6.5CM vs 300 RUM

AaronS

Planning to bring both on my CO muley hunt but haven't decided who's the starter yet. Thoughts? With the RUM I'm shooting 200 gr AB, the 6.5 likes 147 gr ELD Match best. I was very skeptical of this as a hunting round at first but have had stellar performance on big whitetail to date. I shoot both very effectively, have kills on elk out to 600 with the 300 RUM. Advantage to the 6.5 would be in weight of the rifle as well as noise (recently had a brake put on the 300) and recoil obviously. Thoughts?

I guess really looking for feedback on whether 6.5CM is enough rifle to trust on a big mature muley out to 400-500 yards....

6.5 is my go-to for muleys. I focus on bullet performance and required velocity to ensure optimal expansion.

I load Berger 140gr standard hunting VLDs and according to their spec sheet, as long as the projectile makes contact at 1,800fps or more, you're good.

Based on my ballistics calculator, my hand loads are good beyond 500 yards, although that is way past my comfort level.

All of my shots have been pass-throughs with 1.5" diameter average exit wound channels. The deer have all fell on the spot.

Some folks are concerned about the pass-throughs and the tendency for the Bergers to 'grenade' inside the deer but this projectile works for me. Double-lung, high shoulder, doesn't matter (in my experience).

Personally, I would not recommend the ELD Match bullets as the jacket is thicker than their hunting counterparts and may not expand properly. However, it seems to be accurate in your rifle and you've taken big whitetails with this setup...so I suppose don't fix what ain't broke. :)

My specs:

22" barrel
2863 fps at the muzzle
42.6gr powder charge
0.040 jump to the lands seating depth
Large rifle primer
Norma brass

It's a hot load, but so far no pressure signs at all.

The one you shoot the best is most important. For 400-500 yds they both will work fine. 600 and beyond the RUM will shine. So depends on the country and how far you can shoot.

For me I rather pack a lighter gun and sacrifice some shooting distance since you will carry way more than you shoot. the Creed will do fine out to 600ish.

6.5 is my go-to for muleys. I focus on bullet performance and required velocity to ensure optimal expansion.

I load Berger 140gr standard hunting VLDs and according to their spec sheet, as long as the projectile makes contact at 1,800fps or more, you're good.

Based on my ballistics calculator, my hand loads are good beyond 500 yards, although that is way past my comfort level.

All of my shots have been pass-throughs with 1.5" diameter average exit wound channels. The deer have all fell on the spot.

Some folks are concerned about the pass-throughs and the tendency for the Bergers to 'grenade' inside the deer but this projectile works for me. Double-lung, high shoulder, doesn't matter (in my experience).

Personally, I would not recommend the ELD Match bullets as the jacket is thicker than their hunting counterparts and may not expand properly. However, it seems to be accurate in your rifle and you've taken big whitetails with this setup...so I suppose don't fix what ain't broke. :)

My specs:

22" barrel
2863 fps at the muzzle
42.6gr powder charge
Large rifle primer
Norma brass

That speed, with that barrel length is a pretty fuggin good indicator of being over pressure. What powder are you using?

My specs:

22" barrel
2863 fps at the muzzle
42.6gr powder charge
Large rifle primer
Norma brass

Thanks for all the info! I have plenty of time so I may do a little playing around with some reloads. I have a buddy that's had good luck with the Berger 140's as a hunting round as well.

The one you shoot the best is most important. For 400-500 yds they both will work fine. 600 and beyond the RUM will shine. So depends on the country and how far you can shoot.

For me I rather pack a lighter gun and sacrifice some shooting distance since you will carry way more than you shoot. the Creed will do fine out to 600ish.
Thanks muleman. I want to be sure I'm packing something effective and ethical to 500. Sounds like either will be fine. I shoot both comparably, just so much noise on the 300 with the brake, which is why I held off on adding it for so long. I hate having to worry about ear plugs on western hunts, and want to consider my spotter as well if I have a buddy along on the trip. Burnt up my first barrel so when I put a new one on I went ahead and had it threaded for a brake. But I did have my guy do a threaded cap too so I can always just throw that on the end.

Thanks for all the info! I have plenty of time so I may do a little playing around with some reloads. I have a buddy that's had good luck with the Berger 140's as a hunting round as well.

You're welcome and good luck on working up a good load recipe!

That speed, with that barrel length is a pretty fuggin good indicator of being over pressure. What powder are you using?

Believe you me, I have no explanation for it. This combination of rifle, powder, primer, case and projectile seems like voodoo magic.

No signs at all. No primer cupping, the primer pocket is still tight. No bulging around the case head. The case necks are good (no cracking).

To blow your mind even further, I even loaded a round with 43.0 grains and STILL no pressure. I chickened out and backed it down to 42.6gr where I get the best SD (5fps). My most consistent recipe. On the flip side, my target rifle is also chambered in 6.5 and it will start to show pressure signs at 42.0.

As far as powder, I started off with RL-17, but my SD's were too high (double digits) and I found pressure signs at 41.7gr. I'm using H4350 now. No difference in the heat or cold as far as velocity.

For me, consistent neck tension is key. I use bushings in my sizing die. Out of curiosity, I tried trimming the case necks and swabbing the inside of the neck with graphite powder but realized I was getting carried away doing needless work for a hunting rifle. It's already shooting sub-MOA so I left well enough alone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom