6.5 PRC?

highcountryhays

I have a 243 Reminton 700 that is not a tack driver. I have been thinking about re barreling to a 6.5 PRC. I wonder if the action is long enough? And any recommendations who to send it too. I want a gun that will shoot 1/2 inch at 100.

Last edited:
I think a short action will limit the cartridges ability. If I we're gonna build a 6.5prc I'd use a long action. Them newer bullets are really long.

You would need to either get another bolt with a magnum bolt face or open the bolt face to magnum and install an M16 extractor.
You can run a short action but is best to install the Wyatts PRC extended magazine kit. Feeds awesome.
If you don’t want to do all that just have it chambered in 6.5 Creed and go shoot.
LRI is quick and does good work. Find a barrel of your choice and send them the parts.

The Creedmoor isn't as deficient as some might think. We're getting 2900 fps with 140's and 3000+ fps with 130's.

I set the POI one minute high at 100 with 140's and it only takes 10.25 minutes come-ups and you're in the middle-center of the gong at 600.

Pretty impressive from a short action round.

I know, I know, you post on here wanting steak and we tell you where to buy chicken! LOL

Zeke

The 143/147 ELD and ELD-x bullets base are pretty much loaded at the neck/shoulder junction and will fit most if not all short action magazines. So you really don't need a long action unless of course you want to use Bergers or Sierra bullets.

You don't have a lot of free bore with this round. I believe it is .188 or so.

I am building a 6.5 PRC with a M70 in .243.
It has plenty of space in the mag well and action. Just have to open the bolt face or purchase a short mag bolt.
The Remington 700 short action will work, but the mag is too tight for flexible bullet seating.
A mag well box can be modified by a good Tig welder or a Smith with a mill can install a Wyatt's mag well.
May need a lot of twerking to a few things to get it to feed good though.
I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

The Creedmore will just need a barrel in that doner rifle.
But out of a 24" barrel the PRC is hands down pushing heavy bullets better.
I really feel it's much better to go with the 6.5 PRC if you are wanting an all around hunting rifle.

Give Kevin Weaver a call. He is out of Peyton, Colorado. Look under “Weaver Rifles” for his contact info. Great Smith and builder and will at a minimum answer your questions and get you going.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom