6.5 Creedmore VS 308 Winchester

I'm not fascinated by either. both are below average performers in their caliber.

But for elk size game if these were my only options obviously the 308 would be the only choice.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Here is a data sheet on a 308. You can see even at 700 yards it drops below 1000 ft lbs of energy. http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2017/27396b4dc5cbe25a24d54b4d48667d3c03691.jpeg Here is a data sheet on a 408. I know it's a lot bigger. But i think you can see what Ochocokid is talking about. http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2017/75318b07fa82fd4904044a16696e180f55962.jpeg I know a lot of people use the 308 and the 6.5 for 1000 yard target shooting. But you can see how the energy drops off pretty fast. I could have posted up a data sheet for you on 300 rum. But it would show the same thing.

The Creedmore is a lot like the 260 Remington, 7mm-08 and all the other little boring rounds that were developed for who knows what. why not a 6.5x55 if you simply must shoot a slow .264 bullet ? and anything they can do the 270 can do better anyway.

In my opinion we've been reinventing the wheel since about 1965 just to sell guns. other than a few of the super magnums and the 17 HMR nothing new has come since then anyone would miss if you give it an honest evaluation.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

> The Creedmore is a lot
>like the 260 Remington, 7mm-08
>and all the other little
>boring rounds that were developed
> for who knows what.
> why not a 6.5x55
>if you simply must shoot
>a slow .264 bullet ?
> and anything
>they can do the 270
>can do better anyway.
>
>
> In my opinion we've been
>reinventing the wheel since about
>1965 just to sell
>guns. other than
>a few of the super
>magnums and the 17 HMR
>nothing new has come since
>then anyone would miss if
>you give it an honest
>evaluation.
>
>
>
I 100% agree...except....I like the 17HM2 even more than the 17HMR....both converted 10/22's

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I haven't shot the 6.5 seems like a decent round but nothing 'magical'. .308 has stood the test of time.

The smaller 6.5s definitely have a place in the hunting and target world. What's not to like about a round that will ring steel way out there, kill deer, kill elk, all while burning 40 something grains of powder?

Efficiency, barrel life, and low recoil are hallmarks of these cartridges.

Can they do something a .270 can't? Nope. But they can do a lot of the same things, with less powder and less recoil.

2a0fcsk.gif

Im building a ultra light rifle, trying to decide on cartridge, don't need to shoot past 300 yards. I have a couple rifles that I am trying to use for the build. I have a Savage .308, old youth model, a couple WSSM featherweight rifles. Also thinking about using my Thompson Encore, 25-06, cut the barrel down to 22", have it fluted, should be under 5#, my need to add a muzzle break.

The "fascination with the Creedmoor", for me, comes from the fact that it has a 3-4000 round-count barrel life, low recoil, high BC, easy and cheap to load, typically extremely accurate and is a pure pleasure to shoot! It's NOT the end-all for hunting but at the shooting range it's almost the cat's mew.

I've got both those cartridges and the 308 stays home and will probably be re-barreled to something way more fun to shoot thousands of times. If I want the .308 bore it will have a bigger case behind it for hunting.

I have used the Creedmoor on a deer and a half dozen coyotes since I built my first one a few months ago but at the range it's been worked hard and often. It's good for small groups even out to 600 yards. This won't be my last Creedmoor.

If we're talking about hunting, I usually opt for something with more rip-n-snort.

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor the only good cartridge out there? No but it's pretty damn fine for what I use it for.

Zeke

#livelikezac

The 6.5 creedmore is one of the few calibers I don't have. But I have fired a few and would probably purchase one, but I have had a .260 Rem. since before the cartridge was in a production rifle.
I love to shoot the .260 and can see why lots like the creedmore.
But I like a magnum for long shots of 300yrds plus if I can help it, when hunting.
But u hate to see guys sell the .308 short. It's a great cartridge and can deliver a heavier bullet than the little 6.5s.
But the creedmore is more efficient and has less recoil.
Most probably don't take game farther than 300yrds very often, if ever.
Lots of calibers will perform great at that distance for sure.
I guess it makes better sense to use one with plenty of power and less recoil.
If I don't expect to shoot past 300yrds I take my .260 Rem for a walk.
Or my .308.
Or my .270.
Or my 243,etc.
Certainly for deer ,they do the job.
Personally I feel more comfortable carrying something bigger for elk, especially in grizzly country.
Guys take elk and some big ones too, with 243 and 6.5s every year though.
Great to have so many to choose from these days. And the bullets we have to use in them are a great many more ,even.
Shoot what you like guys.if you shoot it well then it is gonna work.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-18 AT 08:47PM (MST)[p]I'm betting if they had named it the 6.5 leonard.......we wouldn't be talking about it right now

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-18 AT 11:39AM (MST)[p]I agree with Homer. I was watching Jay Leno's Garage and there's an episode about a Nissan 280 Z. I learned that in Japan its called the Fairlady. I'll be damned if I'm going to drive a Fairlady. Guns are the same way, you have to have a cool, recognizable name like Nosler, Ruger, Creedmoor etc..

I do have a 6.5 Creedmoor but it's not for hunting, maybe some prairie dogs. I got it because I wanted to get more into long range shooting. I picked it because I wanted a short action repeater and figured it would be better to start with and I didn't have a 6.5 caliber. I'll be honest, I bought into the hype. I'm not disappointed in it because it's not a sporter and I have my favorites for hunting. In the future I might get a RUM or WIN Mag.
15548img0453.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-18 AT 07:37AM (MST)[p].308, 150 grain Nosler, 46 grains powder, 2958 fps, B.C. .387...@400 yards, 300 yard zero, 11.63 inches drop, 1406 energy

6.5 Creedmore, 140 grain Nosler, 36.5 grains powder, 2635 fps,.490 BC....@ 400 yards, 300 yard zero, 13.65 drop, 1189 energy.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-18
>AT 07:37?AM (MST)

>
>.308, 150 grain Nosler, 46 grains
>powder, 2958 fps, B.C. .387...@400
>yards, 300 yard zero, 11.63
>inches drop, 1406 energy
>
>6.5 Creedmore, 140 grain Nosler, 36.5
>grains powder, 2635 fps,.490 BC....@
>400 yards, 300 yard zero,
>13.65 drop, 1189 energy.

You're a little high on your .308 velocity, and a little low on your 6.5. Put them at the factory rating of 2820 for the 308 and 2700 for the 6.5 I bet they are almost identical.

Run the numbers farther out, say 1000 yards for shooting steel. The 6.5 will need 20-30" less wind lead than the .308 in almost every case. Bullet drop is not as big of a deal as it used to be with current rangefinders and scopes, but wind drift is still an inexact science.

2a0fcsk.gif

My data is straight from the Nosler web site.

Im planning on using it for a hunting rifle, so don't care about anything over 400 yards with these two cartridges. With the short actions I can build a rifle under 5 pounds, or buy a Mountain Ascent in the 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, or 308.

Running ballistics I can't find any situation where the 6.5 Creedmore is better than the 308.

>My data is straight from the
>Nosler web site.
>
>Im planning on using it for
>a hunting rifle, so don't
>care about anything over 400
>yards with these two cartridges.
> With the short actions
>I can build a rifle
>under 5 pounds, or buy
>a Mountain Ascent in the
>7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, or 308.
>
>
>Running ballistics I can't find any
>situation where the 6.5 Creedmore
>is better than the 308.
>

Like I said earlier, in those situations either cartridge will do just fine. Pick whichever you like.

2a0fcsk.gif

7mm-08.

Saw what one could do this fall. No longer a skeptic. Light, nearly no recoil.

Granted I don't LR.

Reality is u can play the game all day, but if your gonna shoot a 270, just as well shoot an 06'.

.17hmr is probably the 3rd best round ever invented. Behind only the 06' and 7mm, IMO. Love that little sucker!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

sending my 25-06 barrel from my Thompson Encore to get fluted and 2 inches cut off. got a composite stock and fore end, should get me under 5 pounds. 25 caliber cartridges are deadly.

The reason the 6.5 is getting more popular is with a 1 in 8 twist barrel you can shoot high bc bullets like the Hornady 143 grain with a .625 bc or Berger 140, with a 600 bc. Less wind drift is a good thing. ce61

I bet the majority of guys buying the Needmore don't know what BC means, or even care about wind drift, much less have the skills to compensate for it. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom