6.5CM for cow elk

Yessir. Done it and seen it done with that combination plenty of times now. Shot placement is everything obviously. My primary elk rifle is a 6.5x47 lapua now days and it’s done a fine job on elk the past 4 years.

Remember when 300 yds was a long shot? It still is for most people even if they won't admit it. For years Deseret made cow hunters 'qualify' to hunt cow elk. Simple process, hit a blank sheet of paper 2/3 times from 100 yds. No bench, no bullseye. Amazing how many people couldn't do it the first try. 4" was a good group. Real life hunting shots are much, much harder than most realize.
An elk can go a very long way with a poor hit from a 338 let alone a 6.5. It will also be very dead with a bullet of any size through both lungs.

I’ve shot 2 spikes with the eld-x. While I did recover both of them I was not very impressed with the performance. On the deer and antelope I’ve shot with them they were amazing. But for elk I like the 140 grain nosler partition better. Not as high of bc as the hornady but you probably shouldn’t be shooting at elk far enough for that to matter much anyways. You’ll get better penetration and a little more forgiveness on a less than perfect shot. I feel that if you were to put an eld on the shoulder of an elk at 250 yards you might not even make it in to the vital cavity before it comes apart into a million tiny pieces. Just my experience with them.

I’ve shot 2 spikes with the eld-x. While I did recover both of them I was not very impressed with the performance. On the deer and antelope I’ve shot with them they were amazing. But for elk I like the 140 grain nosler partition better. Not as high of bc as the hornady but you probably shouldn’t be shooting at elk far enough for that to matter much anyways. You’ll get better penetration and a little more forgiveness on a less than perfect shot. I feel that if you were to put an eld on the shoulder of an elk at 250 yards you might not even make it in to the vital cavity before it comes apart into a million tiny pieces. Just my experience with them.
I've had the same experience with 200gr ELD-X'S in my 300

If you’re gonna use a 6.5 cm on elk at long distance,
You might as well hunt elk with a .22 at close range.

You’ll get consistent results. But nothing to be proud of.

All this talk about the gun not being big enough is nonsense. Put that bullet in the vitals and watch em drop! Even at long distance. The creedmoor is an excellent cartridge with plenty of power to kill bulls and cows. I know from experience.

It's not big enough because jim zumbo says so, probably.

All this talk about the gun not being big enough is nonsense. Put that bullet in the vitals and watch em drop! Even at long distance. The creedmoor is an excellent cartridge with plenty of power to kill bulls and cows. I know from experience.
That’s the problem with 90% of hunters. They need a bigger gun to give them the margin of error needed to have a chance at killing instead of wounding.

Killed elk with a 243, if you hit them right they die. Bulls and cows bullet structure is what makes the difference penetration

I shot a bull moose with a .243 and another with a 7-08. Neither one went 5 yards. Doesn't mean it is a good idea. Each time it was the only rifle I owned. (I really wanted to use my bow but on both it came down to the last chance of the season.)

Just shoot a decent bullet in it.

Plenty of good answers here and some good humor. People have killed elk for years with 140g bullets out of .270 it will work with the creedmore too. Just don’t try and be a long range superstar and shoot crappy LR target bullets.

I watched a good sized mule deer buck take 3 Berger VLDs from a 6.5 and stand there. I’m certain it would have dropped eventually but in the time it was on its feet it could have covered a lot of ground.

Be careful not to soil your Kuiu solid skinny jeans, don’t spill your pumpkin spice latte, be sure you drink your Mountain Ops and thank all of your pro staff products properly in the video and on your instagram hashtags!

Be careful not to soil your Kuiu solid skinny jeans, don’t spill your pumpkin spice latte, be sure you drink your Mountain Ops and thank all of your pro staff products properly in the video and on your instagram hashtags!
Couldn’t have said it any better?

you forgot one thing though…..

Be sure to tuck your ears under your flatty. It helps others to identify how tough you wish you were.

Couldn’t have said it any better?

you forgot one thing though…..

Be sure to tuck your ears under your flatty. It helps others to identify how tough you wish you were.
I mean, a backcountry beast packing a 6.5CM already knows that?!

I also didn’t figure I needed to tell him to be sure to fire up the stove on the tailgate and boil up a mountain house along with that mountain ops prior to recovery as nutrition is life. Or, to be sure to close the pickup door as he walks 100y to where the forky he just ground swatted from the truck opening morning is laying, then do the gutless method and be sure to take pics of the loaded pack next to his e-bike and the backstrap trophy photo before pulling the truck up and loading it all in the back.

Finally, I’m sure he knew that the meat will spoil if it’s not packed into a properly pre-iced down YETI cooler.

Some things are too obvious?!

full disclosure, I hate this caliber. I don't really but I hate how it has become so popular. if Creedmore's last name was Jones, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If I had multiple calibers to choose from, it wouldn't be my first choice.

My thought on elk is a .284 diameter/160-grain bullet minimum. But if it's all you have, take it and go hunting for cow elk.

6.5cm isn’t popular because it’s good. It’s popular because it’s trendy. There is a difference, and some people get that, some don’t.

There are several 6.5 caliber rifles that do what the 6.5cm does only better if you want a rifle with the BC advantages of a 6.5mm bullet.

That said, a deer or elk isn’t going to care whether the 140g bullet that hits it came from a 6.5x47, .260, 6.5-284, 6.5-300, 6.5BR, .270, .270wsm, 7mm-08 or whatever, just shoot a good bullet. It’s just fun to poke fun at 6.5cm shooters and watch them run for their safe spaces ??.

I love things that are popular....case in point, my favorite caliber is the 30-06. I have four rifles in that caliber. it's popular because of its performance and versatility. Not because it has a trendy last name or it's something new.

The 6.5CM is third on my list out of the current 6.5 cartridges out there. 1) 264 win mag 2) 6.5 PRC. then 3) 6.5CM. I guess the 6.5 gap is pretty good too but not very well known.

I love things that are popular....case in point, my favorite caliber is the 30-06. I have four rifles in that caliber. it's popular because of its performance and versatility. Not because it has a trendy last name or it's something new.

The 6.5CM is third on my list out of the current 6.5 cartridges out there. 1) 264 win mag 2) 6.5 PRC. then 3) 6.5CM. I guess the 6.5 gap is pretty good too but not very well known.
IF I was to give in to the 6.5mm trend, I’d have to go all the way up to the 6.5-300wby

If you’re going to have one, get the biggest fast one. It may melt down barrels but it would be a hunting rifle. Would last the rest of my life.

“I love things that are popular....case in point, my favorite caliber is the 30-06. I have four rifles in that caliber. it's popular because of its performance and versatility. Not because it has a trendy last name or it's something new.”
Cartridge

IF I was to give in to the 6.5mm trend, I’d have to go all the way up to the 6.5-300wby

If you’re going to have one, get the biggest fast one. It may melt down barrels but it would be a hunting rifle. Would last the rest of my life.
Good point. Forgot about the wby.

When I got married 25 years ago, I bought my first deer rifle. It's a Ruger M77 in .280. Except for last years elk hunt (used my Dads .300 WSM), it is the only rifle I have taken a big game animal with....deer, antelope and pigs. That gun will probably be the only gun I use for the next several years as it has served me well for so long. My 2nd gun will be a new .300 WSM for elk....or I may just borrow my Dads when needed and save the $$ for coke and strippers. I'll probably do that now that I think about it.

When I got married 25 years ago, I bought my first deer rifle. It's a Ruger M77 in .280. Except for last years elk hunt (used my Dads .300 WSM), it is the only rifle I have taken a big game animal with....deer, antelope and pigs. That gun will probably be the only gun I use for the next several years as it has served me well for so long. My 2nd gun will be a new .300 WSM for elk....or I may just borrow my Dads when needed and save the $$ for coke and strippers. I'll probably do that now that I think about it.
I have a Christensen 300WSM you can barrow anytime! ?? Save your money & just send pics of the strippers. Lol

That sounds fun....but....I don't think I've ever seen a good looking stripper in Minnesota, have you? :)
You'd be surprised of the talent we have here in the midwest, just come in the Summer. By December we're all pasty white and you might not get all of the coke off. That sh!ts expensive.

Make sure your man bun is secured before your shot :p
Those urban manbun lumberjack wanna be hunters crack me up. Saw one of them in Jarbridge 071 a couple years ago at the Outdoor Inn. We came in for a hot shower and fuel after being in the field for 6 days. Him and I guess maybe his boy toy was setting at the bar drinking some kind of foo foo drink all decked out in brand new hunting gear you still smell the new on it when you walked by, oh and there brand new black Northface jackets. They said they were waiting on someone to show them what to do ?
After we got done cleaning up we sat at the bar for a couple of beers and a shot of Jack. One of them asked ....hey have you guys ever done any long range shooting? Well my smart-ass mouth said yeah. Long range shooting is like golf but for men. Guess I offended them cause one said to the other...let's go it's too redneck in here for me. Bye bye now boys. ????

What are y’all’s thoughts on using a 6.5 CM with 143 Eldx for cow elk? Enough gun to take one down? Thanks!
REAL WORLD REVIEW

I shot a large bull last fall with that same bullet and caliber. The bull was broadside and feeding at 330 yards. First shot was behind the should. He hunched up and showed a solid hit. Second shot, also behind the shoulder, folded him in his tracks. We worked up to him and he was still breathing. I put a 12ga slug ( grizzly country) into him to finish him off.

Upon gutting the bull I saw that both bullets exploded inside the chest cavity and did not make it to, or through the far side. It should be noted that the shoulder was not hit. My conclusion is, I’d never use that round again on elk. Yes it worked, but the margin for error is small. If that bull was in thick cover or ran, there wouldn’t have been much, if any, blood to follow.

EDIT

I skimmed over ELDX. I used a ELDM. Still, my conclusion would be to use a controlled expansion bullet that won’t explode. The 6.5 is fine, but use a tough bullet.

Last edited:
I was guilty of calling it a posermoor but I finally showed off my manbun and tried one it was amazing the wind resistance and down range accuracy of the cartridge. I shot a couple off the hood of my idling vehicle yesterday and it amazes me how much more accurate over 300 yds it is than any other rifle I have. I have a bunch of them. Performance on game I can’t verify but hopefully in a week or 2 I will tell u as I’m hunting bear in Colorado with it.

EB0CF6F5-328A-4019-94CE-B5E62F75D409.jpeg

140 grain core lokt. Off idling pickup after half dozen wine coolers resting on my rolled up American fighter hoodie.

I've always used my trusty Remington 700ADL 30-06 with 165gr Hornady V-Max with great success for cows and Bulls over the years. I did buy a beautiful Christensen .300 Win mag last summer during the Vid but have not purchased my scope yet.

In the hands of someone who understands the distance and caliber , i see nothing wrong with it , no different than someone shooting 1000+ with a big magnum

I was guilty of calling it a posermoor but I finally showed off my manbun and tried one it was amazing the wind resistance and down range accuracy of the cartridge. I shot a couple off the hood of my idling vehicle yesterday and it amazes me how much more accurate over 300 yds it is than any other rifle I have. I have a bunch of them. Performance on game I can’t verify but hopefully in a week or 2 I will tell u as I’m hunting bear in Colorado with it.

View attachment 51333
140 grain core lokt. Off idling pickup after half dozen wine coolers resting on my rolled up American fighter hoodie.
Lol! I’m turning you in for attempting to deface a state sign with a 6.5 BB Gun!?

REAL WORLD REVIEW

I shot a large bull last fall with that same bullet and caliber. The bull was broadside and feeding at 330 yards. First shot was behind the should. He hunched up and showed a solid hit. Second shot, also behind the shoulder, folded him in his tracks. We worked up to him and he was still breathing. I put a 12ga slug ( grizzly country) into him to finish him off.

Upon gutting the bull I saw that both bullets exploded inside the chest cavity and did not make it to, or through the far side. It should be noted that the shoulder was not hit. My conclusion is, I’d never use that round again on elk. Yes it worked, but the margin for error is small. If that bull was in thick cover or ran, there wouldn’t have been much, if any, blood to follow.

EDIT

I skimmed over ELDX. I used a ELDM. Still, my conclusion would be to use a controlled expansion bullet that won’t explode. The 6.5 is fine, but use a tough bullet.
It's the bullet. If I were to use a 6.5 CM for cow elk, I'd use the 140 gr Barnes TTSX. That bullet will do wonders and has great penetration. 6.5 CM is plenty for elk, at closer ranges. I have one for my kids and one for the wife. They are a lot of fun to shoot. Of course, I also have larger calibers(7mm Rem Mag, 30-06 etc). But, it is how you shoot and where you hit the animal with the right bullets. I have never shot the ELD, but here nothing but bad about them.

Except for a little thing called the conservation of energy...
If you were to look at ballistics charts, you would actually see that a 6.5 CM with a 140 grain TTSX has the same knockdown power of a 300 WSM with a 150 grain at 500. So to say that it is better to shoot a larger caliber at 1000 just is not correct.

If you were to look at ballistics charts, you would actually see that a 6.5 CM with a 140 grain TTSX has the same knockdown power of a 300 WSM with a 150 grain at 500. So to say that it is better to shoot a larger caliber at 1000 just is not correct.

You probably aren't comparing apples to apples. At what velocity out of the 300 WSM at 500 yds does a given bullet weight in that caliber equal the velocity of the 6.5 at 140 grs at 500 yds?

My guess is that it's more than 150 grs. It would be foolish to shoot that out of the 300 out to 500 yds on an elk. The minimum should be 180 grs, a little thing called the conservation of energy, aka, not losing it to whatever...

606 yds, bull elk. 143 eldx. Dropped D.O.A. Stuck underside skin opposite shoulder. F-this man bun bullsh** . Find a gun you can shoot with an ammo that makes sense and kill shi* at a yardage you feel comfortable with. Favorite elk gun in the 6.5 needmoor no bueno..however,

F42AD967-C5E3-40A1-B39E-9CA8336CA271.jpeg

Those urban manbun lumberjack wanna be hunters crack me up. Saw one of them in Jarbridge 071 a couple years ago at the Outdoor Inn. We came in for a hot shower and fuel after being in the field for 6 days. Him and I guess maybe his boy toy was setting at the bar drinking some kind of foo foo drink all decked out in brand new hunting gear you still smell the new on it when you walked by, oh and there brand new black Northface jackets. They said they were waiting on someone to show them what to do ?
After we got done cleaning up we sat at the bar for a couple of beers and a shot of Jack. One of them asked ....hey have you guys ever done any long range shooting? Well my smart-ass mouth said yeah. Long range shooting is like golf but for men. Guess I offended them cause one said to the other...let's go it's too redneck in here for me. Bye bye now boys. ????

Damn gold your Hollywood bound.. great script you laid out, however I highly doubt said scene materialized as said. JMHO..

New Northface? Black? You must been lit or color blind that’s Sitka in the house!

You probably aren't comparing apples to apples. At what velocity out of the 300 WSM at 500 yds does a given bullet weight in that caliber equal the velocity of the 6.5 at 140 grs at 500 yds?

My guess is that it's more than 150 grs. It would be foolish to shoot that out of the 300 out to 500 yds on an elk. The minimum should be 180 grs, a little thing called the conservation of energy, aka, not losing it to whatever...
Im comparing as close as possible weights. So, it is apples to apples. Comparing a 140 gr to a 180 gr is not apples to apples. 140 on the 6.5 and 150 on the 300. If you go to the 160s, there isnt much difference above the 150s. I reload all of my own ammo, and would be more than confident shooting an elk with the 6.5 CM topped with the 140 TTSX that I load out to 300 yards. I can put them in tight groups, and have played with seating depth and powders. The ballistics I get out of them are a lot better than the factory ballistics. But, for your info, I am comparing factory info in the situation above.

Now, if you compare the 180s, they only have about 100 lb ft of energy more at 500 than the 6.5 CM at 300. But the bullet drop is a lot higher. So yes, the 6.5 CM is absolutely enough gun at 300 yards for any elk, not just a cow elk. You do have to find the right bullets for the gun, which helps if you reload.

Im comparing as close as possible weights. So, it is apples to apples. Comparing a 140 gr to a 180 gr is not apples to apples. 140 on the 6.5 and 150 on the 300. If you go to the 160s, there isnt much difference above the 150s. I reload all of my own ammo, and would be more than confident shooting an elk with the 6.5 CM topped with the 140 TTSX that I load out to 300 yards. I can put them in tight groups, and have played with seating depth and powders. The ballistics I get out of them are a lot better than the factory ballistics. But, for your info, I am comparing factory info in the situation above.

You can't compare independent variables, you have to compare dependent variables, in this case, velocity. The other issue you have is one bullet has a very high BC, the other doesn't and will not be an apples to apples comparison downrange.

You have to choose a bullet weight and BC for the 300 that will give the same velocities downrange relative to the 6.5 for a valid comparison.

We aren't doing a science experiment. Just showing proof is there that the 6.5 CM is a viable option for elk at a reasonable distance. And you are correct, the 6.5 has a better BC, which is why it retains higher energy percentages down range. People do not like the creedmoor because it is a popular cartridge. I got the two I got for kids and wife because I did a lot of research. You simply cannot match the ballistics with the recoil it gets. Only way is to port, but that can make a gun very unfun to shoot, especially for kids. The 6.5 CM has the ballistics to kill big game at reasonable ranges, but thanks to "long range hunting" and "if it's bigger it's better" type people, it gets bad hype. I would never shoot a gun that I am not comfortable will get the job done. Like I mentioned, I have several rifles, all the way up to 300's, and I enjoy shooting their 6.5's more than any, because their recoil is non-existent, and have amazing downrange accuracy. I almost talked myself out of the first one for the kids, because of talk on the internet. Bought it, and went out a couple weeks later and bought another one for my wife. She absolutely loved the gun. And is 115 pounds, so recoil can bother her. She will shoot the bigger guns, but I can see she is not enjoying it. Same for my daughters, they are smaller framed, and cannot take the recoil like I can. Recoil does not bother me whatsoever, but had to ensure my kids and wife enjoy shooting as much as I do. And the 6.5 CM did that.

Side note, I was thinking .243 for kids, but the downrange performance just doesn't cut it for me. .270 as well. Like I said, I did A LOT of research on their gun, and the 6.5 CM was a great all around cartridge for them. They can go out and shoot long range with me, brag about how their bullets dont drop like some of mine do. How they only have to hold first notch and I have to go three. It makes it fun for them. I have all the confidence in the world that it would take down an elk at 300 yards with a well placed shot. Bigger guns just allow for that margin of error, and that is all. They do not kill them any deader. I saw my dad shoot a bull three times in the heart with a 300 WSM, 180 gr Partitions, at 100 yards, and took it like a champ, had to anchor it with a fourth shot. Huge wound channel through chest, but somehow stayed on it's feet. Also saw an elk shot horribly with a .243 by a kid, died within 100 yards. Some animals are just tougher, within a species, and that's all there is to it.

Rather than buying another rifle, I started loading up a 150 gr high BC bullet for my .270 for the kids to use. Lower recoil and good downrange performance at 500 yds.

We aren't doing a science experiment. Just showing proof is there that the 6.5 CM is a viable option for elk at a reasonable distance. And you are correct, the 6.5 has a better BC, which is why it retains higher energy percentages down range. People do not like the creedmoor because it is a popular cartridge. I got the two I got for kids and wife because I did a lot of research. You simply cannot match the ballistics with the recoil it gets. Only way is to port, but that can make a gun very unfun to shoot, especially for kids. The 6.5 CM has the ballistics to kill big game at reasonable ranges, but thanks to "long range hunting" and "if it's bigger it's better" type people, it gets bad hype. I would never shoot a gun that I am not comfortable will get the job done. Like I mentioned, I have several rifles, all the way up to 300's, and I enjoy shooting their 6.5's more than any, because their recoil is non-existent, and have amazing downrange accuracy. I almost talked myself out of the first one for the kids, because of talk on the internet. Bought it, and went out a couple weeks later and bought another one for my wife. She absolutely loved the gun. And is 115 pounds, so recoil can bother her. She will shoot the bigger guns, but I can see she is not enjoying it. Same for my daughters, they are smaller framed, and cannot take the recoil like I can. Recoil does not bother me whatsoever, but had to ensure my kids and wife enjoy shooting as much as I do. And the 6.5 CM did that.

Any caliber with the right load combination and conditions will perform when needed. Where the CM gets all the man-bun flak is because of the crowd that thinks it has revolutionized the hunting world and that no other cartridge can out perform it when in fact many can.

It boils down to whether or not you want a new rifle and cartridge to goof around with...

Any caliber with the right load combination and conditions will perform when needed. Where the CM gets all the man-bun flak is because of the crowd that thinks it has revolutionized the hunting world and that no other cartridge can out perform it when in fact many can.

It boils down to whether or not you want a new rifle and cartridge to goof around with...
I understand that. It did not revolutionize the game. But, it is a cartridge that can be used for a wide variety of applications. I never said no cartridge can out perform it. For me, I would take a 7mm Rem Mag over it any day of the week. The point I was getting across was answering the OP question. Everyone saying it is not big enough is saying that out of inexperience. Or thinking they have to shoot elk from a mile away. When 99.9% of people shouldn't be shooting over 250, let alone 1000 yards at an animal. Thinking that oh I hit a target one time out of ten from a bench in perfect conditions, I can replicate it in the field!

I understand that. It did not revolutionize the game. But, it is a cartridge that can be used for a wide variety of applications. I never said no cartridge can out perform it. For me, I would take a 7mm Rem Mag over it any day of the week. The point I was getting across was answering the OP question. Everyone saying it is not big enough is saying that out of inexperience. Or thinking they have to shoot elk from a mile away. When 99.9% of people shouldn't be shooting over 250, let alone 1000 yards at an animal. Thinking that oh I hit a target one time out of ten from a bench in perfect conditions, I can replicate it in the field!

Which is why I said what I said in post #8.

This circular debate is always fun to read. My youth (now 18) hunter son has harvested 6 deer and 4 elk (cows to 6 pt bull) with a .243. Two of those animals at just beyond 400 yds. All one-shot kills and DRT, we haven't had to track or chase one of them. All with a 95 gr bonded bullet. All about shot placement and confidence. I am not bragging on him, just supporting a statement relative to caliber not being a quality measure of ability to anchor an animal. Shoot often, practice, practice, practice, use a quality bullet and ensure confidence in shot placement...the rest is what it is.

This circular debate is always fun to read. My youth (now 18) hunter son has harvested 6 deer and 4 elk (cows to 6 pt bull) with a .243. Two of those animals at just beyond 400 yds. All one-shot kills and DRT, we haven't had to track or chase one of them. All with a 95 gr bonded bullet. All about shot placement and confidence. I am not bragging on him, just supporting a statement relative to caliber not being a quality measure of ability to anchor an animal. Shoot often, practice, practice, practice, use a quality bullet and ensure confidence in shot placement...the rest is what it is.
I agree with what you said. Bigger is not always better. Especially when the recoil causes sporadic shooting.

This discussion has renewed my interest is hunting elk with my 6.5mm-06.
I have no idea what kind of velocity you get out of that round, but if it is around the 3100 mark select your bullet wisely. I have never personally hunted elk with my 6.5PRC but I wasn’t happy at all with the 140gr Nosler Accubond out of my gun on a pronghorn. I shot him twice & both bullets completely came apart. I have since switched over to a 130 gr Barnes TSX. I don’t know if I got a bad batch of the Nosler bullets or what, but I’m optimistic that I definitely won’t have that problem with a solid copper round.

I have no idea what kind of velocity you get out of that round, but if it is around the 3100 mark select your bullet wisely. I have never personally hunted elk with my 6.5PRC but I wasn’t happy at all with the 140gr Nosler Accubond out of my gun on a pronghorn. I shot him twice & both bullets completely came apart. I have since switched over to a 130 gr Barnes TSX. I don’t know if I got a bad batch of the Nosler bullets or what, but I’m optimistic that I definitely won’t have that problem with a solid copper round.
I have never had good luck with the nosler bullets on animals. The Barnes have been good to me. They get almost 100% retention every time. I've used them when they first came out for muzzleloaders till now. I use the TTSX though, as they get a little better velocity retention. I reload them in every gun I have for hunting, well that shoots them well anyways. Have only had one gun that didn't like them. And use their match burners for sighting in. The bullets fly nearly identical. Makes it easy. Get 100 Match Burners for $25 and 50 TTSX for around $40 depending on caliber. Spend cents on the dollar for sighting in and target practice. Then ensure they are good to go with TTSX and hunt with them.

I have never had good luck with the nosler bullets on animals. The Barnes have been good to me. They get almost 100% retention every time. I've used them when they first came out for muzzleloaders till now. I use the TTSX though, as they get a little better velocity retention. I reload them in every gun I have for hunting, well that shoots them well anyways. Have only had one gun that didn't like them. And use their match burners for sighting in. The bullets fly nearly identical. Makes it easy. Get 100 Match Burners for $25 and 50 TTSX for around $40 depending on caliber. Spend cents on the dollar for sighting in and target practice. Then ensure they are good to go with TTSX and hunt with them.
U shall be picked apart by the accubond army...we all know if u don’t accubond it u eldx it these days. The accubond as I stated earlier in the thread may or may not hold up at 3000 FPS. Just as others have experienced

U shall be picked apart by the accubond army...we all know if u don’t accubond it u eldx it these days. The accubond as I stated earlier in the thread may or may not hold up at 3000 FPS. Just as others have experienced
I am not a fan of either the accubond or ELDX. I saw an eldx from 7 mm WSM absolutely explode on a twig hit. Looked like a shotgun shot on the other side. Took three shots in the boiler out of the same gun, 120 GR to bring down an antelope. Definitely was not happy with that performance. It has been a while since I have witnessed accubonds, but watched my dad shoot a bull elk with a 300 WSM at 100 yards with 180 gr accubonds, and none of the bullets had above 50 % weight retention. I will see this upcoming weekend on the accubonds though, as I had to load some for my 7MM Rem mag for my dad to use on oryx. I did not have anything over 140 grains for any of my guns. So, 160 gr accubonds was all we could find for any caliber I own. Bullets have been slim pickings. I have quite a few 140 gr Barnes and 120 Gr barnes, but nothing above that. So, with my dad drawing the OIL oryx tag here in NM, Stallion Range, had to load something a little heavier. They shoot decent out of my 7 mag, but we will see how they respond to an oryx. He also is taking some 140 gr Barnes TTSX just in case. Hopefully he isn't chasing a wounded oryx for miles due to accubonds.

I am not a fan of either the accubond or ELDX. I saw an eldx from 7 mm WSM absolutely explode on a twig hit. Looked like a shotgun shot on the other side. Took three shots in the boiler out of the same gun, 120 GR to bring down an antelope. Definitely was not happy with that performance. It has been a while since I have witnessed accubonds, but watched my dad shoot a bull elk with a 300 WSM at 100 yards with 180 gr accubonds, and none of the bullets had above 50 % weight retention. I will see this upcoming weekend on the accubonds though, as I had to load some for my 7MM Rem mag for my dad to use on oryx. I did not have anything over 140 grains for any of my guns. So, 160 gr accubonds was all we could find for any caliber I own. Bullets have been slim pickings. I have quite a few 140 gr Barnes and 120 Gr barnes, but nothing above that. So, with my dad drawing the OIL oryx tag here in NM, Stallion Range, had to load something a little heavier. They shoot decent out of my 7 mag, but we will see how they respond to an oryx. He also is taking some 140 gr Barnes TTSX just in case. Hopefully he isn't chasing a wounded oryx for miles due to accubonds.

We shot an off range a couple of years ago with a 150 gr AB long range out of a .270 at 305 yds, frontal shot. Bullet broke the neck and continued on taking out the right lung. Dropped in it's tracks.

Yeah, they work...

Milligan, totally agree on 6.5! Congratulations on those late cow hunts! Impressive! That late youth hunt used to be a “sleeper unit” for many years. Not so anymore as is the case with everything else. Continued success with the youth.

We shot an off range a couple of years ago with a 150 gr AB long range out of a .270 at 305 yds, frontal shot. Bullet broke the neck and continued on taking out the right lung. Dropped in it's tracks.

Yeah, they work...
I think it is a velocity issue. The ones I have experience with were travelling a little over 3000 fps on impact. These 160s are doing a little under that at the muzzle, so hopefully it'll be a 150-300 yard shot and be traveling a little slower. I think the 3000+ fps is a little too fast for them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom