6.5 prc

>What do you all think of
>this

A awesome 6.5 round ! Faster then a 6.5 Man bun gun(round) and still qualifies for PRS matches !

Definitely a cartridge I have looked hard at.
Time will tell how available brass and loaded ammo will be.
It is ballisticly identical to the 6.5x284.
But, in a little smaller length cartridge that will fit nicely into all short short action rifles, including the model seven. It uses a little less powder than the other 6.5 short mag type cartridges also.
Supposedly, it averages around 260-270fps faster than the Rem. 260 and the 6.5 Creed more.
Which places it firmly in true magnum velocities and all from a short action,light weight rifle, with a 24" barrel.
Sounds too good to be true.
I'll be waiting a year or two for me and my wallet to make our minds up.

I agree. I'd like to see what offerings are out there with rifle manufacturers prior to parting with several hundred dollars.

Right now, not too many under $1k.

Would like to try one in a Ruger American. Maybe Savage will pony up an affordable version.
But if I could choose any rifle out there for this cartridge, it would hands down be the Remington model seven. But I would prefer a 24" barrel for this cartridge. The short action 700 would be more likely to offer that length barrel.
Ruger m77 Hawkeye would be nice.
If Winchester throws out a model 70 in the 6.5 PRC, I may have trouble controlling myself for very long.

just another 6.5

lately they are a dime a dozen....

264 win mag still reins superior...

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-19 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]>just another 6.5
>
>
>
>
>lately they are a dime a
>dozen....
>
>
>264 win mag still reins superior...

I suppose it all depends on what you want out of a rifle whether or not it reins supreme...

Well guys, after talking to a few guys that actually put a barrel chambered in this cartridge on thier rifles.....

This cartridge doesn't really fit that well in a short action as it is advertised.
It can be built on a short action, but an extended mag box must be fitted to the action and the mag well inletted to fit. It's better off on a standard long action for versatility in seating depth.
But, the reports I got on the recoil of this cartridge are promising.
All say it recoils much like the Creed more and gave 3,100-3,200fps with 140gr out of a 24" barrel.
That's mag performance without magnum recoil.
So a light weight rifle for pack hunting would still be easily shoot able and that is good news.
As many barrels as are being sold in this cartridge right now, it is likely going to be popular enough to keep manufacturers making components like brass, so it hopefully will be a safe choice to get started with one of these.

it's recoil is the same as any 6.5 of the same weight shooting same weight bullet and muzzle velocity.....the name of a gun doesn't affect physics....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-19 AT 00:30AM (MST)[p]Homer,
The Creed more is blown out of the water by the velocity of the 6.5 PRC.
Cartridge design certainly affects recoil, as does a number of other factors.
I can attest that all else being equal, the .338 win mag has a sharper felt recoil firing 200gr. bullets than the .375 does firing 250gr.
I can appreciate you having no interest in this up and coming caliber.
Some other people just may.
Guys that hunt two or three days a year, can't hit anything past 150yrds,and too fat and out of shape, or just too lazy to walk very far from the truck probably don't have a need for a powerful yet easy to carry rifle that can handle everything from elk to coyotes out to 600yds. or so ....
I'm sure you probably don't fall in that category. You probably have a .270 that can out shoot all comers too, and will never need anything else.
We are all happy for you.
And if no one else is, at least I am happy for you.
Some of us are still learning all we can and don't have your superior intellect and hunting prowess.
I personally may need a caliber like the 6.5 PRC, in a rifle that weighs a little less than the howitzer I seem to love to carry now. At least for long range deer hunting anyway.
I just finished working 19 hours straight , fleshing hides and in case you haven't noticed,
I'm starting to get pissed off about all these absolutely meaningful post it seems you enjoy so much to enlighten us all with.

Not to change the topic completely but I think if I were to get another 26 cal I would get the 26 Nosler. I've been looking into the 26 and 28 Nosler lately and am Surprised neither is taking off the same way the Creedmoor has

>Not to change the topic completely
>but I think if I
>were to get another 26
>cal I would get the
>26 Nosler. I've been looking
>into the 26 and 28
>Nosler lately and am Surprised
>neither is taking off the
>same way the Creedmoor has
>

Those are great cartridges. But like many cartridges that have came out over the last 20+ years, they haven't been offered in alot of factory rifles that the average person would buy.
More importantly ammo is difficult to find , usually had to be ordered, is expensive, and worse, brass is very epensive and isn't manufactured in large quantities.
The PRC all ready has decent amount of ammo and brass out there but untill it's offered in some more affordable factory rifle options, it won't take off like the Creed more has. But according to barrel makers there are an awfully lot of rifles being rebarrelled to this new cartridge.
That's a very good sighn that it will have success.
Several faster, more powerful 6.5s out there already. But the 6.5 PRC is the most efficient of them yet, and has a very light recoil for the power it produces. Probably the best powder to power/recoil ratio out there.
With Hornady making affordable ammo and loading components and both competition and hunters using it more and more, I think this one will be around a long time

Yea you're right about that the price of the 26 and 28 is really high and there not many rifle manufactures making them. But with what I've been seeing about these 2 I don't think it would take much marketing to get these up in popularity and as soon as interest is really sparked I could see a lot of hunters jumping on this the same way they did with the Creedmoor.

download it to 2900 fps....and your recoil will be closer.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Well that would pretty much take the point away From buying the 26 Nosler don't you think? Lol anyway recoil wouldn't bother me if I do end up getting one down the road... price of ammo that would be the issue unless prices were to come down.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-19 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]lol....what a circus....this is like trying to teach a monkey how to tie a knot...

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

The guns that some have bought as factory options are being sold with 22" barrels. They are getting a little over 2,900fps with 143gr bullets.
It seems the 6.5 PRC reaches it's optimal speed out of 24" tubes, unlike most of the competing cartridges that need a 26" barrel to reach the same speeds.
The people I have talked to mostly have all gone with buying a barrel to stick on an action they have. This is the only affordable way to get this cartridge right now.
But I have two confirmed velocities of 3,189fps + 3,212fps with 24" barrel, 147gr bullets, from two different guys that did a remage barrel on a 700 action.
That's equal to or better than the .264 win mag, with less powder and much shorter cartridge length, that will fit in a short action ,but will need an extended mag box installed.
That confirms the speed attainable in a 24" rifle,that can be in a lighter rig because of the very manageable recoil.
If I start seeing brass redily available from at least two manufacturers ,I will probably do a rebarrel project once I find a cheap doner rifle.
Does require magnum bolt face. So to keep cost down the doner should have a mag bolt in it.
Would be great to see some gun companies chamber rifles in this one that sell for $600 or less though.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-19 AT 07:05PM (MST)[p]>Here is a chart comparing the
>6.5 cartridges. Look how much
>more recoil the 26 Nosler
>has. Then the 6.5 Prc.
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/44353f006498ff2c4951ba97521b55a7f690.jpeg. I already have
>a super magnum with a
>stout recoil. The idea of
>a 6.5 prc is a
>comfortable shooting more affordable rifle.
>

JT, Your list left off my wildcat!!! Lol

My 6.5 x 280 AI flings that slug at a tad over 3100 with 59.5 grains of Reloder 26. Damn near 26 Nosler ballistics in an action that I had on hand. It shoots itty bitty groups with the Proof Research barrel too. I'm enamoured with this new toy but not everyone will spend the money or put forth the effort to have a wildcat round.

Zeke
#livelikezac

What do you guys think is the heaviest bullet you could fit in this one? Anyone have any data on a 160grn or so bullet? Might one even fit?

Cheers,
Pete

That's what I ask the guys I talked to ,also.
One of em is going to give them a try this spring.
It certainly will fit and powder capacity is enough to push it. But accuracy is the question.
I suspect it would stabilize in a 1-8 twist ,but maybe not at higher velocities.
That bullet would increase the felt recoil quite a bit too. But likely wouldn't be a factor unless it's out of an extremely light rifle.
I have a few boxes of 160s I would like to get some use from. They won't work to well in my .260.
Have to wait for someone to try em and pass on some info

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-19 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]I shot one today....it would be perfect for girls. It doesn't kick and hits where you want without thought........

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-19
>AT 06:54?PM (MST)

>
>I shot one today....it would be
>perfect for girls. It doesn't
>kick and hits where you
>want without thought........
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>-- when they're dead...

That's perfect! Looking for a accurate soft shooter light weight!

Ruger Hawkeye long range rifle now offered in the PRC too.
Most reloading die manufacturers make dies now and brass is made by at least three manufacturers.

This one's barely around a year old and it is likely going to be a hit already.
Don't think it's going to be drifting away any time soon.

...kicks harder than the 6.5-284

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-19
>AT 00:30?AM (MST)

>
>Homer,
>The Creed more is blown out
>of the water by the
>velocity of the 6.5 PRC.
>
>Cartridge design certainly affects recoil, as
>does a number of other
>factors.
>I can attest that all else
>being equal, the .338 win
>mag has a sharper felt
>recoil firing 200gr. bullets than
>the .375 does firing 250gr.
>
>I can appreciate you having no
>interest in this up and
>coming caliber.
>Some other people just may.
>Guys that hunt two or three
>days a year, can't hit
>anything past 150yrds,and too fat
>and out of shape, or
>just too lazy to walk
>very far from the truck
>probably don't have a need
>for a powerful yet easy
>to carry rifle that can
>handle everything from elk to
>coyotes out to 600yds. or
>so ....
>I'm sure you probably don't fall
>in that category. You probably
>have a .270 that can
>out shoot all comers too,
>and will never need anything
>else.
>We are all happy for you.
>
>And if no one else is,
>at least I am happy
>for you.
>Some of us are still learning
>all we can and don't
>have your superior intellect and
>hunting prowess.
>I personally may need a caliber
>like the 6.5 PRC, in
>a rifle that weighs a
>little less than the howitzer
>I seem to love to
>carry now. At least for
>long range deer hunting anyway.
>
>I just finished working 19 hours
>straight , fleshing hides and
>in case you haven't noticed,
>
>I'm starting to get pissed off
>about all these absolutely meaningful
>post it seems you enjoy
>so much to enlighten us
>all with.

That was a great read

>...kicks harder than the 6.5-284
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>-- when they're dead...

Yes with a 8 lb rifle. I don't know if I could feel the .9 of a foot pound difference. But they are both soft shooters in my book. I use to think my 338 win mag in a Browning A bolt didn't kick. Now shooting a 300 Tejas on most of my hunts. Most people are afraid of it. But it is a sheep in wolfs clothing. Not anything in the recoil department. In my opinion anyway. But a little loud having a muzzle break. The 6.5 prc you can buy ammo over the counter if you don't have time to reload. You can shoot it all day and not break the bank. With a suppressor on it. It should be pleasant to shoot. It is very close to the great 6.5 x 284. But easier to access ammo and brass. Or I would think Zeke would say the great .284.

It's actually 1.1 ftlb difference....but you still couldn't feel it.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'm sure someone got to 3212 fps with the PRC but I've got to wonder how big the primer pockets are after the attempt.

My brass gets the full treatment and I'm not willing to ruin it with the first firing.

When the dust settles, we'll figure out that it's a fine cartridge at 2900-3000 fps with a 140 grain class bullet.

I've read some wild, entertaining stuff on this thread.

Remember this too guys, if all else is the same, RECOIL WILL INCREASE AS VELOCITY INCREASES.

Zeke
#livelikezac

Another ?slow? half mast 6.5 just like the creedmore. The 264 Win Mag has been getting it done since 1958 and will continue to do so long after the ?fad guns? come and go. Another I get a laugh out of is the 6mm creedmore , ya I've got a 243........... !!!!

>Another ?slow? half mast 6.5 just
>like the creedmore. The 264
>Win Mag has been getting
>it done since 1958 and
>will continue to do so
>long after the ?fad guns?
>come and go. Another I
>get a laugh out of
>is the 6mm creedmore ,
>ya I've got a 243...........
>!!!!

lol....no kidding

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19 AT 10:20AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19 AT 10:17?AM (MST)

So here are ballistics from Nosler and Hornady with the 140 gr. sighted at 200 yds. 264 is 2950, at 400 is 1540 energy with 19.7 drop, at 500 1322, with 39.5 drop. The 6.5 prc with 140gr.is 2960, at 400, with 1800 energy, drop is 18.2, at 500, energy is 1604 with 36.2 drop. So if i was buying a 6.5 looks to me there is no comparison.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p]

well....that settles it. I'm suing my college physics teacher....lmao

THAT is not possible.

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19
>AT 10:20?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19
>AT 10:17?AM (MST)

>
>So here are ballistics from Nosler
>and Hornady with the 140
>gr. sighted at 200 yds.
>264 is 2950, at 400
>is 1540 energy
>with 19.7 drop, at
>500 1322, with 39.5 drop.
> The
>6.5 prc with 140gr.is
>2960, at 400, with
>1800 energy, drop is 18.2,
>at 500, energy is 1604
>with 36.2 drop. So
>if i was buying a
>6.5 looks to me there
>is no comparison.

Those specs are using 2 different projectiles. Hornady only loads the 140 interlock in 264 WM. Also, 140's can be pushed to 3150-3200 pretty easily in the 264. Run those numbers and let us know how there is no comparison ;-)

2a0fcsk.gif

>>LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19
>>AT 10:20?AM (MST)

>>
>>LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-19
>>AT 10:17?AM (MST)

>>
>>So here are ballistics from Nosler
>>and Hornady with the 140
>>gr. sighted at 200 yds.
>>264 is 2950, at 400
>>is 1540 energy
>>with 19.7 drop, at
>>500 1322, with 39.5 drop.
>> The
>>6.5 prc with 140gr.is
>>2960, at 400, with
>>1800 energy, drop is 18.2,
>>at 500, energy is 1604
>>with 36.2 drop. So
>>if i was buying a
>>6.5 looks to me there
>>is no comparison.
>
>Those specs are using 2 different
>projectiles. Hornady only loads the
>140 interlock in 264 WM.
>Also, 140's can be pushed
>to 3150-3200 pretty easily in
>the 264. Run those numbers
>and let us know how
>there is no comparison ;-)
>
>
>
2a0fcsk.gif

duh.....

only thing affecting those bullets after the 2960 fps happens is wind resistance and gravity....not case shape...

those two ballistic strings obviously are apples and oranges.

THAT IS MY POINT

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I think I would look hard at the Browning before I bought the Seekins Havoc.
Price verses what you get seems to me a considerable difference.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-19 AT 05:30AM (MST)[p]Word around the campfire is the U.S government is replacing the .308 with the 6.5 CM. Im sure it was rumored the Lazeroni Warbird was going to do the same in its hay day.

Not a damn thing wrong with a new super cartridge but I'm really loving my .257 Weatherby.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-19 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]

>>Another ?slow? half mast 6.5 just
>>like the creedmore. The 264
>>Win Mag has been getting
>>it done since 1958 and
>>will continue to do so
>>long after the ?fad guns?
>>come and go. Another I
>>get a laugh out of
>>is the 6mm creedmore ,
>>ya I've got a 243...........
>>!!!!
>
>lol....no kidding
>
>

I'll play. What is your 264 and 243?s factory twists? What's your 243?s magazine length and throat geometry? Factory ammo offerings? are the best brass and rifle manufacturers getting in line to produce them?

If Judging a cartridges worth on how fast they can throw an ashtray is your number one concern, then by all means live in 1958. But food for thought, it doesn't matter one damn bit what the speed is at the starting gate, it's the impact speed that matters.

Give two thoughts to rifle mechanics and it shouldn't be to hard to understand the popularity of these new cartridges. Sorry about the nostalgia loss and hurt feelings tho, that's a real bummer

Find your safe spaces, within the next few years the 22 creedmoor will squish the 22-250 out of existence just like the 6.5 and 6 are doing to their relative cartridges. The 22 and 22-250 peas in a pod, the difference? Twist rates, throat geometry and bullets done correctly from the manufacturer. I know it's a pain not having to wait for a gunsmith to build a rifle correctly anymore.

>>>Another ?slow? half mast 6.5 just
>>>like the creedmore. The 264
>>>Win Mag has been getting
>>>it done since 1958 and
>>>will continue to do so
>>>long after the ?fad guns?
>>>come and go. Another I
>>>get a laugh out of
>>>is the 6mm creedmore ,
>>>ya I've got a 243...........
>>>!!!!
>>
>>lol....no kidding
>>
>>
>
>I'll play. What is your 264
>and 243?s factory twists? What's
>your 243?s magazine length and
>throat geometry? Factory ammo offerings?

>I are the best brass
>and rifle manufacturers getting in
>line to produce them?
>
>If Judging a cartridges worth on
>how fast they can throw
>an ashtray is your number
>one concern, then by all
>means live in 1958.
>
>Give two thoughts to rifle mechanics
>and it shouldn't be to
>hard to understand the popularity
>of these new cartridges. Sorry
>about the nostalgia loss and
>hurt feelings tho, that's a
>real bummer

I see this site still hasn't updated its functionality since 1998..must be a theme

I have the Seekins Havak. Hornady ammo is backordered. I have been working on loads with 143 eldx and RL26. Accuracy is excellent and after about 40 rounds I'm up to 3000 FPS with no signs of pressure. Have not messed with seating depth and will try RL25. Love the rifle and 6.5PRC!

>I have the Seekins Havak. Hornady
>ammo is backordered. I have
>been working on loads with
>143 eldx and RL26. Accuracy
>is excellent and after about
>40 rounds I'm up to
>3000 FPS with no signs
>of pressure. Have not messed
>with seating depth and will
>try RL25. Love the rifle
>and 6.5PRC!

Been thinkin on this exact rifle. What's your thoughts for elk w it?

The 6.5 PRC has around 600 more ft. Pounds of energy at 500yrds than a .270 win.
Around 1,200+ lb. lb. of energy at 500yrd. with a 140gr bullet.

If a guy thinks he needs more than that for elk, moose, or whatever, then step up to something bigger.

You guys draw your own conclusions.

I have decided to start saving pennies for a rifle, or rifle build, in a 6.5 PRC with 24" barrel in a mountain rifle weight package.

Just shot one today.
No brake, 22" barrel, pushing 140 at 3,094fps, and the recoil was in the range of a .270 in my opinion. Slightly more than my .260 Rem.

Shot 1 1/4" group at 200yrds.

These were reloaded with R-26 powder.
And this rifle was a built gun on a Savage action and I don't know it's weight, but it felt very light.

I'm sold.

This is a well designed cartridge that equalls the 6.5x284 with less powder charge, and designed around a high bc bullet that is seated long.

Do as you wish and believe what you want.
I used my Chrono and read it myself.

I have accurate rifles in both .284 and .30 with more energy than the 6.5 Prc, but I'd have zero problem taking it on an elk hunt.

I run a suppressed 20? with 140 eldms at 2960. With little kick and easy to handle, it's one of my go-tos anymore...

"JT, Your list left off my wildcat!!! Lol

My 6.5 x 280 AI flings that slug at a tad over 3100 with 59.5 grains of Reloder 26. Damn near 26 Nosler ballistics in an action that I had on hand. It shoots itty bitty groups with the Proof Research barrel too. I'm enamoured with this new toy but not everyone will spend the money or put forth the effort to have a wildcat round."

Zeke
#livelikezac

Now that sounds fun... I love my 280AI so I'm sure this one would just a fun!

I found this old thread & could only laugh at some of the comments. I purchased a 6.5 PRC last December & I absolutely love it. It’s a lightweight tack driver for sure.
My dad & I have had the same arguments since I first mentioned buying one. So bad, that when I did buy one I didn’t tell him. Lol
Everyone has their opinions... some guys like Fords, others Chevys. My point is, use what works best for you. I have a buddy that uses a 300Win Mag for EVERYTHING. It was his dads gun & to him, it’s the greatest rifle & cartridge ever made. I shot a 7 Mag for years & years. Now I shoot a 300WSM, a .308Win & my 6.5PRC.

When I first started turkey hunting I bought a single shot 10ga. Nearly 30 years later, this year I bought a .410 to turkey hunt with. My point is, you don’t need a 5lb sledge hammer to kill a mouse. Lol

Yeah, got one myself. Got the Browning X-bolt HC speed (24" brl). Not getting the speed I want even with max load according to Hornady.

Using H1000 and getting a good node at 2915fps. Shot a 3 shot group in the 3s. Still doing load development but looks promising so far even with a broke dich trigger. I'll talk more about the trigger if folks ask...

Oh and btw, the recoil is effing stout w/o a brake. 143grn ELDx at max load will punish you after about 20rds or so. Nothing compared to a 300WIN though.

With the brake on it shoots like a mild 243.

One thing I will say is Hornady 6.5 PRC brass are damn good. Shot max loads twice on several brass and the primer pocket is still snug like it was brand new. Also, I saw no pressure signs with max load. The typical looking at the primer, ejector dents, hard bolt lift, etc...

I've also tried R25 but MV was all over the place. Huge jumps in ES. H1000 is SO much more stable. Single digit ES.

Yeah, got one myself. Got the Browning X-bolt HC speed (24" brl). Not getting the speed I want even with max load according to Hornady.

Using H1000 and getting a good node at 2915fps. Shot a 3 shot group in the 3s. Still doing load development but looks promising so far even with a broke dich trigger. I'll talk more about the trigger if folks ask...

Oh and btw, the recoil is effing stout w/o a brake. 143grn ELDx at max load will punish you after about 20rds or so. Nothing compared to a 300WIN though.

With the brake on it shoots like a mild 243.

One thing I will say is Hornady 6.5 PRC brass are damn good. Shot max loads twice on several brass and the primer pocket is still snug like it was brand new. Also, I saw no pressure signs with max load. The typical looking at the primer, ejector dents, hard bolt lift, etc...

I've also tried R25 but MV was all over the place. Huge jumps in ES. H1000 is SO much more stable. Single digit ES.
I don’t reload personally. Unfortunately, my dad has always done my reloading for me & we now live 1600 miles from one another. I’ve been shooting the Hornady 143gr ELD-X & Hendershot’s Custom ammo loaded with Berger 156gr EOL. My rifle has a 22” barrel so I’m certain I’m getting sub 2900fps, especially with the Berger bullets. Both shoot great, but I’m leaning toward the ELD -X’s just due to availability. I have an antelope hunt scheduled in August. Hopefully I have successful hunt so I can see what the rounds are capable of.

Last edited:
156 berger elite hunter loaded with R26. Getting just under quarter inch groups. The ballistics speak for themselves. Installed a ultradyne apollo max break and it's amazing to shoot.

Screenshot_20200608-221924_Strelok Pro.jpg

Took an awfully long time for me to choose what rifle, then save the cash, and a very long wait for it to arrive.
Got a Howa HS Precision in 6.5 prc.
Finally finished putting it through the paces and tweaking the loads.
Shoots a solid 1/2" group at 200yrds. with 156gr. Berger.
The 24" barrel will push that bullet to 2,976 average in my rifle, but my best groups run 2,883.
I think it is a complete joy to shoot. Recoil is very much lighter than I even hoped for. But the Howa isn't the lightest rifle out there. But not too heavy for me and it is very smooth loading action. Long action allows full advantage to be taken with heavy bullets.
It does shoot the Sierra flat base 160gr bullets accurately. But pretty slow and not great bc for longer distance hunting.
Just need to take it for a hike this fall and see what happens after I throw a hold through a few live targets.
Glad I bought all the brass and bullets I could get years ago.
Ammo is the only problem I could see for a guy to not buy a 6.5 prc right now.

If you like the 6.5x284, but want an affordable rifle off the shelf and affordable brass ( at least not during a panic buying market).
Then the 6.5 PRC is worth a hard look.

Took an awfully long time for me to choose what rifle, then save the cash, and a very long wait for it to arrive.
Got a Howa HS Precision in 6.5 prc.
Finally finished putting it through the paces and tweaking the loads.
Shoots a solid 1/2" group at 200yrds. with 156gr. Berger.
The 24" barrel will push that bullet to 2,976 average in my rifle, but my best groups run 2,883.
I think it is a complete joy to shoot. Recoil is very much lighter than I even hoped for. But the Howa isn't the lightest rifle out there. But not too heavy for me and it is very smooth loading action. Long action allows full advantage to be taken with heavy bullets.
It does shoot the Sierra flat base 160gr bullets accurately. But pretty slow and not great bc for longer distance hunting.
Just need to take it for a hike this fall and see what happens after I throw a hold through a few live targets.
Glad I bought all the brass and bullets I could get years ago.
Ammo is the only problem I could see for a guy to not buy a 6.5 prc right now.

If you like the 6.5x284, but want an affordable rifle off the shelf and affordable brass ( at least not during a panic buying market).
Then the 6.5 PRC is worth a hard look.
I have ran 3 different loads through my PRC now & all 3 are sub MOA. I really like the 156 Berger but I haven’t hunted with it. 1/2 groups at 200 yards is ridiculous!!! Lol that’s awesome. I’m getting just over an 1.25” at 200 with the Berger load. I know the gun is far more accurate than I am, so I’m super happy with that. I had planned to use it on an antelope hunt next month, but have since changed my mind & plan to use my muzzleloader.
0BA138B1-BCE0-4700-B0DD-286F5F140641.jpeg

Last edited:
I have ran 3 different loads through my PRC now & all 3 are sub MOA. I really like the 156 Berger but I haven’t hunted with it. 1/2 groups at 200 yards is ridiculous!!! Lol that’s awesome. I’m getting just over an 1.25” at 200 with the Berger load. I know the gun is far more accurate than I am, so I’m super happy with that. I had planned to use it on an antelope hunt next month, but have since changed my mind & plan to use my muzzleloader.
View attachment 46862
Good looking rifle.

Only thing I don't like about my Howa, is the light barrel contour.
It gets very hot after 6-7 shots.
But the first three shots out of a cold bore group fantastic.
I guess that isn't something to complain about.

Only thing I don't like about my Howa, is the light barrel contour.
It gets very hot after 6-7 shots.
But the first three shots out of a cold bore group fantastic.
I guess that isn't something to complain about.
I don’t think it can be helped. Mine has a carbon fiber barrel & will do the same thing. I will usually fire 4-5 rounds then set it in the shade to cool. It still gets pretty warm though. It doesn’t help that it’s usually over 100 degrees here in Vegas when I’m shooting either. Lol

Best of luck to them both. Please let us know how the gun / Berger’s do on an elk. People can say what they want about the 6.5 PRC, but you can’t dispute the accuracy of the caliber. Nice shooting. ??

I am eager to put it to the test on game.
The 156gr seams to really hold energy well out to 500yrds.
Should be a fantastic deer cartridge for sure. I believe plenty of elk will be taken cleanly too. As long as people realize there limitations and the cartridges limitations.
Should be fine on elk out to 400yrds, in my opinion.
But personally I would use my .300 win mag if I was on a elk only hunt.

I load for about 18 rounds last I checked. All old school stuff that people haven’t heard of like 222’s. My current go to is a 25-06.

What doesn’t change is f=m*a and all that equal and opposite reaction mumbo jumbo. I don’t care how fat the brass is nor how long the bullet is, physics doesn’t change.

Dont get me wrong, if I was younger and had more room in the safe I would have one of everything. One of my few holes in the arsenal is a 6.5, and I regret not picking up a 264 wm at one of those many chances. But enough about me.:)

Last edited:
I load for about 18 rounds last I checked. All old school stuff that people haven’t heard of like 222’s. My current go to is a 25-06.

What doesn’t change is f=m*a and all that equal and opposite reaction mumbo jumbo. I don’t care how fat the brass is nor how long the bullet is, physics doesn’t change.

Dont get me wrong, if I was younger and had more room in the safe I would have one of everything. Even a creedmoor. But enough about me.:)
I hear ya! I’m in no way trying to get in a pissing contest. I just know what a few of my guns can do. I know that a few of my rifles would shoot better in someone else’s hands.

This is with a .50 CVA muzzleloader at 100 yards last weekend.
It will shoot MOA.
78FE7C0A-87EF-41B1-94A0-19509D2770B4.jpeg

The high ballistic coefficient bullets have definitely been a bit of an area for debate. Heavy bullets going faster doesn't equal magic.
But I certainly can't claim to understand all the data and results I see for myself. Much less what some claim. So I understand the disbelievers.
Many cartridges are hyped out of reality.
The only data I bank on is my own confirmed, chronoed, and target verified bullet drop.
A ballistic chart or app is really just something to get in the ballpark and I personally confirm all my drops at all ranges I plan to actually shoot.
As far as penetration and energy, I use a regular piece of 1/4" steel plate.
If it can't do serious deformation or bore clean through, then it isn't making me confident it will perform on game.
Not very scientific.
But nothing I have shot has continued to live.

If I feel less recoil. Then that's about as confirmed as I need that it has less recoil.
I have personally had less or more felt recoil with the use of different powders pushing the same bullet at the same relative speed, from the same rifle, using the same brass.
Can't explain that at all.
But I don't think it's magic. Just physics I will likely never understand or even be able to gather data in the chamber and barrel, to even begin to try to understand.
Sometimes things just work.
That's good enough for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom