speed out of a 22" barrel, that load is nuclear hot.

You're playing a dangerous game. That speed out of a 22" barrel, that load is nuclear hot.
I actually dialed it down from 43.0 grains. I'm at 42.6 now (where it shoots sub-moa), but I've gone two seasons with that recipe and I keep thinking I'm on borrowed time.

I'll get back on the bench and try 42.0 grains.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom